• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Fuel cell and body panels

Purged1978

Getting ready to start a build, will be needing a fuel cell and body panels, these are the 2 things that have me stumped! I'll be running a 4.3 tbi and right now my fuel pump is in the tank. As far as body panels I have no clue where to look or what to use!! Any advice?

3003 or 5052 aluminum. 0.080" body panels and 0.125" for the cell. 6061 welded may crack over time.

yankster said:
3003 or 5052 aluminum. 0.080" body panels and 0.125" for the cell. 6061 welded may crack over time.
This is exactly what I used. So far so good. That thickness for panels is also nice since you can use one of those little sheet metal punches to make your holes.

I was just about to post up the same question on the body panels. How about floors? Any reason to go a little thicker? I don't have doors on the buggy so I foresee putting my full weight on the floors as I get in and out. I do have decent support in the floor board area but??

I went steel on the floor. Might have been 16 ga. I had to weld some flanges on and some nuts on the back side so steel was much easier to accomplish that with. But even the .080 aluminum would probably be thick enough if you're not spanning much more than 12".

I have a CPI 4.3, I run a e2000 inline fuel pump, it's off a late 80's-early 90's ford truck, so you can run any fuel cell and not worry about having a in tank pump.

Re: Re: Fuel cell and body panels

zukimaster said:
I have a CPI 4.3, I run a e2000 inline fuel pump, it's off a late 80's-early 90's ford truck, so you can run any fuel cell and not worry about having a in tank pump.
I am running the same pump for my ls, but will be upgrading to a walbro 255 soon, for about $100 its a much better pump

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. I am about to get rid of my stock tank and get a fuel cell and I have been looking for an inline pump but I don't know how effective or reliable they are. I don't need a performance pump. It's just for a 2.4L Tacoma. Any more insite on inline filters?? I'll check out the ones in the previous posts. ..

What gauge metal would y'all use?
I will probably paint my buggy instead of powder, so metal would be better for me.

In running 3/16' Lexan for body panels. Works awesome and is cheap to fix. You paint the inside like a RC car.