• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Psc pump?

skipnrocks

Last time I was wheelin I had some oil leaking from the power steering Psc pump. I checked all the fittings and nothing leaking. It was leaking a bit but only when running. Is it typical of the large print to fail like this? That seals the reaivoir on?

I've had this happen twice. At the time the reservoir was mounted to the frame. I mounted the reservoir to the motor and haven't had a problem since.

1993toy said:
I've had this happen twice. At the time the reservoir was mounted to the frame. I mounted the reservoir to the motor and haven't had a problem since then.

Are you talking about the remote reisvoir making the one on the pump leak? Interesting. Maybe that's part of it. I'll have to call oreilleys in the am and see if they stock a Saginaw series o ring to reseal the van to the pump to get me out for the weekend. Then maybe look to move the remote one if it happens again!!

Yep the remote reservoir. My drivetrain is mounted with rubber bushings. PSC said between the motor moving and frame flex, the feed line was pulling the can off the pump. By the way, I'm running a P pump.

Got it figured out. Pulling the fittings off the back of the pump and found one of the prints for the pressure line had been knicked when installed and had finally given up. 30 min and a 10 cent oring and it was back together

Glad you got your issue fixed but I will throw this in here for others that may look this thread up. Lots of PSC reservoirs are notorious for leaking around the cap. I used to think it was part of life but turns out the factory o-ring is too thin. Credit to my buddy Wizzo for figuring this out. Get the next size up o-ring and your cap sealing issues will go away completely. 3mm wide 70mm ID, 76mm OD to be exact.

I've also chased a phantom leak that was coming from the front seal of the pump and only when the fluid was hot. Took awhile to figure that one out. Apparently that seal can go out.

redneckengineered said:
Glad you got your issue fixed but I will throw this in here for others that may look this thread up. Lots of PSC reservoirs are notorious for leaking around the cap. I used to think it was part of life but turns out the factory o-ring is too thin. Credit to my buddy Wizzo for figuring this out. Get the next size up o-ring and your cap sealing issues will go away completely. 3mm wide 70mm ID to be exact.

I've also chased a phantom leak that was coming from the front seal of the pump and only when the fluid was hot. Took awhile to figure that one out. Apparently that seal can go out.
Did you source it locally, or found them cheap online?