• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

What's the oldest vehicle you have ever driven?

HAHAHAHA! yall had to look like you was doing a remake of Coal Miners Daughter running around Harlan in a 3B. " Dewey you wont never get that thing up here to butcher holler." :rolf: :rolf:
Bet it was an absolute blast though.

44BRAND said:
HAHAHAHA! yall had to look like you was doing a remake of Coal Miners Daughter running around Harlan in a 3B. " Dewey you wont never get that thing up here to butcher holler." :rolf: :rolf:
Bet it was an absolute blast though.

I had broke my rig and we jumped in that thing and we had a freaking blast. Bouncing around all over the places just laughing till it hurt. Im sure people got plenty of laughs from us. We drove it over to lions den and all over the place. Was one of the best trips.

CHASMAN9 said:
Are those true wood spoke wheels Wyatt? Beautiful machine and lucky to drive it. :dblthumb: What's the latest on the Bonneville Salts running?

ADMINISTRATOR

I'm not sure the term, but I'll call them wood clad. There is an iron rod running through the middle of each spoke.

No idea if we ever go back to Bonneville. I want to. My dad just had a stem cell surgery on one knee a month ago, and plans to do the other in 3 months. He really hasnt worked in the shop on anything in 2-3 years.
But here is how it sits in the shop this morning Semi-torn down. Lots of powdercoat needing redone at this point.
65D9A835-429A-4A14-9F39-B49CC0B6BA2A_zpso3flizmi.jpg

InDaShop said:
I'm not sure the term, but I'll call them wood clad. There is an iron rod running through the middle of each spoke.

No idea if we ever go back to Bonneville. I want to. My dad just had a stem cell surgery on one knee a month ago, and plans to do the other in 3 months. He really hasnt worked in the shop on anything in 2-3 years.
But here is how it sits in the shop this morning Semi-torn down. Lots of powdercoat needing redone at this point.
65D9A835-429A-4A14-9F39-B49CC0B6BA2A_zpso3flizmi.jpg

Sorry to hear that about your dad, hope it's gets back on it soon. I know last time you tried to go there, the salt was too thin and couldn't run or something like that. What's the spec's on that monster?

ADMINISTRATOR

Spitzer chassis with big heavy lower rails to mitigate flex, rear engine roadster body, very small displacement Foyt/Ford Coyote from 70s AJ dayt, HUGE charger, Lenco, 9" with like the highest gears you can buy. 1st gear is good to, what Wyatt, like 125? laughing1 :eek:

blacksheep10 said:
Spitzer chassis with big heavy lower rails to mitigate flex, rear engine roadster body, very small displacement Foyt/Ford Coyote from 70s AJ dayt, HUGE charger, Lenco, 9" with like the highest gears you can buy. 1st gear is good to, what Wyatt, like 125? laughing1 :eek:

That is impressive checklist but why the small displacement Kelly? I would be curious to know what the horsepower/ mph ratio is on it and what is the top speed?

ADMINISTRATOR

CHASMAN9 said:
That is impressive checklist but why the small displacement Kelly? I would be curious to know what the horsepower/ mph ratio is on it and what is the top speed?

ADMINISTRATOR

155ci 1200hp on methanol.
theoretical it should go very low 300's, realistically, I was in the high 2's and it got heavy in the front feeling. Like doing a burnout against a wall.

InDaShop said:
155ci 1200hp on methanol.
theoretical it should go very low 300's, realistically, I was in the high 2's and it got heavy in the front feeling. Like doing a burnout against a wall.

That is a lot smaller ci than I would even have imagined inside a full chassis and pushing 1200hp!!!. On a good day, would you see 325 mph average? Just getting an idea for what that beast is capable of. Got any video of it on the flats?

ADMINISTRATOR

CHASMAN9 said:
That is a lot smaller ci than I would even have imagined inside a full chassis and pushing 1200hp!!!. On a good day, would you see 325 mph average? Just getting an idea for what that beast is capable of. Got any video of it on the flats?

ADMINISTRATOR

They wanted a record, and it is hard to find something that will push a roadster over 200 mph with less than 175 ci or whatever the AA class is. It had an attainable record and then they had a rough first year on the salt and have not been back. Licensing was the hurdle for something that was made to go 200, not 150

What Kelly said. Open record in this engine class "F" for my style of car. BFRMR (Blown Fuel Rear-Engine Modified Roadster) But lots of struggle licensing. Hard to run the car between 150-175 when you enter the mile at 100, and it wants to exit at 215. So licensing was kinda like playing lawn darts, praying you came back with a timing slip between the needed numbers, so you could go get your competition book or competition license punched to allow you to move up.

I have some video. But anything forward facing is boring. with no real references, everything seems so slow. Like cadillac in the slow lane lumbering along at over 200mph.
But this one video seems to do some justice IMO. Its rear facing. The truck pushed to 80mph, and then my dad said they ran 100mph in it to chase down course. So for perspective you can see how quickly the car walks away from something doing 100mph. The next references are the orange 1/2mile panels. They star going by very rapidly.

But my favorite part is when the wind noise on the back of the car goes away and all you hear is turbo whine, and then a shift from 2nd to 3rd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxlgsCRBPIg

InDaShop said:
What Kelly said. Open record in this engine class "F" for my style of car. BFRMR (Blown Fuel Rear-Engine Modified Roadster) But lots of struggle licensing. Hard to run the car between 150-175 when you enter the mile at 100, and it wants to exit at 215. So licensing was kinda like playing lawn darts, praying you came back with a timing slip between the needed numbers, so you could go get your competition book or competition license punched to allow you to move up.

I have some video. But anything forward facing is boring. with no real references, everything seems so slow. Like cadillac in the slow lane lumbering along at over 200mph.
But this one video seems to do some justice IMO. Its rear facing. The truck pushed to 80mph, and then my dad said they ran 100mph in it to chase down course. So for perspective you can see how quickly the car walks away from something doing 100mph. The next references are the orange 1/2mile panels. They star going by very rapidly.

But my favorite part is when the wind noise on the back of the car goes away and all you hear is turbo whine, and then a shift from 2nd to 3rd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxlgsCRBPIg

WOW, absolutely impressive. You're right, at 1:28 when the noise starts going away, you can feel the acceleration kick in and get gone! Would it be sacrilegious to post a picture of the rear engine and setup? I take it you were driving it Wyatt? :dblthumb:

ADMINISTRATOR

CHASMAN9 said:
WOW, absolutely impressive. You're right, at 1:28 when the noise starts going away, you can feel the acceleration kick in and get gone! Would it be sacrilegious to post a picture of the rear engine and setup? I take it you were driving it Wyatt? :dblthumb:

ADMINISTRATOR

not at all.
and yes me driving.
IMG_0124.jpg

IMG_0160.jpg

IMG_0070.jpg

10lbs of $hi+ in a 5lb sack.
IMG_0051.jpg

IMG_0059.jpg

InDaShop said:
not at all.
and yes me driving.
IMG_0124.jpg

IMG_0160.jpg

IMG_0070.jpg

10lbs of $hi+ in a 5lb sack.
IMG_0051.jpg

IMG_0059.jpg

That's a gorgeous slingshot right there. Curious as to why no suspension? I realize that you wouldn't need but very little travel if any, but thought some would help stabilize it on the salt. Does the tire pressure accommodate for the lack of suspension? Sorry for picking your guys brains, but it's not often we get something like that on here, Thanks.

ADMINISTRATOR

It has 1/2" of travel on the front. Roughly 1/4up 1/4down just to take some of the roughsalt aspect out of it. Yes to tire flex doing the rest. Its not a smooth ride. but can you image if you were going 300mph and hit enough of a bump to get the suspension to rebound or droop out and allow air under the car? Instant airplane!

InDaShop said:
It has 1/2" of travel on the front. Roughly 1/4up 1/4down just to take some of the roughsalt aspect out of it. Yes to tire flex doing the rest. Its not a smooth ride. but can you image if you were going 300mph and hit enough of a bump to get the suspension to rebound or droop out and allow air under the car? Instant airplane!

And without any front air spoiler to help hold it down, I can only imagine what a ride that would be. Or should I say, what a landing it would be. :spin: The closest most of us will ever get to that feeling is in a plane. What a RUSH. Hope you get to get it back on the salt someday. :dblthumb:
p.s. Still wish you hadn't sold the Unicorn.....

ADMINISTRATOR

CHASMAN9 said:
And without any front air spoiler to help hold it down, I can only imagine what a ride that would be. Or should I say, what a landing it would be. :spin: The closest most of us will ever get to that feeling is in a plane. What a RUSH. Hope you get to get it back on the salt someday. :dblthumb:
p.s. Still wish you hadn't sold the Unicorn.....

ADMINISTRATOR

I can romanticize the Unicorn in my head until the cows come home. I dont believe in curses or cursed cars, but that one...nothing wanted to work together. But when it did work together it was so sweet, but that never lasted long. I do love racing, but that car officially burnt me out on constantly working on the same thing night after night, after week after week, after month after month. And dealing with companies that failed to deliver over and over and over.
Yes, I was hard on it, but no harder than anyone else would or should be in that vehicle.

InDaShop said:
I can romanticize the Unicorn in my head until the cows come home. I dont believe in curses or cursed cars, but that one...nothing wanted to work together. But when it did work together it was so sweet, but that never lasted long. I do love racing, but that car officially burnt me out on constantly working on the same thing night after night, after week after week, after month after month. And dealing with companies that failed to deliver over and over and over.
Yes, I was hard on it, but no harder than anyone else would or should be in that vehicle.

I knew you were proud of it and frustrated as well, it was an awesome machine and knew it had to have taken a lot it part ways with it. I remember seeing pictures of you and your son driving down Fremont street in Vegas before a race, looking good. I'm sure there will be another one some place, some time. :dunno:

ADMINISTRATOR

Latest posts