Hardline Crawlers
August 18, 2018, 07:25:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out the Calendar for all upcoming rides and competitions.

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Racepak iq3s digital dash  (Read 2135 times)
dynajeep

« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2017, 07:02:10 PM »

I'm going to run the Edge CTS II.  Plug and play OBD2 currently switching over from a sbc to a genV lt4.  I'll give feedback in a couple weeks when it's running

A.J. Spaay
Boyne City, MI
mitchw123456

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2017, 01:41:38 AM »

Thing is, the dashes we are looking at are all race dashes and in racing the driver doesn't look at gauges. He looks at the course and has the warnings lights setup in the line of sight to flash only when something is abnormal. I like this even for trail use. To me, staring down the barrel of 7 analog gauges leads to eye fatigue and a loss of concentration of what's in front of you.

I also think that the lcd screen size is more about display position in the cockpit. The goal is the get all the info in front of you and not have gauges positioned that force you to look right and down. That means 2 sizes fit the bill. The smaller 5" display works when mounted close behind the wheel. The larger 7" display works when mounted further back on a dash panel (still behind the wheel) such as a typical instrument cluster. I made a cardboard cutout of an iq3 and when mounted right behind the wheel of my buggy (mine is a smaller diameter wheel) my hand covered a lot of info including warning lights and I can't move it further away because of chassis tube holding the orbital. So for me, it looks like a 5" display will work best. For you on the other hand it sounds like you can't mount close to the wheel so I see why the 7" is what you're looking for. Obviously, larger means more expensive.

Perhaps you should wait for the SEMA show in October and see if anything new will be revealed. To me, it seams plausible for AIM to release a non-logger version of the 7" MXG since it's a newly released product, which would knock the price down to around $1500. Just like they did with the 5" MXS logger to the MXS strada non logger ($2300 dropped to $1300).

Right now I have all the room in the world as I haven't started building the dash or cage.  In a perfect world I'll have my mind made up so when I do start fabbing everything up I will have a plan to make things fit.  To me it seems like mounting a smaller display behind the wheel on the column would be harder to see vs mounting a larger display on the dash.  I do know that I don't want a dozen different gauges scattered across the dash.  Waiting until October may be a viable option as I my Thanksgiving run to superlift doesn't look like it going to happen.  I hit a wall where nothing was working out or cooperating and got pissed off and just took a break, plus with feel like temps at 100+ in the garage it slows progress.  Either way I was starting to get in a hurry to make a decision so I could get the engine running and wanted gauges but in all reality I could do that with my little elm 327 and phone... 

MY cheap ass side says screw it, mount an ipad bluetoothed to my elm 327 and call it good, but it'd drive me crazy half assing it
mitchw123456

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2017, 01:45:15 AM »

I'm going to run the Edge CTS II.  Plug and play OBD2 currently switching over from a sbc to a genV lt4.  I'll give feedback in a couple weeks when it's running

Let us know what you think.  It doesn't look like too bad of a deal especially with the add on analogue sensors they offer. 
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: