• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Racepak iq3s digital dash

mitchw123456

Is anybody running one? Pros cons? I'm thinking about running one in the new YJ buggy I'm building as it'd be so easy to just plug it into the ecm/obd2 port and be done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my ecm is a '11 model so should work there. I haven't seen anything on their website saying it is waterproof/resistant do you know for a fact it is? That was one of my main concerns.
I also read that some people say you can't read them with polarized glasses on, do you know if there is any truth to that?

I had the street racepak in my buggy for four years, sorry don't remember the model number. Didn't use their canbus but did use their senders (which looked identical to autometer senders) . Worked fine and as advertised, but I never really liked it. Like you, I was initially excited about all the features, lights, fan, warnings, headlight and turn signal indicators, etc. But my one issue was that the display only had (iirc) four configurations, and I could never see all the parameters I wanted to see at the same time without checking through the different screens. For instance, on the main one I watched it had mph/rpm/water temp/ oil pressure/ fuel level. But to see trans temp and volts, I had to cycle two screens... pain in the ass. But the biggest problem I had with it, at a glance in extreme situations, it was to much info in a glance; especially if you are on the wrong screen, lol. I decided I preferred individual gauges installed directly in my line of sight, the racepak I had center mass.

Yes it was hard to read with polarized glasses, and the backlight started going out. Seemed fine with water and dust, on my buggy anyway.

But I did take it out finally and replaced with glow shift maxx tow (dual gauges-analog and digital readout on same gauge) . As also installed dummy lights on water temp, oil pressure, and fan switches. Much happier with great lighting and less confusion.

The manche will probably get canbus analog gauges to tie into Mast computer.

(No longer have the buggy)

I still have the race pack and manual and a couple senders if someone wanted it, but the backlight only half works. I'm sure they would repair it. I'm not sure if I still have the crimps for the mass plug in to redo the plug to your liking though.

f61ed00b790d6d3ca6e444bbfc74aea1.jpg
87c327563485bfa60765ba40191cac70.jpg
fc8a577eb13928411bff6aaf9322d777.jpg
b49a842746691a6617e719e34b6c1110.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the info and yes I am looking at the iq3. I'll have to check out the haltech. I know the aim units and autometer one was a little more than I wanted to spend.

That was my thought also. I was planning on using the obd2 for all engine functions and use hardwired sensors for power steering and transtemp. Having to swap things up a bit as I'm not going to be running the 6L90 anymore and just going to run a built 400. I really think I'm going to try it but for a grand it'd suck to have a light sprinkle kill it.

Re: Re: Racepak iq3s digital dash

Waffle said:
For an extra step in protection you can get a clear poly cover that snaps over the entire face. This is what I'd do, then hot glue or silicone any gaps surrounding the back edge where the cover meets the housing.
If it's not vacuum sealed it will still fog though. Never had any issues in my open cockpit buggy with water, of course I never tried to drown it either.

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Tapatalk

the aim strada have caught my attention but like you I'm leary of the size. I don't want to deal with it on the steering wheel but I also want to be able to see it! I'm to the point now that I've researched and looked so long I have to pull the trigger soon before I lose my mind. I am almost thinking the AEM CD7 would work and isn't much more expensive and has a 7" display. Have you looked at it any? What are your thoughts?

found the harness for the cd7 its a whopping $32 for direct plug and play obd2 connection... We may have a winner here..

facebook-banner-CD7-400x250.gif

30-2217-cd7-obd2-cable-lead-image.jpg

Waffle said:
I did look at it, but there's no way I could use it according to what I've read.

So far, I'm reading it like this..... It has no analog inputs, so expansion to cheap sensors like something to monitor power steering temp isn't there. I've looked for proprietary canbus connected pressure and temp sensors (like how Racepak has v-net), but I cannot find any. It would be nice to monitor additional temp and pressures that the ecu does not see and label it as well, but I don't see how. If you want to add gps sensor for speed you have to buy an additional $375 AEM Vehicle Dynamics Module (PN 30-2203) or spend $1600 on them both. I can't find anything about expansion to anything other than a logger. Looks like you can buy their $$ xgauges then hook to the dash. Ugh, ok lol.

Maybe I'm missing something and just can't find the info. Idk.

Says right here that it won't work with just any canbus connection. It's meant for AEM ecu's first. All others are considered 3rd party and you may have to mess with additional programming to make it all work. The more I read the more I don't like it. My guess is, don't buy it without AEM answering all of your questions.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://aemelectronics.com/%3Fq%3Dforum/cd-7-and-cd-7l-faq&ved=0ahUKEwj4_bDiotPVAhUB7yYKHb3PCgoQFggeMAE&usg=AFQjCNH3L45QMAFb2XNChCt4Q1xl15P6HQ

Not sure your year model ecm but it looks like it would work the same as the racpak with 2008 or newer with the firmware updates.

"With the release of CD-7 software version 1.01.0X, all CD-7 Digital Dash Displays have the ability to read CAN bus data from the OBDII port of 2008-up vehicles with a simple firmware update to DashDesign software version 1.01.04b. To help with the installation, AEM has also made it easy to connect to the OBDII port by creating an optional CD-7 OBDII CAN Sub Harness (PN 30-2217) that provides plug & play access between the CD-7 harness and the vehicles OBDII connector. AEM's CD-7 Plug & Play Power Cable is included with the OBDII Plug & Play Adapter Harness to make an easy power and ground connection for powering the dash."

http://www.aemelectronics.com/products/cd-7-obdii-can-plug-play-adapter-harness

I'm going to have to talk to them a little about if you can add on sensors for it. I really don't "need" to monitor other temps like power steering but wouldn't mind being able to. Thinking about it though, now that I have scrapped the 6L90 and going to run a built 400 I'm going to HAVE to have something that can run other sensor as I won't be able to get a trans temp through the ecm anymore....

damnit.

I've looked at the holley before but didn't see anywhere that said it could be used with any obd2 ecm. I'm thinking it was made to run their ecm?

...and here is the solution for running analog gauges on the cd-7...

https://gaugeart.com/product/gaugeart-analog-to-can-converter/

supposedly from an old post on their forum though AEM is making their own version

**** is getting expensive...

So what's a poor man supposed to do for a display big enough to read? Win the lotto? Kind of looks like it. At $1900 in might as well spend $2500 on auto meter.

I'm going to run the Edge CTS II. Plug and play OBD2 currently switching over from a sbc to a genV lt4. I'll give feedback in a couple weeks when it's running

Waffle said:
Thing is, the dashes we are looking at are all race dashes and in racing the driver doesn't look at gauges. He looks at the course and has the warnings lights setup in the line of sight to flash only when something is abnormal. I like this even for trail use. To me, staring down the barrel of 7 analog gauges leads to eye fatigue and a loss of concentration of what's in front of you.

I also think that the lcd screen size is more about display position in the cockpit. The goal is the get all the info in front of you and not have gauges positioned that force you to look right and down. That means 2 sizes fit the bill. The smaller 5" display works when mounted close behind the wheel. The larger 7" display works when mounted further back on a dash panel (still behind the wheel) such as a typical instrument cluster. I made a cardboard cutout of an iq3 and when mounted right behind the wheel of my buggy (mine is a smaller diameter wheel) my hand covered a lot of info including warning lights and I can't move it further away because of chassis tube holding the orbital. So for me, it looks like a 5" display will work best. For you on the other hand it sounds like you can't mount close to the wheel so I see why the 7" is what you're looking for. Obviously, larger means more expensive.

Perhaps you should wait for the SEMA show in October and see if anything new will be revealed. To me, it seams plausible for AIM to release a non-logger version of the 7" MXG since it's a newly released product, which would knock the price down to around $1500. Just like they did with the 5" MXS logger to the MXS strada non logger ($2300 dropped to $1300).

Right now I have all the room in the world as I haven't started building the dash or cage. In a perfect world I'll have my mind made up so when I do start fabbing everything up I will have a plan to make things fit. To me it seems like mounting a smaller display behind the wheel on the column would be harder to see vs mounting a larger display on the dash. I do know that I don't want a dozen different gauges scattered across the dash. Waiting until October may be a viable option as I my Thanksgiving run to superlift doesn't look like it going to happen. I hit a wall where nothing was working out or cooperating and got pissed off and just took a break, plus with feel like temps at 100+ in the garage it slows progress. Either way I was starting to get in a hurry to make a decision so I could get the engine running and wanted gauges but in all reality I could do that with my little elm 327 and phone...

MY cheap ass side says screw it, mount an ipad bluetoothed to my elm 327 and call it good, but it'd drive me crazy half assing it

dynajeep said:
I'm going to run the Edge CTS II. Plug and play OBD2 currently switching over from a sbc to a genV lt4. I'll give feedback in a couple weeks when it's running

Let us know what you think. It doesn't look like too bad of a deal especially with the add on analogue sensors they offer.

Latest posts