• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Re: rear radiator electric fan success stories?

Biggest help for me was going to a 160° stat. I used to overheat by just idleing too long. Now I rarely see anything over 190°.

Just curious, how much work is done to the motor? Hp?

The stat was just a suggestion. I'm running 2 12" fans pushing 3,460 cfm total. The only thing I can think of with the stat is it gives the rad a head start.

I just put a dual pass radiator from speedway in a c10 I'm building, and without a thermostat you can't get over 170 moving down the road without a fan running. Next Buggie I have will have a dual pass for sure after what I am seeing, I bet your current fan setup would work great on one.

jccarter1 said:
No 1997 Lincoln mark 8 fan and done
Jduck said:
2spd Taurus fan and be done

Id do either of these and a 160 stat. Keeping the block cooler helps the cooling. The fans dont have to cool as much because your starting the cooling cycle at a cooler temp

I understand how a rear radiator works, I've ran them with no problems. What I was trying to say is you probably have a radiator problem, a ****ed up water pump, or a ****ed up thermostat. And he was right if the block is cooler it's easier to stay cooler, try taking the thermostat out and try it. But I would bet if you have two fans then the fans are more than likely not your problem.

As far the mark8 fan is concerned this is first hand experience on my buggy that I built and you can beat the **** out of it and never get over 200 and while you are correct about getting hard to find and being 20 years old this fan blows better than a drunk high school chick

If you know everything and are not going to take any advise from people. Why post?

Those cars are still out there just call around it took me a few days to track one down but totally worth it, and the stock shroud fit the cheap summit radiator very nicely

Re: Re: rear radiator electric fan success stories?

Waffle said:
The shroud is kind of a joke though as it's only purpose is to provide a mounting point for the fans. It literally sits like a 1/2" off the core. No way am I pulling air from the edges of the core. Hell, probably not pulling air much further out than the fan diameter itself.

Sounds like that's your problem. I'd work on finding a shroud that fits better and makes better use of the radiator.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Re:

Are your front steam vents plumbed to the overflow?

I would assume the overflow is the highest point to make sure there is no air being trapped?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Waffle said:
I took their advise, last year lol. Cant you read? It's not a ****ing thermostat problem. Ive had 195, 180, 160, back to 180. Same issue from 2 different water pumps as well. So it's either the Griffin custom radiator or its lack of airflow. And while we're at it, the shroud and fan setup I have was meant for front rad mounting and it was purchased before their larger/overlap design which allows for larger fans to be bolted on.

I don't claim to be a ****ing prophet, but when I ask for others to talk about "fans", "electric fans", " spinny whirly things" and what worked for you in the real world I don't expect to divert to talking about thermostats. I'm here to talk about fans. If the MK8 wasn't 20-25 yrs old (not made anymore) I would do it.
What is your coolant plumbed through? One thing you haven't considered is poor water flow inside the system. Too many 90 degree bends, too small of diameter tubing for the length of the run or possibly trash has clogged sonewhere in the line or inside the radiator.
On my buggy the radiator is a 2 row dual pass with 1 14" fan mounted behind my seats plumbed with 1.5" clear vinyl tubing that helps dissipate heat and the 4 90 degree bends in the system are long sweeping bends. My buggy never gets hot unless I forget to turn the fan on, even on the hottest summer day.

Re:

From a guy that knows very little....how much air space is around your radiator? Having objects close can help trap the heat and not allow cooler air to get to the radiator. As you have said before, front radiators benefit from speed and fresh/cool air. Rear radiators, require more work to use air that is available and probably not cool/fresh air. If there is trapped, residual heat, not matter how much you move it, the heat is still there. This also applies to hydro locking fuel lines when they are too close to a hest source.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Re:

X2 on what the last few said. I would bet the issue is air or flow in the system. Unless you have a motor that is putting out a stupid amount of heat (ie filled block or thin cylinder walls).

While your fans could flow more, I suspect they are flowing enough. Shroud sounds like it could be improved but there are many out there just like it, with no issues.

Have you checked temps with another source? Block, head, water neck, inlets, outlets, etc. Could be faulty sensor/gauges.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

rear radiator electric fan success stories?

bjeep said:
If you know everything and are not going to take any advise from people. Why post?

Pretty much. Buy some $$ desert racing **** and be done. Feel good about your purchase and superior knowledge of rear radiator cooling systems.

On my old rear radiator v8 truggy, a proper shroud that allowed the fan to sit 2-3" from the core, and pull air from the entire core solved the cooling issue on it. Same single Volvo fan on both setups.

I'd build a shroud first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts