• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

7.3 powerstroke question

AllGoNoShow

My 7.3 randomly overheated the other day. Has been fine leading up to this. I thought maybe the thermostat was stuck so I pulled that. While I had it off filled the water pump up with water at the thermostat housing opening, I then bumped the engine over and there was not water coming out, I then started the engine and it would just weakly flowing water out of the thermostat housing. I assumed if the pump was working correctly it would just gush out of there? Do I have a bad water pump? Water pump was replaced about 10K miles ago with a napa unit. Thinking maybe the impeller came loose. What do you guys think?

Anyone else have an idea? I am thinking the not working also, would just like some other opinions before I tear it down.

I'd say water pump or plugged oil cooler as well. Easier to do water pump and less messier. Might take a heat reading from one side of oil cooler to the other and at radiator to see any differences

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zjman said:
I'd say water pump or plugged oil cooler as well. Easier to do water pump and less messier. Might take a heat reading from one side of oil cooler to the other and at radiator to see any differences

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just replaced oil cooler o rings as well, oil cooler was clear of any debris.

Mattman347 said:
Does it have any junk in the degas bottle? Is the radiator clear of crap between the intercooler?

No junk in degas, no fuel smell. Radiator and intercooler are clean. I also have no heat out of heater....

Ok, so I took out the heater fitting on top of the pump to confirm that the impeller was still attached, it is. So after scratching my head, I remembered that the bottom hose was old and the structural integrity felt weak the last time I worked on it, and I had ordered a new one at that time. It took some looking but I found the new hose in the corner of the shop. I had heard of them collapsing shut. So I installed the new lower hose. Filled everything back up and could not get it to overheat after coming up to temp. I drove it today and could not get it to overheat yet again. I am assuming the old hose was collapsing shut and causing it. I also robbed the reservoir cap off of my problem free 2000 7.3 at the same time and put it on the problem pickup. I am going to drive it more tomorrow and see what happens. So far so good.

TBItoy said:
So you put a water pump on it with the old hoses 10K miles ago? :wtflol:

Glad it worked out for you! :dblthumb:

Replaced top hose, napa didn't have the correct bottom one, only part store in town. So I put it back together and ordered one off amazon and kind of forgot about it till now. Thanks for the ribbing though laughing1 :flipper:. Hopefully this is what it was and it doesn't happen again.