• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Drive shaft questions.

Casey

Me and the guy I'm working with some during the week were talking bout drive shafts today at the shop. The shaft compresses at full bump and extends at droop correct? I was telling him how I broke mine from slamming down on a rock at Stoney a couple years ago, it was due to shaft being a tad to long. He thinks that the shaft extends when at full droop because when his rig is on the lift at full droop he can't get the shaft off or some ****. We have a friend that is driving 13 hours to go ride, and he got a new shaft that could be a little long. I was saying we needed to get it on rig at full bump and check it. He was saying full droop. God I hope this makes sense. :smoke:

Re:

Yes.....no more pipes.....have a beer and it all makes sense

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Re:

Yep. Perfect sense. Glad you are back.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Normally a driveshaft does compress as you suspension does. (It gets shorter when the axle goes up)
However it depends on your suspension on how much. If your running a link suspension with the links set up were your pinion angle stays the same and your links are the same length as your driveshaft there is hardly any drive shaft slip.
However if your running leaf springs, depending on the set up it could be a lot of slip. Most of the driveshafts that stab the rear of transfer case are on leafs.

Eddyj said:
Is there a reason he can't check it at full bump and full drop?
Drop isn't a prob .. bump kinda is, nothing to bottom it out with really.

Eddyj said:
Normally a driveshaft does compress as you suspension does. (It gets shorter when the axle goes up)
However it depends on your suspension on how much. If your running a link suspension with the links set up were your pinion angle stays the same and your links are the same length as your driveshaft there is hardly any drive shaft slip.
However if your running leaf springs, depending on the set up it could be a lot of slip. Most of the driveshafts that stab the rear of transfer case are on leafs.
Thanks eddy. That helped explain it better.

On something with high arch leaf springs and front shackles (or normal rear shackles in the rear), you can get the geometry to where it extends at full bump.

Same with can happen with link suspension, it all depends on the geometry of how your links relate to your driveshaft. Short link arms are worse, because there is much more fore-aft motion per vertical motion.

Latest posts