• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Sold/Expired 1988-91 Honda Civic 4cyl with Auto trans

zayne2427 said:
I have found a few online that said "needs Distributor" must be pretty common
The pick up and module are in there. Possibly the coil also depending on the year. The sealed bearing on the shaft goes out letting oil in. Best thing to do is buy a new entire assembly from parts store.

BUG-E J said:
The pick up and module are in there. Possibly the coil also depending on the year. The sealed bearing on the shaft goes out letting oil in. Best thing to do is buy a new entire assembly from parts store.

They are JUNK in my opinion. I have been through 3 of them. Two of them broke the drive teeth off and one would randomly run and not run.....
On the fourth one now..... Wish me luck I need it.

bjeep said:
They are JUNK in my opinion. I have been through 3 of them. Two of them broke the drive teeth off and one would randomly run and not run.....
On the fourth one now..... Wish me luck I need it.
Damn I've prolly put over 100 of them in and never had one come back. You can buy the parts individually but the sealed bearing is still gonna leak oil into the cap

BUG-E J said:
Damn I've prolly put over 100 of them in and never had one come back. You can buy the parts individually but the sealed bearing is still gonna leak oil into the cap

I have put four in the same car. I now carry one in the car as a spare so I can get home...... :mad:

bjeep said:
I have put four in the same car. I now carry one in the car as a spare so I can get home...... :mad:
Is the module or the pickup going out. I saw one once the cam bearing were worn and it was letting the camshaft walk around enough to eat distributors all to hell

zayne2427 said:
Ya'll making me real excited about trying to get this engine running...
I would try to find a 03-07 4cyl accord with an auto trans. Have the pcm reflashed to stand alone and the harness cut down. They will hold gears when you manually shift them and down shift when you need it. Make a **** ton more power and are 150,000 times more reliable and easier to come by. Those trans didn't have a ton of problems. Just smell the fluid. The convertor would come apart but it wasn't common

Hell the pcm would control the fans and everything. They run on maf and on those the convertor were down stream so you could leave the downstream 02 out and it would just ignore ir and run the same as if it were there

BUG-E J said:
I would try to find a 03-07 4cyl accord with an auto trans. Have the pcm reflashed to stand alone and the harness cut down. They will hold gears when you manually shift them and down shift when you need it. Make a **** ton more power and are 150,000 times more reliable and easier to come by. Those trans didn't have a ton of problems. Just smell the fluid. The convertor would come apart but it wasn't common

Any details on who/where can reflash and cut down the harness?

I have 94 civic drivetrain to built around but would really like use auto instead.

mac5005 said:
Any details on who/where can reflash and cut down the harness?

I have 94 civic drivetrain to built around but would really like use auto instead.
The only way I have ever seen done is with aem software and pcm. I don't know if you had to tune it yourself or if it came pre programmed and you could just do adjustments. As big of a fallow ing as that crap has I'm sure people do it. If your wanting to run an auto 94 that should be stand alone anyway. I wanna say up to 95 or 96 honda ran a pcm and tcm so all you would have to do is find the trans harness and module. I don't know much before 2000 on them

Well I don't know the years but be careful on that kind of stuff. Honda made different emissions packages etc that changed rotations also. I know for a fact an acura and a honda 95 4cyl looks identical but spin different directions. I put a starter on an accord and it wouldn't crank. Starter looked identical and the engines did also. The acura spun the opposite direction of the honda. The 98 sulev emissions package accord is the same way. You pull the valve covers and engine plate off they look identical though. :****:

The del sol had an engine that spun one way but something about the trans was backwards. I can't exactly remember but I did a b whatever motor swap in a civic. Well dude brought all the stuff off a website like that so it would bolt up and he had some weird problem. I think he ended up having to get a Japan drive trans because the motor was turned around. It was along time ago.

The Canadian build stuff can be different also. Honda has a plant dedicated to building that Canadian stuff so it comes out bastard on some things

Picking up this little gem tomorrow. I'll mess with it and see if i can get it running before i start pulling everything. 89 CRX with Auto trans Scratch that. Its a Honda civic hatchback..... not a crx

Attachments

• 20751373_1382869128416586_169628508_n.jpg
    20751373_1382869128416586_169628508_n.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 102
zayne2427 said:
Picking up this little gem tomorrow. I'll mess with it and see if i can get it running before i start pulling everything. 89 CRX with Auto trans
Is that the dohc motor with the black valve cover?

Not sure yet. Picking it up in the morning. He said it should run and they were building it as a "race Car" when he got it, but is cheap enough i hopefully at least use the engine and trans for mock up of drive shafts and can scrap the rest and get my money back.
If i had to guess its probably the SOHC engine
Going to try and see if i can get it running before i pull it apart though.

zayne2427 said:
Not sure yet. Picking it up in the morning. He said it should run and they were building it as a "race Car" when he got it, but is cheap enough i hopefully at least use the engine and trans for mock up of drive shafts and can scrap the rest and get my money back.
If i had to guess its probably the SOHC engine
Going to try and see if i can get it running before i pull it apart though.
If the fuel pump isn't coming on its gonna be ignition switch or main relay. If it's not firing pcm isn't coming on or distributor. Make sure the mil illuminates before you spin it. The main relay also powers the pcm

Grabbed a hot battery, put the plug in the oil pan, filled it with oil, sprayed starting fluid in the intake, and Bam fired right up...
4bfa092228a634843c18b26ce40077f5.jpg
2c92960a594560718f655a6f743012c5.jpg
c9a215b4b204b0a40d4aa8094f6366f5.jpg
5d6512e94ac2c6527eaa15bd2234046a.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I wouldn't scrap what's left. All you did was make it easier for some tuner kid to swap in his b18.