• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

LS rear main seal

Every LS rear main seal I have installed came with a plastic installer tool. Its alot easier to pull the rear main carrier plate, install the seal in the plate, then use the little plastic deal that comes with the new seal to slip the seal and carrier plate back on the crank. Plus you definately want to install a new gasket on the carrier plate while youre in there.

Or go with the new plate Yankster posted, its definately the best way to go and only costs a couple bucks more.

I've never done a rear main on an ls but need to badly. Does pulling the motor make the job any easier in terms of specific install tools or are they needed regardless?

Re: LS rear main seal

No need to pull the engine, really no special tools needed either. The white plastic thing inside the seal in this pic is the only "tool" you need, it will guide the lip of the seal over the crank as you carefully push the carrier plate onto the back of the engine. Its really not a bad job at all. Be careful when you tighten the two long 10mm headed bolts that come up through the oil pan and go into the carrier plate cause they wont take near as much torque as you'd think.

a274ff5264d351a215da99b3519b3f29.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

d_daffron said:
No need to pull the engine, really no special tools needed either. The white plastic thing inside the seal in this pic is the only "tool" you need, it will guide the lip of the seal over the crank as you carefully push the carrier plate onto the back of the engine. Its really not a bad job at all. Be careful when you tighten the two long 10mm headed bolts that come up through the oil pan and go into the carrier plate cause they wont take near as much torque as you'd think.

a274ff5264d351a215da99b3519b3f29.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks. I wouldn't pull the engine just to do the seal but figured I'd replace it this winter when I tear down for paint. I'll need to pick up one of those contraptions.

Latest posts