• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

LS swap into OBS Chevy (88-98)??

ftoy516

NOT PART OF THE HERD!
North Georgia where people still believe in FREEDO
I have been looking around for some decent information on swapping a LS into an OBS Chevy Silverado....anyone one here ever done this before in this platform...and if so, do you have any tips or good resources that are creditable.

I have a 92 4x4 TBI truck with a stick that i used some for a tow rig but i never pulled it far from home or pulled it that often because the motor has over 215,000 miles and i did not trust it to go far because it was DRINKING oil.
A few months back it gave up the ghost, so that leads me to this debate.....

I don't really want to spend money on buying a Small block crate motor in lieu of buying a LS 6.0 which has more power in stock form and will pull night and day better then the TBI motor. I don't really have a lot of money in the OBS Chevy and like most people i don't have the funds to buy an expensive truck to pull with...i guess i am working with what i have for now....

Just wondering if any of you guys have ever done this before, or know someone that has....i am trying to be realistic with ideas for this truck, i really just want it to be dependable pulling a buggy a long ways from home.

Thank you.

Cummins swap! I just put a 12v nv4500 in a Tahoe of the same body style. Wasn't super hard and still uses factory gauges.

People LS sway everything these days so yes it is obviously very doable. Things you'd need off the top of my head, other than the motor and harness, are motor mounts, flywheel / clutch assembly and fuel pump / regulator setup. LS motor mounts are more centered on the block so those would need to be relocated on the frame. All gen III and newer LS engines also have a .4" different crank flange spacing so with an auto trans you'd have to run GM's crank flange spacer but with your manual it would be best to run an aftermarket flywheel and clutch to make up the difference. And I'm pretty sure TBI's only need like 15 psi of fuel pressure to run so you'd almost certainly need a new fuel pump and regulator / return setup.

Re: Re: LS swap into OBS Chevy (88-98)??

tallnate said:
LS motor mounts are more centered on the block so those would need to be relocated on the frame.

Would the relocation adapter plates work on this application? When I went from SBC to LS in my jeep I just ordered adapter plates that bolted to the block and everything went right back in.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

You could try contacting Matt Young at Mechman Alternators. He recently completed a swap in one of those. Clean install, daily driver, runs 7's in the 1/8th on 20's/street tires.

There is a video on the Mechman FaceSpace page. I'm sure Matt would also be willing to help on any wiring. Pretty smart dude on that stuff...

Latest posts