• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

08 5.3 lifter tick

The Luke

So my 08 1500 has slowly developed what I believe to be a lifter tick on the drivers side for the first minute or so after startup. Then it goes away. Patrick had me try the trans fluid in the oil truck, which seemed to help a little. But not quite a permanent solution.

I've never been more than oil filter deep into one of these. Especially since it has that cylinder shut off.

What all do I need to do? What I've seen online says lifters, timing cover gasket, head gaskets. Anything else? Also I've seen a ton of people suggesting a new cam. Which I'm not opposed to throwing an aftermarket cam in.

Or would I just be better off financially to just buy a used motor?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I wouldn't swap a used motor in unless you plan to buy one and go through it before swapping it.

You think it may be the cold start piston slap that 5.3s are known for?

If it goes away and has good oil pressure I wouldn't worry about it myself.

Well, that I'm not sure of. It very well might be. I'm not an expert on these by any means. Oil pressure is great. It just sounds like crap at first start for about the first minute or so. And it didn't do it when I bought the truck 80k ago.

The Luke said:
Well, that I'm not sure of. It very well might be. I'm not an expert on these by any means. Oil pressure is great. It just sounds like crap at first start for about the first minute or so. And it didn't do it when I bought the truck 80k ago.

Pretty common, I wouldn't worry about it unless something more serious crops up like oil pressure drop. Also try changing brand/weight of oil. Sometimes that will clear it up.

My 08 1500 5.3 has done this on 3 occasions. Truck has 103K? miles on it but it mostly sits and stays hooked to the trailer. The first time it did it was during a cold month. Not freezing, but jacket weather. I opened the door, reached in, turned the key to start it and was like OH ****! Being that I was outside right by the motor....pretty damn prominent! It also was coming from drivers side head.

I let it idle for about 2 minutes while I was taking the cover off the jeep and it was still doing it. I pushed on the gas a lil bit to about 2K rpms and it went away. I figured it was a lifter issue after that.

I'm using whatever oil the owners manual / oil cap says. Whatever ever name brand oil that's on sale / cheapest. Usually Pennzoil or Valvoline high mileage versions. Change it when percent-o-mometer reads in the 10% or below area.

I have 0 knowledge about 5.3 motors. Hoping it keeps churning away for a long long time.

redneckengineered said:
Pretty common, I wouldn't worry about it unless something more serious crops up like oil pressure drop. Also try changing brand/weight of oil. Sometimes that will clear it up.
Yeah I've seen a quart of Lucas at every oil change "fix" lifter tap on cold starts.

BUG-E J said:
Yeah I've seen a quart of Lucas at every oil change "fix" lifter tap on cold starts.

Can do. It's due for an oil change anyways. I'll change it up. And try the Lucas in there.

Do you guys use any of that Marvel Mystery oil? From my import days, I know the rotary motor RX7 guys loved the stuff and few others I know love it.

It goes in your in gas and oil and suppose to clean up the gunk / residue. I've only tried on my Jeep(with the 5.7 Vortec motor). A few of the guys I know with those motors love it as well due to the gay-ish fuel system on them with that spider injection poppet somethin'er'other valves for injectors.

I'm using a GSS/GSL? 342 fuel pump and I've noticed that when I run about a half to 1/4 of a bottle through the gas it keeps that pump a little quieter.

tonybolton said:
Do you guys use any of that Marvel Mystery oil? From my import days, I know the rotary motor RX7 guys loved the stuff and few others I know love it.

It goes in your in gas and oil and suppose to clean up the gunk / residue. I've only tried on my Jeep(with the 5.7 Vortec motor). A few of the guys I know with those motors love it as well due to the gay-ish fuel system on them with that spider injection poppet somethin'er'other valves for injectors.

I'm using a GSS/GSL? 342 fuel pump and I've noticed that when I run about a half to 1/4 of a bottle through the gas it keeps that pump a little quieter.
Yeah same stuff. Lucas makes the fuel additive also.

I've been told I can get more "oomph" out of the 5.3 with a cam and gears, but honestly as long as it goes A to B it's doing its job. Since I just goto Windrock most of the time I don't do battle with any serious hills. GMP / AOP is a lil different...

Re:

My 8.1 has piston slap when I start it up. Guess it's pretty common until the pistons warm up and swell up. Once it's warm it runs like a sewing machine and holds good pressure so I don't worry about it. Pretty sure dad's 6.0 does it too.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Run a little heavier weight oil. I had a 4.8 that wouldn't die. Ran melting hot, no oil pressure, u name it.....wouldn't die. If you changed the oil it would knock in the bottom, used a heavier weight oil....sounded fine. They are some tough motors. As long as it doesn't lose power....keep running it

I had some lifter tap at first. Followed Patricks advice and ran with a quart of atf in the oil for maybe 30 min. Then drained and filled with 20w50. All cleared up and runs strong. Maybe the oil is just so heavy that it muffles the sound. molaugh

I also heard if you have a stubborn lifter tick that you can pop off the rocker and squirt a 50/50 mix of acetone and atf down the tiny hole in the pushrod of the culprit lifter and let it sit for a day.

I had the same noise on my 09 that started at 85000 mi. I changed the oil and went to a slightly heavier oil and it went away for 10000 mi until the cam came out in pieces. Don't know if it was an isolated incident but the cam replacement DOD delete was expensive.

jeepmedic said:
I had the same noise on my 09 that started at 85000 mi. I changed the oil and went to a slightly heavier oil and it went away for 10000 mi until the cam came out in pieces. Don't know if it was an isolated incident but the cam replacement DOD delete was expensive.

It wasn't. 09s are bad about that

Seems the only reasonable path is to buy another complete 5.3 (harness and all), freshen it up, prep it for install

Swap it into your truck

rebuild/refresh old 5.3 and get it ready to swap into your Jeep.

If I'm not mistaken I got all of my parts from Texas Speed to do the cam swap and DOD delete.

TBItoy said:
Seems the only reasonable path is to buy another complete 5.3 (harness and all), freshen it up, prep it for install

Swap it into your truck

rebuild/refresh old 5.3 and get it ready to swap into your Jeep.

That has crossed my mind a couple times.

Latest posts