• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Simplifying

tubehead

Sometimes I get burnt out on building projects. I start thinking about ways to simplify the wheeling game. With a trail rig you have to load up and drive several hours to wheel. While I'm wheeling I'm having a blast, I guess it's just getting there sometimes. I have a LJ on 33's to just drive around and it's a blast. I've thought about just putting 37's and annew front axle and using it as a dual purpose rig. But what really catches my attention is getting a stock Willys and wheeling it. Seems like a simpler way of life. Anyone else have these crazy thoughts or am I just a woman.

I'm not sure if there are people trolling hardline asking for abuse or the solar eclipse is worse than a full moon. But honestly I'm enjoying this.

Re:

I am looking to have a CJ5 turned into a dd/wheeling rig. 36 or 37's, sprung under and locked at each end. I get it and approve this message....except for those two fags ^^^^^^^^ :)

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Ive been collecting parts I have a 14bolt trussed with disk brakes , hp60 with chromo shafts trussed, ls6.0 and Dana 300 flipped with 4:1 and th350 adapter . Psc hydro assist and a buncha of extra random parts I've been hoarding to build a decent capable on and offroad rig again. I haven't had one in 10 years since I went full rockwell crawler then bouncer mode. Some reason I miss the old drive it and wheel it gig. Just been looking for something cool to out the drivetrain in like an old fj or jeepster commando . Old bronco or something Nostalgic

Re: Simplifying

Bought this 76 from my wife's uncle and I've been having a blast tinkering with it. Gonna leave it as is and maybe put power brakes and steering on it. The idea of taking it places like Harlan and Windrock and just cruising around and camping out of it with my kids someday has been seeming more appealing than taking my crawler out and breaking it all the time. Just not sure if it's enough to get rid of the crawler. Feel like that's an itch that needs scratched from time to time and is hard to get back into.
bf90a5fb197a824c1a2efacbdf35d814.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Pretty much the exact reason I choose to build the Comanche in the fashion I have. Extreme multipurpose machine.

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Tapatalk

My Cherokee isn't far from that. Mostly stock suspension, 33's, the cruise and ac still work. Never mind that is doesn't have a body any more. I keep wanting to swap to bigger axles. But part of me likes having it on super easy to find, stock parts.

Rockwells607 said:
Ive been collecting parts I have a 14bolt trussed with disk brakes , hp60 with chromo shafts trussed, ls6.0 and Dana 300 flipped with 4:1 and th350 adapter . Psc hydro assist and a buncha of extra random parts I've been hoarding to build a decent capable on and offroad rig again. I haven't had one in 10 years since I went full rockwell crawler then bouncer mode. Some reason I miss the old drive it and wheel it gig. Just been looking for something cool to out the drivetrain in like an old fj or jeepster commando . Old bronco or something Nostalgic

Sounds like me, now I just want a full size bronco to cage, take the top off, and cruise my kids around on the bunny trails. Lame I know.

The last few years has been tow rigs, trailers, big tires and tube. The other day I rode in a mostly stock YJ on 33s with A/C!!
I am really wanting an built LJ myself.

Re: Re: Simplifying

AllGoNoShow said:
Sounds like me, now I just want a full size bronco to cage, take the top off, and cruise my kids around on the bunny trails. Lame I know.
You meant to say.....that sounds like responsible parenting and letting your kids enjoy off roading without endangering them.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

I bought my 2nd CJ-7 with the same idea in mind. I live in Florida, where we have plenty of State and National forests to go trail riding in, as well as the beach which is only an hour away. The new Jeep has ProRock HP 60's, atlas, full cage, etc. and is an automatic, which I figured would get my wife driving a little more. The fact that I usually end up breaking something every time I go out of state to wheel the original Jeep with Dana 44's and Dana 300, also played heavily into the idea of upgrading to the new Jeep.

When I first brought it home I drove it around town a few times. In the past few years I have trailered it to several off road parks and have beat on it pretty hard. I keep it tagged and insured in case I want to drive it around town, but haven't really done that very often. I run 37 inch sticky Treps when out of state and don't want to run around town on the road with them, but at the same time am too lazy to switch them back out after I return from a trip, so the Jeep just sits under the carport and doesn't get driven much. I also made the mistake of putting full hydro on this Jeep and that makes it sketchy to drive over 35-40 mph on the road. I had hydro assist on my old Jeep, but figured with this one I would probably end up 4-linking it one day and didn't want to limit moving the front axle forward with the hydro assist. Now I often wish I would have just done the hydro assist because I probably won't end up 4-linking this one. I kind of like the "cool factor" of following the buggies up obstacles in my old CJ on leaf springs and 37's.

We recently bought an RV, so now the plan is to buy my wife a 4 door Rubicon she can drive everyday, can be towed behind the RV on vacations to the mountains, and can be used for light wheeling here in Florida. After we put a lift kit and wheels and tires on it we might change our mind and end up wheeling it harder and constantly having to repair/upgrade it too. It seems like the cycle never ends!

I think the next rig I buy will be a one ton Jeep that can still be road driven. Something I can crawl around in at GMP without worrying about breaking, but still drive up to Pickett or Alpine and trail ride.

Stock rig small tire no flex is fun for a minute, till lyou see a cool (but not that difficult) creek bed or rock garden and just have to watch.

A rig like Luke's that is small, stockish, and road drivable, but you don't have to worry about body/glass damage would be pretty cool too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a lot of fun in a 4 cylinder jeep before and after the spring over.
Sure was a lot easier to get unstuck.

TBItoy said:
Stock rig small tire no flex is fun for a minute, till lyou see a cool (but not that difficult) creek bed or rock garden and just have to watch.

A rig like Luke's that is small, stockish, and road drivable, but you don't have to worry about body/glass damage would be pretty cool too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll have you know I've not turned down or been turned down on a creek bed or rock garden yet. I have a very make it or break it into tiny pieces attitude.

I'll admit the first post may have sounded a little gay but I think most people got what I was going for. I love wheelin', been doing it for right at 22 years now and I really don't see my self stopping anytime soon. I do however see a lot of the guys I competed with back in the early days of rock crawling getting stock willys and having a blast with them. onepieceatatime said it well, it's just seems like a scratch I need to itch.

The Luke said:
I'll have you know I've not turned down or been turned down on a creek bed or rock garden yet. I have a very make it or break it into tiny pieces attitude.

Yep that's what I was getting at. if you tip over or rake against a tree it's not going to shitwreck your X-tube-J. My similarly setup 4Runner (locked on 33s) has 2 miles of glass and sheetmetal to bust up.

TBItoy said:
Yep that's what I was getting at. if you tip over or rake against a tree it's not going to shitwreck your X-tube-J. My similarly setup 4Runner (locked on 33s) has 2 miles of glass and sheetmetal to bust up.
I get that. Sheet metal and glass is a waste of time....except when it's raining....