• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Partially Committed Racing's buggy #004 build

redneckengineered said:
Damn seeing it outside and with the seats in it really gives some perspective, loving the clean lines. You should probably just cancel all your vacation time and finish it up :flipoff1:

Its both big and small at the same time. Sitting next to mine its hard to really tell the size difference unless you are looking at them from the front. Once there is a body on Todd's that will change...but for now its almost just as compact as mine is. It should wheel really well. Actually has kinda almost maybe convinced me that my next chassis will be a 54". This thing will be super comfortable.

T16murray said:
I agree let's get this thing on the trails :stir:

yea yea laughing1

paradisepwoffrd said:
Dang, the engine is low in that rascal. Shame there's got to be sheet metal and all those other critical parts taking up the view out the front of the buggy.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

It is definitely low and back - thats one of the main things we went after on the original 2 builds as well. The further down and back it is, the better it wheels...within reason obviously, but its a pretty solid key factor in building a chassis like this. You dont get to sit behind the drivetrain and have a super low roof and tall belly like a bouncer does...but the trade offs are that you get a better center of gravity, shorter wheelbase, and much much much better visibility.

That said though...the front fills up FAST. Radiator, winch, coolers, and possibly even an oil accumulator will all find a home up there behind the grill. Then there will be a small bumper and mini stinger up front outside the grill. The radiator leans pretty far back to keep the hood down low so between it and the winch you have pretty much the whole frame rail spoken for in front of the engine.

Re: Re: Partially Committed Racing's buggy #004 build

slravenel said:
Its both big and small at the same time. Sitting next to mine its hard to really tell the size difference unless you are looking at them from the front. Once there is a body on Todd's that will change...but for now its almost just as compact as mine is. It should wheel really well. Actually has kinda almost maybe convinced me that my next chassis will be a 54". This thing will be super comfortable.

yea yea laughing1

It is definitely low and back - thats one of the main things we went after on the original 2 builds as well. The further down and back it is, the better it wheels...within reason obviously, but its a pretty solid key factor in building a chassis like this. You dont get to sit behind the drivetrain and have a super low roof and tall belly like a bouncer does...but the trade offs are that you get a better center of gravity, shorter wheelbase, and much much much better visibility.

That said though...the front fills up FAST. Radiator, winch, coolers, and possibly even an oil accumulator will all find a home up there behind the grill. Then there will be a small bumper and mini stinger up front outside the grill. The radiator leans pretty far back to keep the hood down low so between it and the winch you have pretty much the whole frame rail spoken for in front of the engine.

So true. Doesn't take long to eat up some space...

Congestion in front of motor and ass height relative to valve covers....

Looking real nice brother
37b31926f365a531509e88e11b0b1b1c.jpg
c2aa016a82f6f97c5c4168b7eea558f0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Rear radiator makes for a lot more space up front to either put other things, or just make the front end smaller...but then of course the trade off is you loose a good bit of space or visibility out of the back.

We are toying around with the idea of putting the winch behind the radiator on this one. Since the owner is using a full size winch, we can put it back in the void left behind the radiator and move that forward a bit more to let things sit down in there a bit better. Will also put the winch right above the front axle for the suckdown as well. It will take some thinking...but we are going to play with it a bit to see if it is workable and also if it makes sense. It's hard to really know until we get things laid in place.

Stretch said:
Dope...gonna need one in about a year. Free reign to draw sharpie dicks on it.

We will be here when you are ready!

Already have a few other folks peeking around the corner kicking tires talking about getting in line too...so maybe there will be a few more of these floating around soon!

I start thinking about doing a new chassis pretty heavily every now and then and this is exactly like what I would want. FAWK they are badass. Awesome work man, keep the thread up to date please!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back from vacation and getting back on this pile -

Got a ton done on saturday - got the fuel cell mounted up and in place. Originally we had planned to shift it off to one side and get the trans cooler next to it, but after some tinkering we decided to center the cell up and will flush mount the trans cooler to the rear firewall and add a mesh screen so it can pull air from the cab. This will make things a little less crowded in the back.

pjHyfCP.jpg

KyL7n3a.jpg

Then we got a majority of the main interior in, trimmed, and mounted. There is still some obvious fit and finish to take care of in there - as well as a dash, rear firewall, and console. But that will all fall into place as we go forward. There is tons of footroom in this one compared to mine, which I know Todd was a bit concerned about at first. Hopefully not anymore!

SI86i5a.jpg

OS8dIOe.jpg

7mcNGIL.jpg

ZLKcO6W.jpg

Vs mine:

NolaJUv.jpg

redneckengineered said:
Looking awesome Lee. Has anyone mentioned the new powerplant Todd picked up for this unit? thumb.gif :****:

Thanks dude; its most certainly going to be the nicest of the buggies we have built so far

You know...I dont think I have yet - sumbitch went all Dobash on us and got a kick ass 408 stroker to go in this thing. Its gonna do some pretty sweet peel outs I think! booyang

Got the cowl trimmed up and sat down in its place last night, so we can finally really start to see what we are looking like!

It needs final fit and finish and I need to weld the mounts in, but it will basically sit here. We may need to bring it up 1/2" or so to keep the shock bolts underneath the hood, but eyeball measurements say the bolts may already be underneath...we will see once we get the hood laid up there.

4i94KXh.jpg

6s2pJJo.jpg

Mekp4U7.jpg

I got to check out the silver one at harlan a few weeks ago. If this is anything like that, it'll be a home run. Fit, finish and attention to detail is unreal. These rigs are awesome at face value but it really is all of the little details that add up to a cool machine.

Beerj said:
I got to check out the silver one at harlan a few weeks ago. If this is anything like that, it'll be a home run. Fit, finish and attention to detail is unreal. These rigs are awesome at face value but it really is all of the little details that add up to a cool machine.

design wise they are very similar. silver is more simple, red is a little more complex, this one is by far and wide the best overall combo of parts in all 3 of them.

He and I both agree though, that on most accounts this one will be nicer than both the silver and the red one. We are taking everything that we did on both of ours...and then doing everything that we wish we would have done on those in hindsight.

Hopefully Todd is super pumped about what comes out at the end.

Few more parts found their way home over the weekend too:

Got the rear bumps located and tacked in, we need to build pads off the truss obviously, but this should do the job:

JtJrUbN.jpg

Defz44A.jpg

added in the shock mount supports:

FfrR4wr.jpg

then got the Griffin radiator set in place also. This may change slightly...but its pretty close to where it will be:

waljPJK.jpg

We are going to try and make this bigger, integrated winch work up here, but it may block too much of the radiator...hoping the 2 fans do enough work to keep the 408 cool on the trails.

NZd6DnL.jpg

love all of these builds you guys are doing! Rando question on yours. How did you finish the skins, is that vinyl wrap?

i
London said:
love all of these builds you guys are doing! Rando question on yours. How did you finish the skins, is that vinyl wrap?

it is - its a matte crimson red 3M color. the silver one is paint.

Paint is way more durable, but its going to be either 1) $$$$$$ or 2) impossible to do a clean and perfect matte color on a big flat panel like that. I am happy with the wrap but you have to keep it in mind that it really is a disposable finish.