• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

The back handed yj

417chevy

Need some ideas I'm redoing the the height on this jeep I got how does everyone mount their coilovers pics of yours. This thing needs dropped a foot+

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Coilover mounting on back handed yj

4914e2b70673d5ec2146677903444125.jpg

Move the coilover mounts up 12" on the frame side and drop that bitch down. Odds are you will have to redo your link mounts as they look super short in the pics. Also what length Coilovers are those? Look like 20's. Changing them to 14s would make a huge difference as i highly doubt your suspension/u-joints/driveshafts can utilize that much travel.

Those do look like some long ass shocks, but it looks like you have room to drop it a lot. How much up-travel are you running now? Some better pics of your current setup would help. As a general suggestion for you, I'd remove the shocks, and set the Jeep as low as you can before you start hitting things (motor, radiators, whatever else end up in the way). If you want to go lower, move things to make room and go lower. Once you are set at your new full bump height, stick your shocks on the axle (no springs, fully compressed) and figure out where your upper mounts need to be. Build it, burn it in, get weights and do math, add springs, rockcrawl, profit.

I'm running 14" COs in front and 16" air shocks in the back. Set at 5" up travel. The front hoops clear the hood by maybe 1/4". If I had longer shocks, they'd be through the hood.

3485674d1506901131-bgredjeeps-yj-thread-20171001_181853-1008x756.jpg

I think your predictive text just named your rig for you. :****:

I don't think the shocks are abnormally long, just looks like the springs are not correct and has the shocks extended much farther than necessary at static ride height. Looks like over half the shaft is showing. Could probably get the springs dialed in and drop it at least 6", but hard to tell from a blurry ass pic taken from 25' away.

Also looks like your upper shock mounts on the front are low for the length shock you are running. The shocks look like 16's from my best guess, if you wanted to mount them like most would to achieve a better ride height, hack up the inner fender (if there is any) and put some taller shock hoops in, then run a bolt-in (removable) cross brace over the engine from driver to passenger side hoop to reinforce them. Do that and get your springs right for the rig weight, and you'll have it dropped a foot. Pretty much same thing for rear. Might have to put some tabs on the rear cage that shoot upward a bit to mount the shocks in, and again paired with correct springs, it should drop it down a lot.

Re:

I'd remove that yellow spring on the pass side. Looks like it's hold up the whole Jeep. :****: :fish:

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Re:

ranger11 said:
I'd remove that yellow spring on the pass side. Looks like it's hold up the whole Jeep. :****: :fish:

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Ha! This guy is hitting the nail on the head! molaugh

BUG-E J said:
I think your predictive text just named your rig for you. :****:
Yeah I noticed that liked it so I left it

This a rig I just got so I'll get pics it's radius armed in the front and 4 linked rear

Re:

Is it just me or are the rod ends on those links tiny as ****? The links look tiny too?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

TacomaJD said:
Is it just me or are the rod ends on those links tiny as ****? The links look tiny too?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Changes are being ordered

Git r dun, looks like you have plenty room to modify the hoops on front, plenty room to cut those upper brackets off on the rear and put some new ones higher up, then get your springs right to where only 5-6" of shaft is showing on shocks, and there's yer foot less worth of ride height.

Yeah, Id cut all the suspension mounts off ans start fresh with new rod ends and link material. Go 3 or 4 link up front and modify the rear mounts to lower it down.

Coilovers look pretty good, just really long. I doubt your suspension, even if redone, could realistically handle the travel an 18" shock can give. Your u-joints on the driveshafts would hate life. That being said, you can always limit the down travel with some limit straps. The frame mounts for the shocks definitely need to be raised some to lower the rig down. Overall it looks like a decent platform to build off of.

the_white_shadow said:
Yeah, Id cut all the suspension mounts off ans start fresh with new rod ends and link material. Go 3 or 4 link up front and modify the rear mounts to lower it down.

Coilovers look pretty good, just really long. I doubt your suspension, even if redone, could realistically handle the travel an 18" shock can give. Your u-joints on the driveshafts would hate life. That being said, you can always limit the down travel with some limit straps. The frame mounts for the shocks definitely need to be raised some to lower the rig down. Overall it looks like a decent platform to build off of.
Yeah the suspensions maxed out how it is now guy went muddin with it
It's a good starting point for sure sbc on propane th350 twin stick Dana 300 kingpin 60 and a 14bolt with 5.38s

That geometry in the rear is poo. Like the others said, sell or trade the 18's and get some 14s or 16s and redo all of the links and mounts completely.

Re: Re: Coilover mounting on back handed yj

Beerj said:
That geometry in the rear is poo. Like the others said, sell or trade the 18's and get some 14s or 16s and redo all of the links and mounts completely.
Geometry in front as well. Your caster and king pin inclination is going on the wrong direction.

Definitely a good platform, cut and clean from chassis down, then redo.

Well be watching

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk