• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

School me on motorhomes. The good the bad and the ugly!!

nealcj8

I'm looking at buying a motor home for family camping and riding I would really like one with a 8.3 Cummins. Who's got what and how do you like it?

I'll probably be in the market for one in the next couple of years. The biggest problem I can see is Class-C is limited to legally towing around 5000 lbs. I don't need or can afford anything much bigger. How hard is it to upgrade one? I'm looking to tow in the 6000lbs - 7000lbs range.

I am towing around 17,000 lbs with a class A 40 ft with 8.3 with a small chip does ok nothing like my 475 hp cat in my toter home my toter is for sale

DO NOT BUY NEW!!!!!!!!!!!! I bought a Fleetwood DIscovery with Cat330hp and loved it, just never used it unfortunately. Which ever make you buy, make sure it comes with a big truck chassis, mine was on a Freightliner chassis and rode like a dream. :driving: flashemifyougotem

ADMINISTRATOR

I have a Tiffin 42 QBH on a Freightliner chassis with the 8.3 and it has been great so far, I really like that the Tiffin factory is in Red Bay, AL and I can get any service work done by the builder.

ForMud said:
What's the insurance like on these? ( Money wise )

I'm $900 a year on a $150k unit.

Apparently for $150K you get multiple water leaks, bad molding, non working heat, and little issues all over.

My point is, know you are getting a heavy maintenance headache. RV's are very cheeply built. Toters to class A's. If you want a nice one plan to pay $500k +

Poke said:

Apparently for $150K you get multiple water leaks, bad molding, non working heat, and little issues all over.

My point is, know you are getting a heavy maintenance headache. RV's are very cheeply built. Toters to class A's. If you want a nice one plan to pay $500k +

AMEN !!

Another big thing is tires, they can be brand new and due to age you will want to replace them, especially the steer tires.

Poke said:

Real talk!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nealcj8 said:
I'm looking at buying a motor home for family camping and riding I would really like one with a 8.3 Cummins. Who's got what and how do you like it?

Throw out some parameters of what you are looking for in a motorhome. What size, slides, how many people, how much will you drive it and how long of drives will you be taking it on? Do you have a manufacturer in mind?
I bought mine new with the intentions of driving it cross country and showing the family unit the Grand Canyon and such but ended up in camping out in Walmart parking lots during travel baseball tournaments and an occasional weekend trip riding. We just didn't/ couldn't make time to use it so we paid it off and sold it for a huge loss. That is why I say buy used and let the other guy take the loss.

ADMINISTRATOR

Latest posts