• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

SPIndle nut tech?

skipnrocks

So I am annoyed trying to align that stupid little pin up on my spindle nut to my lock washer on my Dana 60 hubs. I broke one pin off.

So my question is for something that sees a couple trips a year at mostly lower speeds is that little pin essential? Since I did break one. And if so is there a way to replace it or do you just buy a whole new kit.

Second. What trucks are there for aligning the dang thing. Once it's in the hub you can't see crap.

I ran mine for 4 or 5 years without them. I red thread locked them on and still had to re adjust them every 3 or 4 rides. I went to the after market ones and they are flashemifyougotem. Haven't had an issue since.

Stage 8 spindle nuts ftw. Not cheap but is the solution

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As much gayness as my old D44 went through, those nut-tits were broke off/wore off. I just set the preload as guddentight on the first nut then tightened the **** outta the second nut. I never had one come off or finger loose.....but had a couple axle replacements where it reeeeeaaally didn't take that much effort to loosen that lock nut.

This was on my Cherokee that I drove to/from the trails at the time.

I want to say it was about a year or 2 ago I was helping someone fix a broken axle on the trail and I noticed once the slug was out he had only 1 spindle nut and used welding wire wrapped all around the remaining threads and twisted together.

Obviously to me, it was a conversation starter and he said, "Been like that for years.....couldn't find the other nut last time had it out so figured that might hold it....forgot all about it."

Granted this was on a 1000$ Cherokee....sooooo.....take that FWIW.

Those little pins are just roll pins press into the nut. You can tap tap on it and push a little more out to get you back to square one.

When you get the first nut with the pin set where you are happy, slide that lock washer up into place. If it does not line up, slide it off and flip it 180 and slide back on. The holes have an offset vs the key way. If this doesn't work, rotate that first nut the smallest fraction of a turn, either tighter or looser based on what the internet says that day. Go back to sliding you lock washer on, flip it over if needed. Repeat process till you get your outy in your inny.

I have tried sticking a piece of saftey wire in the pin, thinking the lock washer would just slide down the wire into it's happy place. Not so much.

I have a friend that uses these. Seem pretty sweet:

https://www.ringpinion.com/b2c/ProductDetails.aspx?ProdID=12522

Not sure what socket/wrench actually tightens/loosens them.

paradisepwoffrd said:
I have a friend that uses these. Seem pretty sweet:

https://www.ringpinion.com/b2c/ProductDetails.aspx?ProdID=12522

Not sure what socket/wrench actually tightens/loosens them.

That's the ford sterling nut, most any parts store will have the socket

SBJeepn said:
Looks like the washer just sits over the nut which would be super easy to line up. But what holds the washer on? Jam nut?

It€™s a spring loaded ratcheting assembly . All self contained

The black "washer " part goes in first

Latest posts