• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Front yota axle locker recommendations

xjtony

Trailer Park Gangsta
I'm interested in what folks have good experience with as far as lockers in the yota axles. I'm going to just purchase a new high pinion 3rd from trail gear or whatever supplier. This is going in my Sammy, steering is the key here. I am running Toyota IFS steering box and upgraded tc pump. Just have no experience other than lunch box lockers in a yota front axle. Can you still turn decently with a Detroit or other autolocker?

You will be fine with a Detroit. I would stay away from TG if you can. Look at East Coast Gear Supply for a your high pinion third.

I'm aware of the bad rep of trail gear stuff. But any bad experience with their setup 3rds/gears? I looked into other vendors, looks like Marlin Crawler built diffs are all Yukon Gears and a little cheaper than ECGS. Plus they are running a 10% off sale currently. I think I'm going to try out the grizzly locker

I have a Detroit in my front axle and have had no issues. But, I would not be afraid to use Marlin for anything, even with a grizzly.

Re: Front yota axle locker recommendations

I went from a full spool to a spartan lunchbox locker in my front Toyota axle. With hydro assist, it was a night and day difference. I'd go lunchbox.

Thanks for the help! Put in my order with Marlin Crawler. 10% sale and half price shipping deal made the decision easy. Says allow 6 weeks for build time so I'll see what happens I guess. Went with the grizzly locker so hope it works well.

Re: Front yota axle locker recommendations

Marlin is a good company with good parts, but you should of called East coast gear supply, they probably could have had it to you by next week.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

The Grizzly locker I had was great and never a problem for 3 years or so I wouldn't worry about that

I'd go Detroit as well, never had any issues with mine with 42's no assist. East coast has my vote for supplier.

Yeap you should have went with east coast just because of customer support plus. They would have done a 5 year warranty on it for you. I broke my rear one 5+ times and they never questioned it not once. Be sure you get the lifetime warranty deal within the time period on the yukon gears as soon as you get the diff also. Only problem is youd probably have to send it back to marlin to have them set it up again if it ever broke.

Just a little update. Got my 3rd in today so only took about 3 weeks. I was in no hurry anyway and I saved a few hundred dollars going with Marlin Crawler. So going to install and try it out eventually. I'm hoping the Grizzly locker works well for what I'm doing.

Man back in my yota days i ran spools simply because lockers can be hard on equipment. I started with a detroit front and actually broke less after i went to a spool but i am rough on equipments!

BUG-E J said:
Man back in my yota days i ran spools simply because lockers can be hard on equipment. I started with a detroit front and actually broke less after i went to a spool but i am rough on equipments!

That's why I always recommend an ARB or other selectable locker. Then you have the better driving characteristics...sharper turning...AND you have a spool when you need the traction and don't have to worry about the diff loading up or releasing under stress which is really hard on parts.

Go with yukon locker and gears yukon gears are some of the best gears on the market..motive also has high end line that's good .most gears are made by a hand full of companies and put there staple on them , you won't a gear that can absorb the impact most are rockwell 50/60 which is very hard ,8620 is better since it allows the gears to absorb impacts..without going on and on I tried to sum it up..hope it makes since

Latest posts