• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

PUmp options?

skipnrocks

So im doing the 3800 Buick powered kids rig. It has a 2 in ram up front. My question is this. Will the oem gm pump work or should I retrofit a p series? I don't mind steering being a little slow for them. But want plenty of power

Don€™t do a p pump.

That car probably has a tc pump stock, easy to put a remote res on to get more reservoir capacity

Plenty of aftermarket tc pump options

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Factory pump will work. Or send it to psc to have it turned up. Or a cbr pump will bolt to the factory location ports will just be off but will work after verifying with psc

SBJeepn said:
That's good to know. How do you go about adding a remote resivoir to these

pop the plastic res off and tap pipe thread for a JIC fitting adapter (like what PSC does, or they may press in a fitting?) or get press in a hose barb tube (what the factory does)

most 4cyl GM cars, S10s, and a bunch of Jeeps used factory remote reservoir TC pumps.

Ok so I did the remote resivoir but the stock pump turned out to be a CB style pump and was gutless, it was like having manual steering when revved and no steering at idle. I ordered a built pump from psc that will be here hopefully monday since I leave for moab on thursday.

When I take the stock pump out I want to have it cranked up a little so I can have it as a spare. I have lost a pair of psc pumps over the years and since this is kinda a custom job I wouldnt mind keeping a spare for trips since I cant get an off the shelf that would get me off the trails.

So I have googled and found alot of info on the p-pumps to turn them up for use in full hydro but I cant find much on the CB. Is this something I can do or should I have psc do something with it

I talked to psc they said they reccomend just buying a second of their pumps. I hate to have a 240 dollar pump laying around so hopfully there is a stock modification I can do to up the pressure/flow to work as a temp fix if my new one goes out.

Unless the CB is different, you should be able to turn it up just like the p-pump.

Are you sure that you have the correct pulley size? I would think that a stock size should work, but ya never know. Also is it ecm controlled at all? I know some vehicles would limit pump at idle to reduce power draw.

My pulley is 5.5inch diameter. I thought I may be able to correct it with an overdrive pulley so I revved it up and it had an impact but not enough to make it drivable. There isnt any wiring for it so I dont think the ecm can do much for it. My thought was maybe its limited in strength is affected by the addition of the hydro boost. I had heard that oem rigs that have hydroboost have different pumps. I dont know for sure but its what google informed me of

So i have 3.8 motor in my build. Spent the money on a cbr pump and pulley for pump for ls. I am running a remote oil filter adapter from intense racing. Talking with a guy from over the pond he couldnt get the cbr pump to fit with factory oil filter housing. When my pump come in i had to lightly grind the corner of the adapter and the pump bolted right up. Installed pulley and everyrhing lines up like factory. Think in the end i had around 400-450 bucks in pump and pulley from psc. Thats just my suggestion. The buggy this motor came out of was a bouncer and he ran the same pump but in place of the factory ac location with zero issues. For me i didnt want to have to build different pulleys. So this pump bolts in stock location and has enough ass to run rear steer as well.

Well I had my first bad experience with psc. I have bought from them for years. I called on Wednesday. They said we hope to have it shipped on Friday but at latest Monday when is the latest you can have it by. I said Wednesday buy I would really like to have it much sooner let's two day it over and maybe look at the cost for overnight. I told him we leave for Moab on Thursday and I need time to trouble shoot it. We move on and he quotes me 225 for the pump 225 for the resivoir and 45 for the smaller pulley plus shipping. So I get an email last night with shipping and see it's on its way. Releived thinking it will be here Monday I pull tracking. Nope it's coming good ole ground. So I call immidiatly because I know it's Friday and their closing and asked why he didn't two day it like I requested. A and to my surprise he says nothing for a few awkward seconds then says we'll you said you told me Wednesday was the last day. And I said yes the absolute that's why I asked for two day or overnight then it says nothing for a Mich longer and awkward pause and then says we'll it's already shipped nothing I can do. Why don't you call ups and see if they will upgrade it. Frustrated I hang up and call ups. They can't help. Then to top it off I at that time get an email about the charges from psc from my CC and my 500 dollar pump plus shipping cost me 810. That ground shipping must have been 310 bucks I don't know. Of course when I call back 5 min after I talked to them their closed and I have to wait till Monday to figure out what the crap happened.

I run a Howe TC on mine and have a spare PSC TC pump as well. Howe suggested their 6.5" pulley to keep from over revving. Several have bought the ac delete pulley and added a second pump there. As suggested in you other threads, google the 3800 Bible on pirate for any and all 3800 questions.

Latest posts