• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

895hp 440 SBC

I didn't say it could not be done, I'm saying they are few and far between. I would bet that there are very few in buggies that are over 700.

Elliott said:
I didn't say it could not be done, I'm saying they are few and far between. I would bet that there are very few in buggies that are over 700.
This is what I'm thinking, a 900hp SBC definately can be done and is available in a turnkey package. But I dont see a motor with no real power below 6k working out well in a bouncer.

And yeah you definately can't tell how much power a buggy makes by youtube videos. All you can really tell is it exceeds the 350ish hp it takes to smoke the tires.

Y'all are right, the power range on a engine like that is usually 6500 rpm and up. I had a 18 degree big chief 632 and the power range was 6500-8500.

tonybolton said:
It's just hard for me to believe what 500+hp in an offroad rig feels like.

The most powerful thing I've ever ridden in was an 800hp Supra and I was scared like a kindergartener going to school for the first time. The 500hp Cobra's and AWD stuff I've ridden in seem to be the sweet spot for "I THINK I could control this / actually use the HP". The Supra was burying the speed-o from 100 to 180 like you were free-revving it in your driveway.

And all this was on straight stretches of road.....I'd probably pass out staring at a bouncer hill with that much HP on tap. Especially a blower car.

Right, I drove an audi r8, twin turbo, better tune etc, (700 hp??) and it was perma grin, yet butt eating the seat type feeling. Very few things feel like that much horsepower.......

lets look at this from a different perspective. Just going off from peak hp and tq numbers isn't painting the whole picture.

check out this engine masters video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1w8OU_8-JM
more specifically lets look at the graph at the 4:20 minute mark at 2500 rpm you have ~450ftlbs of torque and ~210hp
I think that would be a riot to have, because 2500 rpm is an available rpm to use .

the reason that I picked this engine video in particular is that in an upcoming episode of road kill ( currently on motortrend ondemand) this engine get put into their 1969 mustang

in that car the engine looked to be alot of fun.

I said all that to say this. look at a hp/ tq graph of the engine in question typically the more area under the torque curve the more fun an engine is.

this is how 22rs are anyway viable as an offroad engine. they have a pretty much flat torque curve from off idle to about 4000rpm

anyway it is lunch time. I off to be a fat kid

My old buggy had a "built" Zuk 1.3L/5speed/6.5 case with 609s stuffed with 6.20s and 39s, I put down 29HP/40TQ to the wheels. I swapped in a series II SC3800/AW4/300 and put down 115ish HP that ran a smaller pulley and headers. My new buggy runs a series III SC3800 with a ZZP cam, pulley, headers, Northstar TB, LQ4 MAF another AW4/300, 4.56s/H1 Portals and 39s and put down 151HP before running out of injector while tuning. I want to go methanol injection and bigger injectors and try again.

I can't imagine the amount of money it would take to build something with that kind of power, or how you'd get it to catch traction.

Could you run a low gear with that kind of rpm range and use it better. I run 4.56 and 3 to 1 because i dont like shifting but if your max range was say 50000 to 7000 rpm could you go 5.13 and 4 to 1? I know it would make it an on off switch and you would be in 3rd in 10 feet but it would be a helluva ride.

Maybe even a power glide with a trans brake, stupid high stall, and low first :dunno:

Ive driven warfare and screaming blue let me tell you I was shaking after both! Screaming blue was on pavement and in A field they were tuning the efi I was told to stomp it on the floor shift to second and let off... aight no problem my old buggy had good power I can handle this no prob right? I stomped down on blue and it pulled the front left tire about a foot off the ground and went front the right lane to the center turning lane before I could let off the gas! Never had anything pin me in the seat like that :****: I drove warfare up horsepower hill twice in hot springs it wasn't even running 100% and still pinned me back and just jumped the hill like it wasn't there. Both of these buggies can and are turning a lot of rpm (where high up numbers live) I was told the real numbers these motors put out at the crank one was 760 and the other was 810. One of them cost ~$40k not sure on the other one.

KyTrash said:
Which one makes the most torque for the buck a SBC or Ls based motor ?
Just my experience a high compression stroked sbc with good heads is hard to beat! On the other hand a stroked Ls is very strong and drivability is much better. That being said stock vs stock Ls all day.

redneckengineered said:
No reliable info will be posted because it is a super secret squirrel decoder ring racer ****. Wouldn't want to give away any trade secrets in the hotly contested rock bouncer circuit.

:rolf:

tonybolton said:
....and with that said....what do 1 ton Toyota 22RE's make TO THE WHEEL. :)

I don't know about all that fancy "RE" crap, but a good ole 22R on pane has more than enough to get the job done! 8) Insert arm flex emoji

slravenel said:
this is so true.

so many people are just adding up numbers from the internet and calling it good. Sumbitch has a tornado intake and some bolt on headers...that's +50-75hp right there!

There are definitely some high horsepower motors out there on the trails, but more often than not real HP numbers are a lot lower than most will care to admit

here's some gods honest truth for ya ;D

just had mine re-tuned to clean it up a little. I was always guessing it was a little north of the 500 mark. 6.0 lq4 ......... 2nd gear pull. 292 on 43" stickies/H1s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSMY3zcf58w

^ see this is good info right here and its what I imagine alot of guys run. Combine mid 400hp numbers with low gears and better than average traction due to all the rubber on the ground and it feels like youre making 600hp min. Heck my ZJ buggy with a stock 318 4.88's and locked in low feels surprisingly stout but no way it breaks 250hp at the crank.

What about these guys claiming and making these big power numbers. How are they getting the low end torque back? Does it just not matter that its a dog below 3,500rpm due to gearing and converter or is there a trick to make these big power numbers and still have some bottom end? Big power numbers arent that hard to make as llong as you can afford big cylinder head flow and a good valvetrain to support it, but seems like that'd turn the throttle into nothing more than an on off switch.

Latest posts