• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Sticky Tires Cold Weather?

ForMud

How true is this?

Important: For Cold Weather Storage (short-term or extended):
When Super Swamper competition tires are exposed to temperatures below 32ºF (0ºC), the unique racing rubber compounds used in these tires will lose their flexibility. This loss in flexibility can lead to potential cracking and other damage to the tire.

Do not move or operate the car with these tires mounted on the vehicle if conditions are below 32ºF (0ºC). Always store these tires indoors and at temperatures above 32ºF (0ºC). Avoid transporting and handling these tires in conditions below 32°F (0°C). Do not mount or dismount these tires when the surrounding work area temperature is under 50ºF (10ºC). Before mounting or dismounting, store these tires indoors for at least 24 hours in a temperature-controlled area of 68ºF (20ºC) or warmer. Remove these tires from the vehicle and deflate to half the normal air pressure during prolonged periods of non-use or storage.

Just Big Corp covering their asses. Same stuff goes for any "competition" tire. I have no experience with off road tires like this, but back in the racing days of Hoosiers, Kumho's, BFG R1's and Avon.....they all have a recipe that they WANT you to live by.

I would imagine .00034% of people with sticky tires actually follow those guidelines. Short of the people that store their **** in a HVAC'd garage.

Basically what they're trying to tell you is to limit the heat cycling of the tires. That is the main killer of sticky/soft tires. I can't remember how many sets of Hoosiers I cussed towards after about 5-7 races. Then you start not giving a **** and soaking them in brake fluid and all kinds of chemical concoctions just to get a few more races out of them only to watch them chunk off to pieces. But hey...you got a full season out of $1200 worth of tires, why would be bitchin!? LMAO

Most OLD stickys I've seen have cracks all on the sidewalls....Reds more than SX's. Probably because most Red guys run those tires till they're bald.

I have stickies and love to winter wheel. they still look great after 2 seasons. don't worry about it and do it thumb.gif

any tire is gonna start to dry rot around 4 years and get worse from there (at least here in the midwest with crazy temp changes and liberal salt use)

Not sure about storage But I can honestly say red labels suck in the frozen snow. They already had typical cracking so I can't say they got any better or worse from the cold temps in the north.