• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

2nd Gen Dodge Ram (94-01) Replacement Headlights

ridered3

Not Rigless
With as many 2nd Gen Dodge Ram trucks still on the roads, what does everyone like for replacement headlight housings???

The ones in the 99 (non-sport) truck are yellowed out and the light output is turrible. Drove the truck 600 miles, mostly at night, this weekend with the High Beams on the entire time and didn't get flashemifyougotem a single time.

I'm looking for headlight housings that will actually put some light down the road and have a noticeable difference between Low and High Beams. Not really trying to fancy the truck any via halo style/projector/LED etc, but if that's what y'all recommend I'd be willing to try them out.

So with that in mind, post up if you've got a a set of headlight housings you've been using and like or post up the ones you dislike so I stay away from them.

Feel free to post up any links.

Re: 2nd Gen Dodge Ram (94-01) Replacment Headlights

Just check ebay, I always install new lights and park lamps in stuff I sell. Makes them look so much better.

a153ffda3d2e405a5979f436ff592bd2.jpg

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I thought everyone was full of crap when I wad searching this same thing. They kept saying get sport headlights. I thought it was the "just go Dana 60" type.

After buying some cheap clear eBay housings, they suck. They look good, but send light all over the place. I've tried them with halogens & HIDs. I had to add fog lights just to see the road evenly.

While they are pricey, true dual bulb sport headlights are the ticket.

Mine were like these:

s-l400.jpg

zukimaster said:
Just check ebay, I always install new lights and park lamps in stuff I sell. Makes them look so much better.

Yeah I've read through reviews for Amazon and eBay versions of the headlights and get a mixed bag of opinions. Figured I'd get trustworthy opinions from here before proceeding.

paradisepwoffrd said:
I thought everyone was full of crap when I wad searching this same thing. They kept saying get sport headlights. I thought it was the "just go Dana 60" type.

After buying some cheap clear eBay housings, they suck. They look good, but send light all over the place. I've tried them with halogens & HIDs. I had to add fog lights just to see the road evenly.

While they are pricey, true dual bulb sport headlights are the ticket.

Mine were like these:

s-l400.jpg

Good to know an opinion of those. Any idea what it takes to swap over to the dual bulb sport headlights? I know I can search the almighty Google, but figured I'd check here first.

You can buy or build the adapter harness. There are cheap ones that come with a simple Y cable. I started with that and added relays inline to give true power to the lights.

https://www.danielsternlighting.com/products/products.html#Buy
Alot of ppl recommend this company's stuff. But you can diy it for alot cheaper.

paradisepwoffrd said:
You can buy or build the adapter harness. There are cheap ones that come with a simple Y cable. I started with that and added relays inline to give true power to the lights.

https://www.danielsternlighting.com/products/products.html#Buy
Alot of ppl recommend this company's stuff. But you can diy it for alot cheaper.

Cool deal on the link and additional information. May have to consider that option for sure.

Yeah, I purchased the direct replacements from ebay for my 3rd gen, they looked good but the light dispersment and adjustment is crap! I would like to hear more quality options also.

I used to have the same issues, then I went sport housing and never looked back! You will get flashed all the time in low beam that is how bright they are. I used www.ceautoelectricsupply.com harnesses, more expensive than others but worth it for ease of install in my opinion. Also there are install instructions on the website.

DirtMonkey said:
Yeah, I purchased the direct replacements from ebay for my 3rd gen, they looked good but the light dispersment and adjustment is crap! I would like to hear more quality options also.

That's what I'm trying to avoid for sure. Based on the product reviews, that seems to be the case with several of the replacement headlight options.

banditbronco said:
I used to have the same issues, then I went sport housing and never looked back! You will get flashed all the time in low beam that is how bright they are. I used www.ceautoelectricsupply.com harnesses, more expensive than others but worth it for ease of install in my opinion. Also there are install instructions on the website.

Thanks for the link. Question about the Sport headlight conversion. Since the RockAuto website is easy to use, essentially I'd need to buy the L&R housings, then either build or buy a wiring harness to convert the non-sport single bulb headlights currently in the truck over to sport dual bulb lights correct?

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    187.5 KB · Views: 104
As far as bulbs go, I have opt7 led bulbs and love them. Had them in my truck for 2 years now, problem free and super bright

paradisepwoffrd said:
Biggest thing I have found with headlights for different cars, make sure the ones you're buying have adjusters or are adjustable.

Good point. The housings I've looked at so far all come with adjusters etc.

Dirt700 said:
As far as bulbs go, I have opt7 led bulbs and love them. Had them in my truck for 2 years now, problem free and super bright

I wondered about the LED bulbs as well. What does it take to convert from regular style bulb to an LED style? Also is it DOT compliant?

ridered3 said:
Good point. The housings I've looked at so far all come with adjusters etc.

I wondered about the LED bulbs as well. What does it take to convert from regular style bulb to an LED style? Also is it DOT compliant?
Mine were plug and play, I'm not sure about dot. All these new trucks are running LEDs now, so I would think so.

Dirt700 said:
Mine were plug and play, I'm not sure about dot. All these new trucks are running LEDs now, so I would think so.

Good deal on plug and play. Hadn't thought about the newer vehicles with LEDs from a legal standpoint.

Got a link to the bulbs you used?

Latest posts