• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Paging Busted Knuckle Matt

redneckengineered said:
I've been a Pirate member since the early 2000s and it used to be the biggest flame, bash troll fest ever and it was awesome. It was so bad newbies were scared to post for the first time. But no one can argue Pirate had to be THE place to get legit 4x4 tech for a long long time. I didn't know my ass from a hole in the ground and essentially leaned completely on Pirate tech to build my first buggy. I gave it to the trolls as good as they gave it to me and that was all part of the experience. Now everyone is soft as baby **** and will go run to their Facebook and start crying about haters. The reasons forums are dying now has a lot to do with social media for sure. Bulletin boards were kind of an early form of social media if you think about it so having facespace and instabook out there will certainly pull some people away.

Another reason forums are dying that I firmly believe is because everyone wants to be a cool guy racer now. No one wants to share tech because what used to be sharing tech between buddies is now considered secret squirrel stuff. Wouldn't want to give up any trade secrets that might get us beat. I saw a sharp decline in build threads and shadetree tech once the Ultra4 scene came on hard and now with bouncers as popular as they are that trend continues. IMO at least.

I guess lastly there's only so much new tech you can post about 1 ton axles, LS motors, Atlas and 43 stickies that hasn't already been posted and can be dug up through a google search. If it wasn't for the SD 60 axle thread on Pirate there would hardly be anything new posted there.

Same here with pirate, 02'
Good points.
Sucks all the way around for alot of reasons. Not ready to give up on forums, we have lost alot of good ones though

Funny yall keep mentioning shenanigans.
Reminds me of Matt's first video/DVD Southern Shenanigans

a02cab0311cc73324a642eb54e59c790

TacomaJD said:
You mf'rs always jump to conclusions.... ::)

Ed and I have pm'd, it's all good. My points to argue was not that he was wrong about anything he said regarding small business ownership, but that he (and all you mf'rs too) are crazy if you don't think there are non business owners out there that put in same kind of hustle. I elaborated in detail in pm and I'm not even gonna start that dumpster fire here, but if your small business fails, your family is not gonna go hungry. You will do what any other man of the house would have to do, which is man-up and make ends meet however you can, even if it means accepting that you have to begin working for someone else.

I believe it was Houdini that said most locked doors in life are in your mind.

I'll debate this topic with anybody. **** all that goddamned google talk too. ****'s getting old.

I would like to hear your points.

kmcminn said:
I would like to hear your points.

TacomaJD said:
If you can show me where I said it's no different being self employed, I'll Paypal you $100....

If being self employed is so bad, why have so many here chosen that path? No financial ceiling and to be your own boss as a trade off for the risk and stress that comes along with it vs. working for someone else and hustling on the side to supplement income (which is what I'm comparing here, not the guy that works 40 hrs and goes home). My initial claim was that you dont have to be a small business owner to have the same things on your plate like the volatility and heavy responsibility/stress.

I'm not downplaying self employment. My dad was self employed for nearly 40 yrs, now he works for someone else and actually enjoys going to work every day at the ripe age of 64.

The whole "working for yourself is the worst" thing is ridiculous. If it is, why not take an easier route? What makes you go to work every day to that specific job? Can't say "your family", that's a reason for going to work each day at any job. I'm talking about the particular one that you have to sacrifice so much for, that just sucks, and stresses you to the max? If its so bad, then why do it? I refer to the Houdini quote - there are other doors that are unlocked, what makes you continue through the same door each day? There must be some reward, right? Or are we not taking reward into consideration? Because reward IS part of it, it should be discussed as well.

I'm not throwing off on anyone, I am truly interested in the psychological differences of opinion herein this debate. I want to debate the ideas and opinions only. Not directly attack anyone or any of that ****. So lets have a grown up convo about it...should we create a spinoff thread?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Points ^^.....

Another thing to note is that all small businesses and their respective owners are not the same. I know local small business owners that love what they do and never worry about the possibility of their kids going hungry and have plenty free time. I also know people who are employees and are a slave to their job, bring the stress home with them because of great responsibility, albeit for great pay. Those are right the opposite of the spectrum that Ed and blacksheep's points of view align with.

No offense to Ed, it just seemed that his description of running a small business was a little over dramatized. Nobody's kids go hungry because their small business fails. None of the hard working people on here would even let their kids come close to going hungry if their small business fails. Ed spoke about always thinking about work, time away from family, sacrifices and mental stress, and as mentioned, the need to keep things going in the right direction to support family. My arguement is that most if not all of that does not ONLY apply to small business owners... some of the most "man they got it made" people I know are small business owners.

Example story: My old house that I'm renting out is on the verge of needing some hvac work, with a possibility of needing a full replacement. I was in a locally owned restaurant eating lunch the other day before work and spotted an older gentlemen eating that owned the most well known hvac business in our small town for many years. He retired a few years ago and one of his loyal employees bought him out and runs it now. Anyways I know the gentlemen fairly good through my dad, so I went over and chatted with him a bit. Picked his brain about the hvac thing, later he asked how I was doing because it has been a while since I have seen him, so I mentioned trying to finish school and got on the topic of when he ran the hvac business. Of course he stated that it was a lot of work, but he then said "but man I sure did take a lot of time off!". Went on to tell me about all of his travels and how frequently he and his family would just pack up and go all over the place. He damn sure made enough money to do it and made sure he had time to enjoy his life.

I also have a good friend in his late 40's that does some sort of structural drawings for clients, architect maybe? Not really sure what he calls himself. He works from home, has been making 6 figures since he was in his 20's and has a ton of free time too. He has 3 motorcycles, spends several weekends per year in the mountains of NC and other places. He told me he always tried to gear his career toward maximizing free time, and just so happened he could make killer money to boot.

Just because Ed's and Kelly's small business is apparently a borderline traumatizing undertaking, doesn't mean they all are. There's no way in hell anybody can say Matt Myrick gave up his life to get to where he is today. He BUILT his life to become what it is deserves to be proud of it.

JD I like you, I'm not going to touch that post. Until you actually do it there is no way to describe how you feel. Man it's tough. That's a understatement. Some years my company has made more but the stress wasn't worth it. It's very difficult to describe. When you wake up in the middle of the night stressed about jobs, your employees and there families its tough.

poolman said:
JD I like you, I'm not going to touch that post. Until you actually do it there is no way to describe how you feel. Man it's tough. That's a understatement. Some years my company has made more but the stress wasn't worth it. It's very difficult to describe. When you wake up in the middle of the night stressed about jobs, your employees and there families its tough.

Please understand I'm not trying to take away from those of you that are like that with your particular small business. I don't doubt for one second all the cons that's been said about small business ownership, like what you've just stated. I garauntee I am also capable of understanding all of those points too, even though "I can't speak from experience." I'm just saying ALL small business owners don't go through that, and ALL employees are not immune from the same type of things. So just because one small business is insane mental torture at times, doesn't mean you say all of them are, because every small business is different. I'd bet Ed and Matt's lives pertaining to their small businesses are very different. Matt also doesn't have any kids and his wife travels for work too, so he has all the time in the world to devote to growing his business. The statement that Matt gave up his life for the offroad industry was really the only thing I was like "Aw hell naw" about. Like Matt is some sacrificial lamb for being able to make a living off of people running over ****? Nah. Matt would have to answer this, but I believe from what I know/see, he has a pretty good work/life balance for as many irons as he has in the fire.

Anyways, carry on.

poolman said:

I will take the other side of that coin. JD is a preppy little Bitch that couldn't Carry my work belt on any given day. I build houses big mother ****ing gaint house. Turn key everything from the dirt work to finish. I've had many house/Remodels with 30plus man crews that take 3-5 yrs to Finish. Payroll/materials 6 plus figures a week. I've made big ass money I've lost a lot too nature of the beast. My favorite part is probably framing and finish trim carpentry work or building spectacular staircases. But my favorite is framing it separates the boys from the man and I will run your ****ing **** in the ground. Matter A fact I started Swinging that hammer at 5am this mourning under work lights I got a good two hrs in before the crew shows up. Everyone leave at dark I'm here now as I type this cleaning up and packing my tools in the trailer to drive an hour home to sleep for three hours and do it again. I avg somewhere between 3 to 5 hours sleep a day. I run seven days a week this time of year weather willing. Its not for everyone but I love it. Am wired wide ****ing open 24/7. I started work last Tuesday at 5am and didn't get any sleep until Thursday 9pm and still couldn't sleep Because I was worried about the crew working without me.Only stopping for water , food and bathroom breaks. Come walk a day in my shoe's and than get back to me bud if your still alive at the end of the day :****: !

Re: Re: Paging Busted Knuckle Matt

86chevota said:
I will take the other side of that coin. JD is a preppy little Bitch that couldn't Carry my work belt on any given day.

And now it's a **** measuring contest....

Re: Re: Re: Paging Busted Knuckle Matt

rednecklights said:
Are we using metric or standard in said contest ? :stir:
I use a scale... 2lbs in a 3" package.....

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

I agree with Jd though. Matt didn't give up his life for what he does. It's what makes his life what it is now. He started young in a new industry and gets to reap the benefits for stepping out on a limb. Not saying it don't have stress or headaches etc but on the flip side his business model isn't typical. Most small business are what the guys here speak of. Major sacrifice and worrying about making payroll so another family doesn't do without. We never went hungry growing up but I seen what it's like to have several (20ish) families relying on one man's shoulders while also taking care of his own family.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Re:

A lot of it has to do with attitude/outlook too. If Matt was doing the exact same thing he's doing now, but his attitude toward things began showing that he did not enjoy what he was doing, our perspective would be different. Which is where the saying "If you love what you do you never work a day in your life." comes in. It's meant to be taken figuratively, not literally.

Owning your own buisness blows. If you worked 100 hours a week at your job you wouldnt touch the hours you put into owning your own buisness. I promise you people dont care if your wife is lying on her death bed. They will call, text, show up, and drag your name through the mud even if its 3am. I will never do that **** again unless i have enough money to pay somebody to run it.

you better trust the person you have running it. most of the time they will steal from ya and pad their own pockets

86chevota said:
I will take the other side of that coin. JD is a preppy little Bitch that couldn't Carry my work belt on any given day. I build houses big mother ****ing gaint house. Turn key everything from the dirt work to finish. I've had many house/Remodels with 30plus man crews that take 3-5 yrs to Finish. Payroll/materials 6 plus figures a week. I've made big ass money I've lost a lot too nature of the beast. My favorite part is probably framing and finish trim carpentry work or building spectacular staircases. But my favorite is framing it separates the boys from the man and I will run your ****ing **** in the ground. Matter A fact I started Swinging that hammer at 5am this mourning under work lights I got a good two hrs in before the crew shows up. Everyone leave at dark I'm here now as I type this cleaning up and packing my tools in the trailer to drive an hour home to sleep for three hours and do it again. I avg somewhere between 3 to 5 hours sleep a day. I run seven days a week this time of year weather willing. Its not for everyone but I love it. Am wired wide ****ing open 24/7. I started work last Tuesday at 5am and didn't get any sleep until Thursday 9pm and still couldn't sleep Because I was worried about the crew working without me.Only stopping for water , food and bathroom breaks. Come walk a day in my shoe's and than get back to me bud if your still alive at the end of the day :****: !

sounds like that sucks, I never want to work that hard.

I aint cut out for that life.

We're covered up with work and I'm averaging 42 hrs a week. I prefer about 35.

I know for some the work/journey is rewarding. I may be in the wrong line of work molaugh

I'm the "Mexican" in the "Mexican Fisherman Parable"

An American investment banker was taking a much-needed vacation in a small coastal Mexican village when a small boat with just one fisherman docked. The boat had several large, fresh fish in it.

The investment banker was impressed by the quality of the fish and asked the Mexican how long it took to catch them.

The Mexican replied, "Only a little while."

The banker then asked why he didn't stay out longer and catch more fish?

The Mexican fisherman replied he had enough to support his family's immediate needs.

The American then asked "But what do you do with the rest of your time?"

The Mexican fisherman replied, "I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, take siesta with my wife, stroll into the village each evening where I sip wine and play guitar with my amigos: I have a full and busy life, señor."

The investment banker scoffed, "I am an Ivy League MBA, and I could help you. You could spend more time fishing and with the proceeds buy a bigger boat, and with the proceeds from the bigger boat you could buy several boats until eventually you would have a whole fleet of fishing boats. Instead of selling your catch to the middleman you could sell directly to the processor, eventually opening your own cannery. You could control the product, processing and distribution."

Then he added, "Of course, you would need to leave this small coastal fishing village and move to Mexico City where you would run your growing enterprise."

The Mexican fisherman asked, "But señor, how long will this all take?"

To which the American replied, "15-20 years."

"But what then?" asked the Mexican.

The American laughed and said, "That's the best part. When the time is right you would announce an IPO and sell your company stock to the public and become very rich. You could make millions."

"Millions, señor? Then what?"

To which the investment banker replied, "Then you would retire. You could move to a small coastal fishing village where you would sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take siesta with your wife, stroll to the village in the evenings where you could sip wine and play your guitar with your amigos."

That is a good parable. Never get so busy making a living that you forget to live. I am certainly planning for retirement, but not planning TOO MUCH for it. I'm gonna live and do things now while I'm able. I'm busier now than I want to be, so I ponder this very subject quite often.

Cory will work himself into an early grave if none of what he said is exaggerated. The human body is not meant to function working that hard going Tues through Thurs, and so on, with no sleep. Unless yer on meth, of course. molaugh

Latest posts