• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

looking for external fuel pump for jeep 4.0

tennessee_4x4_man

ok guys pulled factory tank from my 93 yj going to buy a fuel cell which pump do i need i wount to have a external pump on my frame have you guys got any sujection its a 4.0 motor

Why not do an internal pump, I run a stock (only modified to lower the pickup in tank) in mine, happy with it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I put a walbro 255 on my YJ buggy with a 4.0. When I bought it it had a knockoff e2000 on it and it wasn't cutting it. It crapped out at High RPM's. That e8248 will work too, I believe it's basically the same pump.

hokie_yj said:
I put a walbro 255 on my YJ buggy with a 4.0. When I bought it it had a knockoff e2000 on it and it wasn't cutting it. It crapped out at High RPM's. That e8248 will work too, I believe it's basically the same pump.

Thats interesting to hear as I have a YJ buggy that will do the same thing. Does it make the motor stumble like its running out of fuel?

Isn't the Walbro an in tank pump though?

scrambled said:
Thats interesting to hear as I have a YJ buggy that will do the same thing. Does it make the motor stumble like its running out of fuel?

Isn't the Walbro an in tank pump though?

Yeah, it started sputtering and backfiring under heavy throttle. It did it the first time out after I bought the rig. I think the PO mostly did slow technical stuff so he probably never had a problem. I'm all throttle and no brains though. Lol. I changed the filter first to be sure, but it was the pump.

I think you can get the walbro either way. Mine is inline mounted directly below and gravity fed from the fuel cell.

i ordered one from summit got a fuel cell on its way was going to mount the cell in back of the jeep and mount pump with tank and filter had in mind to mount it all beside tank that way it all be in the dry any sugestion on where pump and filer to to be mouted to work the best the fuel cell had the 3 -8 fiting on top whick i ordered 3/8 to got to the -8 fitings

If it's an inline pump it needs to be mounted below the cell and gravity fed from the bottom of the cell to work right. It will burn the pump up pretty quick trying to draw up through the top of the cell.

so i ned to cut a hole in the cell and make it botom feed **** i was hopeing it would pick it up from the -8 line on the top

Re: Re: looking for external fuel pump for jeep 4.0

tennessee_4x4_man said:
i ordered one from summit got a fuel cell on its way was going to mount the cell in back of the jeep and mount pump with tank and filter had in mind to mount it all beside tank that way it all be in the dry any sugestion on where pump and filer to to be mouted to work the best the fuel cell had the 3 -8 fiting on top whick i ordered 3/8 to got to the -8 fitings
Here's pictures of my setup. I did something similar to what it sounds like you're going to be doing.
81ee87709433020dc8783d409b1f4702.jpg
773598d12834e15e882054f97c349bbe.jpg
03bcfc0c477d433c75ac3b660cbeabfb.jpg

tennessee_4x4_man said:
so i ned to cut a hole in the cell and make it botom feed **** i was hopeing it would pick it up from the -8 line on the top

It will work ok for a while, the pumps just don't seem to last as long working that way. They're designed to push fuel, not pull it up from the tank.

Re: Re: looking for external fuel pump for jeep 4.0

tennessee_4x4_man said:
yep i had in mind to do just like you did man that looks killer
I did it with wing nut hose clamps so I could change it out on the trail if I need to.

I out a Ford e2000 fuel pump in mine. $60. I also carry a spare just in case. Also put the walboro pic up in. I drilled a hole in the botom rear door the pick up. Those pumps don't like to suck so mount below the tank. Works great. Just cap of the top pickup on the tank.

quote author=94xjsport94 link=topic=58788.msg706944#msg706944 date=1522914928]
I'm 99% sure this is the one on mine. I also have a BNIB spare in my shop ill double check if need be.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/atx-e8248
[/quote]

Latest posts