• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Coilover uptravel vs. downtravel

candocantrell

I'm wondering how most of you guys are setting up your coil overs for up travel/down travel

Ive got a full body yj and 2.0 14" coilovers.

Always heard that 4-5" of uptravel is the number to shoot for, for crawling.
most likely going to run poly bumps for the time being but ultimately will upgrade to hydraulic bumps.

I just got my heavy springs to calculate weight at each corner with coil deflection, and now i need to figure out my up travel so i can choose my other 2 spring rates.

Thanks in advance

Think it also depends a bunch on what you are looking for...

Do you want a low and slow crawler? Do you want a race car? Do you want a comfortable trail basher?

There are huge differences in all of those when it comes to shock travel in my opinion

not sure I would say it sucks either...unless you are talking about comp crawling like Wizzo said.

trail "crawling" its pretty damn good. You would be surprised how nice it is to have a little bit of uptravel to soak up the ledges, nuisance rocks, and let you bump stuff a TON harder without coming off the line

slravenel said:
not sure I would say it sucks either...unless you are talking about comp crawling like Wizzo said.

trail "crawling" its pretty damn good. You would be surprised how nice it is to have a little bit of uptravel to soak up the ledges, nuisance rocks, and let you bump stuff a TON harder without coming off the line

X2

I'm running 5" uptravel on mine (14f, 16r). I've thought about getting a different set of springs to bump to 7" up for some go-fast(ish) riding if I see dirt riot coming back to the east coast.

For the trail riding/crawling I do currently, my setup is working great.

Totally depends on what you're doing.

Any racing: 50/50 minimum.

Trail Riding: 5" up recommended, 4" Min

Comp Crawling: 3" up

Also plan to loose 1" of shaft on a coilover. 5/8" for the bumper, and 3/8" of chrome for a safety margin

I agree with 50/50 unless it's comp crawling. Tuning the shocks will help more than anything. If you expect to bolt a shock on and work 100% you're living in 1995.

Latest posts