• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Amc 304

Goatrider

The outdoors is my life!!!
My 258 in my jeep kinda gave up last trip so I'm putting together a low mile 304 from my dads barn that is in good shape, and I have a set of 3196291c amc 360 heads I have from a swap meet. My issue is from what I'm reading, some people (other forums) had issues just bolting these heads on and some people never have a problem, because the valves in the higher cubic inch motors are some much bigger... Does anyone know about doing this swap? Or should I clean up and bolt the original heads back on?

The 304 heads are
Intake: 1.787 Exhaust: 1.406
With 58.92 cc combustion chamber

The 360 heads are
Intake: 2.025 Exhaust: 1.68
With 50.6 cc combustion chamber

The 360 heads should considerably flow better and create more compression (research came up with 2 numbers for compression with these small cc heads, 9.5 and 10.5)

I'm also planning on running all stock internals except a k8600 summit cam and lifter combo (cause it's a budget build)
Can spec is
289/300 duration
.473/.497 lift
With a 112 lobe separation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont know that you'll find a whole lot of help with AMC stuff around here, now if you needed to build a 600hp LS that'd be a different story everyone has one of those. Now If youre just looking for someone to Google the answer for ya then youre looking for a guy named TacomaJD.

On a serious note I have assembled a few oddball engines and I can tell you for certain that the only way you'll know whether or not your combo will work is to mock it up and check clearance yourself. There are plenty of combos that "should" work but end up coming apart quickly because nobody checked clearances. Also if its so close that some guys get away with it and some dont like your post suggests then maybe a set of offset dowel pins and thicker/thinner intake gaskets to move the heads up or down on the block for more clearance. Or maybe turn down the valve head O.D. and sink the valves slightly. It really depends on where your clearance issue is located, there's probably even a little material that could be ground out of the top of the cylinder wall above the top ring if necessary too. With all that said, really not going to know what you have until you set a head on the block and check.

Thanks for the input... As of now it's ready to be played with and clearanced. We will see if I can make enough room and if the valves will touch the pistons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts