• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Relocating YJ computer / ECM.

rugger99

Yesterday I removed the vacuum canister and the computer (or ECM may be the correct terminology) from the driver side firewall. The canister got the heave - ho and I re-routed the wiring loom into the cab area. I am going to mount the computer high on the firewall on the passenger side inside the cab. Does anyone know of a company that makes a mount for this ? I know there are ones for the LS computers but I have not located or heard of any for the stock YJ computer. Anyone have a lead on one or gone through this process themselves ?

How is it mounted stock?

It's common on Toyotas to relocate the ecm to the back of the glovebox, and I always just used the stock sheet metal mount tabs, bent around, trimmed and such

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is what I was thinking too. Just move the factory mount too if possible.

TBItoy said:
How is it mounted stock?

It's common on Toyotas to relocate the ecm to the back of the glovebox, and I always just used the stock sheet metal mount tabs, bent around, trimmed and such

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The stock setup is three screws that go through preexisting holes on the ECM body and screw into plastic tabs on the firewall...wanting to do something a tad stouter than this. I can drill three holes through the firewall and use bolts/nuts/lock washers along with an aluminum plate on the backside but wanted to see if anyone had a better idea.

rugger99 said:
The stock setup is three screws that go through preexisting holes on the ECM body and screw into plastic tabs on the firewall...wanting to do something a tad stouter than this. I can drill three holes through the firewall and use bolts/nuts/lock washers along with an aluminum plate on the backside but wanted to see if anyone had a better idea.

I've had mine mounted that way for years, on the firewall behind the glovebox. It mostly just sits on jack stands though...

Got it moved and mounted yesterday. Ended up drilling three holes in the firewall on the passenger side where the firewall has been reinforced to support the weight of the battery. I used 10mm bolts, which are a very snug fit when run through the existing holes of the ECM body. I used fender washers on the back side. I tried posting some photo's but the server doesn't want to cooperate.