• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

If it's free it's P

P

If its free, its P
Ive needed a rear tire for my bike for awhile, was looking at a car tire because they get hella miles out of them and they are cheaper. Then bike night happened and well, if ya win the burnout contest you get a free tire. 5th gear 100mph on the speedo gets them poppin. I left the bike there for a front tire and detail. SO.... 700 bux of tires for 221.00 out of pocket, 4 free beers and a 70 dollar Dunlop mail in rebate has me pretty happy with this route !
375077485322195f5f100e5069d24a70.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Nice. Glad to see your neighbors hadnt blown all their grass clippings in the road and you were able to make it to town.

Is that RIch Berry standing there telling you "Paul, I think you're going to ruin that tire!" ? :rolf:

ADMINISTRATOR

No way in iron horseshit I'd pay that much for tires! (I know you got em damn near free, just saying.)

Some of the guys from work ride harleys and don't work on their own **** or do any research on parts, they just drop the bike off at the harley dealer and pay em the $700+ you speak of for new tires installed. Such a fawking ripoff.

Next time you need tars, buy you some Avon Cobra's for about $300 and maybe you can find a shop like we have locally that will mount and balance the new tires for $50-60 if you take them off and bring wheels and tires to them. I've got around 7k miles on my Avon Cobras and they are still a little north of half tread. I expect to get a solid 15k miles out of them unless I get tired of the flat spot they'll have earlier and change sooner. Super grippy tires, corners great, wears well.

I read up on the car tire business, not a bad idea I guess, I just hate the look. And even though people say they still corner good, I'd bet I would be very unsatisfied with cornering of a car tire on rear.

And where's the vid of the rubber melting smoke show??? :drinkers: booyang

TacomaJD said:
No way in iron horseshit I'd pay that much for tires! (I know you got em damn near free, just saying.)

Some of the guys from work ride harleys and don't work on their own **** or do any research on parts, they just drop the bike off at the harley dealer and pay em the $700+ you speak of for new tires installed. Such a fawking ripoff.

Next time you need tars, buy you some Avon Cobra's for about $300 and maybe you can find a shop like we have locally that will mount and balance the new tires for $50-60 if you take them off and bring wheels and tires to them. I've got around 7k miles on my Avon Cobras and they are still a little north of half tread. I expect to get a solid 15k miles out of them unless I get tired of the flat spot they'll have earlier and change sooner. Super grippy tires, corners great, wears well.

I read up on the car tire business, not a bad idea I guess, I just hate the look. And even though people say they still corner good, I'd bet I would be very unsatisfied with cornering of a car tire on rear.

I was leaning towards a car tire a higher end Yokohoma, but looks and the discussion I had with a buddy running one turned me off to it. I agree, I felt like I was going to be dissatisfied with it and didn't want to bother with doing a bike tire right behind trying it.

Re:

I'm pretty sure yours is belt driven, mine is shaft driven. Local bike mechanic said most ppl re-lube everything in the drive hub/differential/whatever its called when they change bike tires on shaft driven bikes...but when switching to car tires like that, they last so long, far beyond recommend lube maintenance on the diff, that people never do it bc they dont want to take it apart unless they are changing tires and end up wearing **** out.

I see benefits of going to the dark side, it's just not for me... hell my front tire is the size of rear tires on sportsters lol. 150/80/16. My rear tire is a fawked up size, 170/70/16. Avon, Metzeler, and Bridgestone are about the only ones making that size.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Re: Re: If it's free it's P

TacomaJD said:

I don't know bikes, but $50 to mount and balance 2 tires seems crazy high to me.

paradisepwoffrd said:
I don't know bikes, but $50 to mount and balance 2 tires seems crazy high to me.
If you bring your own tires they charge you more because they didnt make the money on selling you the tire. Hell we wont mount a tire unless you buy it from us

Still being new in the road bike scene....I'm slowly discovering there is some serious rape-age that goes on in the service dept. The tire thing I was aware of....I'd asked when I first got the bike.

Where I REALLY discovered the bending-overage was on my bike, the Honda service guide recommends a valve adjustment/inspection at 650 miles. At first I was like....this is a modern Honda, you don't hafta do that!? I had a 94 and 96 Integra and it requested valve inspection/adjustment every 30K miles, then in 99 I believe they all went to 100K adjustment/inspections.

So anyway, I call the dealer and tell them I have 600 miles now and would like to have the valve thing done....I didn't wanna **** with it or research it.

Without hesitation I was told it would be $650. I asked what all that included and it was JUST the adjustment. I rednecked up and said, "FOR 2 CYLINDERS?!?!!?" He stated you had to remove the gas tank and put the engine at a certain rotation. I said, "Soooooooo.....1 bolt to remove the tank....and a socket/ratchet on a crank bolt?".

A few other wise cracks were made and I basically Googled/YouTubed it and did it myself in about 1hr. Could probably do it again in about 30 minutes because I was just bouncing back and forth on my phone triple checking everything.

And also....I really didn't NEED to adjust anything. Everything was tight/spec'd. I mean, I snugged up one like a millimeter of a turn or something stupid.

BUG-E J said:
If you bring your own tires they charge you more because they didnt make the money on selling you the tire. Hell we wont mount a tire unless you buy it from us

Absolutely. We mounted some 30s for a guy and one of the 4 guys helping dropped a spoon and hit the wheel. We got lucky and it didn't do any damage but I started changing outrageous amounts to keep from doing it. It was a win win for us, if they let us do it, we made killer money and if they didn't, we just didn't have to mess with it.

Yeah we have some ridiculous mounting machine that picks the tire up for you blah blah blah. We get alot of urbans willing to pay a third of their monthly income to have tires put on they get from the interwebs because if you pay 10 bucks down the road to have one mounted your rims will be scratched.

tonybolton said:
Some 30s? Like a 30" wheel?! You must live in a baller ass town! :)

Yes 30" wheels. It was a small delta town. I managed his crop loan and had to remind him that it was not good business to spend $12k on wheels when he couldn't even pay off his crop loan from the year before. He quit buying that stuff when I reminded him that if he filed bankruptcy on us we had free reign to go after any and alll assets because we had first lien on his crop and anything it funded and that our investigations would probably lead us to his unreported income :smoke: which would then draw the attention of a bunch of other agencies with three initials. ;D

Latest posts