• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Mothers day / Sunday May 13.....gift help

tonybolton

Bypass Crawler
Besides the wife and a few distant relatives.....she's all I got left. She's still a feisty ol' gal, but she realizing she can't move/lift/operate like she used to. I hate it for her but she tries to stay positive. We walked to the back of our 1 acre field and she was heavily winded. She used to walk-fast up that section to see the horses.

She enjoys mowing her yard, but always struggles with the gas can to mower transfer(5 gallon'er filled to just 4 gallons). Do you guys know of any or USE any fuel transfer pumps? I don't want one that takes 47 years to deliver 3 gallons. I'll pay the right money for a great one, but don't mind one that's not as nice but still gets the job done reasonably and easily.

She's got a riding mower so it takes a good amount of gas to fill it up. Any help / advice / direction is certainly appreciated.

Is the mowing something she likes to do? Maybe hire a lawn service to take care of the lawn so she can relax.

If you're not far from her, go by every week and fill it up for her. Give you a good reason to spend an extra minute with her every week. Still let her cut the grass if she is able and enjoys it. I bet she would enjoy a weekly visit more than a gift

the_white_shadow said:
Is the mowing something she likes to do? Maybe hire a lawn service to take care of the lawn so she can relax.

She likes to mow....enjoys it a lot. Even though I don't like her to mow when it's 100 degrees....but I can't stop her.

jeff150 said:
If you're not far from her, go by every week and fill it up for her. Give you a good reason to spend an extra minute with her every week. Still let her cut the grass if she is able and enjoys it. I bet she would enjoy a weekly visit more than a gift

That's what I've been doing but it makes her feel helpless. I would like to give her something that would empower her again. I keep all my "toys" at her place anyway, she's less than 10 minutes down the road. So I see her on average at least once a week, sometimes 3-4.

money_pit_yj said:
Don't you have an electric mower :dunno:

I'm not mowing her MEADOW with my 17" cutter.

gas can high up in the garage with a tube and a valve ? Let gravity do the transfer ?

Not a fuel transfer pump but I bought one of the NoSpill brand cans to fill my generator. http://www.nospill.com/index.html
It is a safety can but has an on/off button you push once the can is in place. The way the spout is made, once the generator is filled, it stops flowing and doesn't overfill. It seems to pour gas as fast as my old style rubbermaid cans and I don't have to worry about it splashing gas everywhere while I get the spout in and out of the gas tank.
She should be able to rest it on the lawnmower fender with the spout in the tank and then just push the button with one hand. Here is a video of a guy filling his dirt bike. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiclrSuMCsw
It won't help her lifting wise but it is a lot easier to handle once she lifts it into place.

muddinmetal said:
Why don't you just be a good son and go by here house to fill up the mower once a week during the summer? Asshole!

She enjoys being independent. I at least go GET the gas can filled up, and that's only because i'll just take it without her knowing and return it before she knows it's gone.

I'm not the greatest son, but I never called Fabricator1 a liar or nothing that serious. Thought I was doin' OK.

Bebop said:
gas can high up in the garage with a tube and a valve ? Let gravity do the transfer ?

She's very paranoid about storing large containers of gas in her basement(gas heat)....lots of important stuff down there too. Irreplaceable.

I've thought about rigging something up like that with a little 1 way valve/lever but not really sure where I could fit it in to where it would be convenient to fill or use. I mean...without moving my motorcycle. :)

jeff150 said:
Not a fuel transfer pump but I bought one of the NoSpill brand cans to fill my generator. http://www.nospill.com/index.html
It is a safety can but has an on/off button you push once the can is in place. The way the spout is made, once the generator is filled, it stops flowing and doesn't overfill. It seems to pour gas as fast as my old style rubbermaid cans and I don't have to worry about it splashing gas everywhere while I get the spout in and out of the gas tank.
She should be able to rest it on the lawnmower fender with the spout in the tank and then just push the button with one hand. Here is a video of a guy filling his dirt bike. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiclrSuMCsw
It won't help her lifting wise but it is a lot easier to handle once she lifts it into place.

I agree...I like the idea but she HATED that spout. Made me modify it to be "regular" and I drilled a hole at the back to put a vent relief valve on it so it's like the old school style.

Current setup is that long no spill nozzle gutted to be regular and I've taken about a 15" piece of appropriate sized fuel hose and stuck on the end. She currently sits the tank beside it, then stick the rubber hose in the mower gas tank and then lifts up the can.

It works good, but she struggles on the first fill up holding the can for so long and she stops considerable below the fill line to avoid spilling everywhere at that point.

I realize I'm being difficult, but just thought there was something out there being used for things like this. I'll keep looking around.