• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Dana 60 axle shaft seal

e4cutler

I've got a full float Dana60 and I'm having a hard time getting a good seal at the end of axle. Fluid leaks keep occurring. I've been using black RTV sealent from Orielly's. Have y'all found something that works better?

fadf10ee4efd11bab738c5c53c4c7056.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've always used rtv but I use ultra black or ultra gray. I clean both surfaces with brake cleaner then apply rtv small bead then let it set a little bit then put shaft it. Also you may have to go over bolt holes with the rtv if they are through holes. Also there is a gear oil resistant rtv that comes in a green tube. But I don't use it.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Also if you just want to use a gasket then get some material and hammer one out. Shouldnt take long.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Sounds like what I've been doing is the same as what y'all have been. Thanks for the feedback

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your issue is not so much the sealant, lots of good suggestions here though. Your issue is that no sealant is going to keep the oil in if the bolts are loosening up. 99% of the time I see leaks it is because the bolts are getting loose. They take a ton of abuse so they need to be tightened every ride. I would start by replacing what you have with some new grade 8 bolts and new grade 8 lock washers and fresh RTV. Tighten them to around 90-100ft lbs and retorque after every ride. I'm betting your problem will go away.

If that doesn't work you can always stud+nut them
http://www.hardlinecrawlers.com/forums/index.php?topic=58152.0

redneckengineered said:
Your issue is not so much the sealant, lots of good suggestions here though. Your issue is that no sealant is going to keep the oil in if the bolts are loosening up. 99% of the time I see leaks it is because the bolts are getting loose. They take a ton of abuse so they need to be tightened every ride. I would start by replacing what you have with some new grade 8 bolts and new grade 8 lock washers and fresh RTV. Tighten them to around 90-100ft lbs and retorque after every ride. I'm betting your problem will go away.

If that doesn't work you can always stud+nut them
http://www.hardlinecrawlers.com/forums/index.php?topic=58152.0

I haven't seen/heard of the stud+nut method before but I like that idea! My bolts seemed pretty tight when I took them apart so I'm not sure if that is my issue but I just put them back together yesterday. I'll fill with fluid today and wait a few weeks to see what happens. If they still leak, I'll probably give this a try just to eliminate that as the potential issue. I did replace all the bolts with grade 8 bolts and washers also.

Punkin85 said:
I haven't seen/heard of the stud+nut method before but I like that idea! My bolts seemed pretty tight when I took them apart so I'm not sure if that is my issue but I just put them back together yesterday. I'll fill with fluid today and wait a few weeks to see what happens. If they still leak, I'll probably give this a try just to eliminate that as the potential issue. I did replace all the bolts with grade 8 bolts and washers also.

:dblthumb: Keep us posted.

If you go stud + nut route just keep in mind 60 hubs have a different thread size than 14 bolt hubs so specific part numbers I listed will only work for 14 bolts. Maybe someone will chime in with the part #s for a 60.

Also, did you happen to notice any friction marks on your axle shafts? If you have a bent housing, even slightly bent, it can cause the leaking problem you describe.

I don't have part #s but 60 hubs are 7/16-14 thread. I used some grade 9 12 point flange bolts torqued to 100ft-lbs on mine and have had good luck so far. I ordered the bolts from McMaster-Carr.

redneckengineered said:
:dblthumb: Keep us posted.

If you go stud + nut route just keep in mind 60 hubs have a different thread size than 14 bolt hubs so specific part numbers I listed will only work for 14 bolts. Maybe someone will chime in with the part #s for a 60.

Also, did you happen to notice any friction marks on your axle shafts? If you have a bent housing, even slightly bent, it can cause the leaking problem you describe.

The left side is bent and a pain to install so I would understand if it was just that side. The right side and diff cover don't have any issues as far bent or out of shape so those shouldn't leak. The right side is actually the side I took a picture of....

So for an update I now have a variety of seals and we'll find out what works and what doesn't. The left side is black RTV from Orielly's, the diff is a new lubelocker gasket, and the right side is sealant from Ford which I got from a mechanic buddy. I installed all seals last Wednesday, May 16th and filled with fluid last Thursday, May 17th. On Friday, May 18th, I jacked up the right side of the axle and added additional fluid. Thus far I haven't noticed any leaks on the garage floor and nothing coming from the axles.

Permatex Aviation FTW, Once you bolt the flange on and take the oxygen away it will seal.