• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Monteagle MTN Grade I-24

The Luke

After overheating my 08 Silverado 1500 pulling my stupid heavy trailer with my equally heavy 1 ton cherokee going up Monteagle mtn on I-24(Engine temp was about 220* and Trans got to about 219* and I was CREEPING by the top of the mtn), I've decided it's time for a change.

Plan A:
Sell my trailer for a lighter wood deck 20' trailer. I'll be weighing my trailer asap to find out. But I'm guessing the solid steel old tilt heavy equipment 16' trailer is around 3k.
Add a larger trans cooler with aux fan on my truck.

Plan B:
Pickup dirt cheap diesel tow pig to have as a backup vehicle and dedicated toter.
probably still get lighter trailer.

Plan C:
sell my truck and get a new to me ecoboost? or 3/4 ton truck better suited for towing
probably still get lighter trailer

Plan D:
Don't go to AOP

Who's towed what with what up that grade and had good luck? Thoughts? Suggestions?

muddinmetal said:
4.10 gears
Hell I've got 3.73's in the truck already. I guess I left out a crucial part of the puzzle. My truck rockers are eat up with rust and the bed fenders are starting to show it too. So I can't decide if i want to sink a bunch of money into fixing the truck up, or just sell it as is, or fix the rust and sell it, or fix the rust and keep it, or ????

Just find u a cheap 3/4 ton . They have a bigger cooling system and Lower gears . Just my thoughts unless yur looking for for different trailer

muddinmetal said:
4.10 gears

I have factory 4.10 gears in my 02 Avalanche and it does great for a half ton. I have never pulled that hill but have ran with other half ton GM trucks with 3.73 and the difference is obvious. Even with the other trucks that are rated with more power. Loosing some weight on the trailer will help greatly also. My Avalanche will get pulled way down on long hills but never drops below 45 and will stay below 220 with the factory coolers and radiator. I do flush my radiator regularly and flush the transmission often also. My .02.

:popcorn:

Get a big boy truck to go with your big boy jeep. I pulled with a half ton until i got my truck now i will never do it again. When we went to Hale back when I blew my locker up I never downshifted until i was almost at the top on one of the sharp turns i let my speed get to low. Maintained good EGT's and my temp didnt go above 190.

Hawk Pride has a pretty steep climb getting to it as well. It is not as long as Monteagle but I still don't know how to approach it. I have tried flooring it and letting my momentum get me going, I have tried keeping it in a low gear and nothing seems to make it easier. That being said my 2500 HD makes it easier but I am pretty certain there is no comparison to how well a diesel would do. Obviously you want a lighter trailer so see where that gets you.

money_pit_yj said:
Hawk Pride has a pretty steep climb getting to it as well. It is not as long as Monteagle but I still don't know how to approach it. I have tried flooring it and letting my momentum get me going, I have tried keeping it in a low gear and nothing seems to make it easier. That being said my 2500 HD makes it easier but I am pretty certain there is no comparison to how well a diesel would do. Obviously you want a lighter trailer so see where that gets you.

I think for now that's the plan. I like my trailer, cause it pulls straight, brand new axles, etc... But damn it's heavy. So I'll swap it out for something lighter and go from there.

That said, anybody looking for a heavy equipment trailer? :smoke:

220 and 220 ain't overheated.

Light up that little wagon and let er eat.

Big grades like that will slow down and add heat to pretty much anything short of a hot rod older diesel or newer diesel.

I pulled a 1500lb boat with my 1500 (5.3 with 3.42 gears) and I wanted to pull my hair out. It felt weaker than my old Duramax with a 34' trailer, 2 rigs, 3 passengers, and a weeks worth of camping gear... of course it has 1/3 the torque.

TBItoy said:

Big grades like that will slow down and add heat to pretty much anything short of a hot rod older diesel or newer diesel.

I pulled a 1500lb boat with my 1500 (5.3 with 3.42 gears) and I wanted to pull my hair out. It felt weaker than my old Duramax with a 34' trailer, 2 rigs, 3 passengers, and a weeks worth of camping gear... of course it has 1/3 the torque.

I've not gotten a solid answer on what is actually hot on those transmissions. normal while towing is 190-195. But this last weekend where it was 95* out and the road is 105+ it stayed around 200-210.

TBItoy said:

X2

I will say, pulling with a diesel, there is no comparison to a gas. Diesels are designed to work and tow. I've got an 2001 Dodge 3/4 ton diesel now and in the future, I'll be looking to upgrade to a medium duty diesel with a larger trailer and 1/2 ton gas for DD and local trips.

money_pit_yj said:
I come to a dead stop as soon as i get across the 4 lane. Count to 5 to give anyone in front of you time to get out of my way. Then i floor it and hang on. About half way up just start backing out gradually. The trick is to not let off in that nasty curve at the bottom.

Everyone I know that has bought a diesel or bigger truck just to pull their crawler (that, lets be honest, gets out 5x a year) ends up mad about paying tags, taxes, maintenance, insurance etc on an expensive unit that mostly sits. When you try to drive it as a driver, it gets **** mileage, and if its a diesel, maintenance is way more expensive. To watch it sit and soak up money. If you can manage with what you have, do it. The only thing you are playing with fire on with your truck is trans and rear end. $1600-2200 ish to do a trans and a few hundred to do a rear if you don't roast everything. Keep good oil in the rear and check it and get a trans cooler. Most people complain about stopping a big load with a half ton, hopefully your trailer has good brakes and you have a decent brake controller. Good tires on the rear is a big deal as well, even without a bunch of tongue weight.

blacksheep10 said:
Everyone I know that has bought a diesel or bigger truck just to pull their crawler (that, lets be honest, gets out 5x a year) ends up mad about paying tags, taxes, maintenance, insurance etc on an expensive unit that mostly sits. When you try to drive it as a driver, it gets **** mileage, and if its a diesel, maintenance is way more expensive. To watch it sit and soak up money. If you can manage with what you have, do it. The only thing you are playing with fire on with your truck is trans and rear end. $1600-2200 ish to do a trans and a few hundred to do a rear if you don't roast everything. Keep good oil in the rear and check it and get a trans cooler. Most people complain about stopping a big load with a half ton, hopefully your trailer has good brakes and you have a decent brake controller. Good tires on the rear is a big deal as well, even without a bunch of tongue weight.

No brakes on the trailer as of right now....I know I know. But I'm pretty firm on getting a new one. So the new trailer will have brakes and i'll add a controller.

As for buying the diesel, i definitely understand what you're saying. We probably go out 8-10x a year MAX. So I'll probably stick with what I got, upgrade it and go with a lighter trailer.

Since I went to 3/4 ton truck towing is great. Been up this hill.
Does good. Chevy 2500.

I think just a new trailer you'd be way happier. Do you have a trans cooler on your truck?

I dont drive my truck daily anymore i did for about 2 years. It got decent MPG but it was all i had.

blacksheep10 said:
Everyone I know that has bought a diesel or bigger truck just to pull their crawler (that, lets be honest, gets out 5x a year)

People you know don't ride much! LOL

Expense is part of the reason why I'm looking to go to medium duty. For what I want to do, I would need a 1 ton dually. There's no chance I will spend 30k plus on a newer 3/4 - 1 ton diesel and then still be pushing it hard with a bigger trailer.

I would definitely be buying a trailer with brakes. When your trailer and your cargo out weigh what they're pulling and there's no brakes on the trailer it can very easily put you into a jackknife situation if you have to do a quick stop because the trailer wants to continue going the same speed as your truck is trying to slow down and it'll push the truck out of the way.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

onepieceatatime said:
I would definitely be buying a trailer with brakes. When your trailer and your cargo out weigh what they're pulling and there's no brakes on the trailer it can very easily put you into a jackknife situation if you have to do a quick stop because the trailer wants to continue going the same speed as your truck is trying to slow down and it'll push the truck out of the way.

I did upgrade the brakes on the truck a while back. Drilled and slotted rotors, upgraded pads, etc.. so that helps a ton.

That's still not gonna help stop the momentum of the trailer behind you. I was in a vehicle this happened to. It was an International 4700 with airbakes and a 12 ton Eager Beaver trailer behind it. The guy driving didn't pay attention to make sure the trailer brakes were working and when someone ran out in front of us and he mashed on the brakes the truck slowed down, the trailer didn't and it pushed us into a jackknife and into oncoming traffic. ****ed up thing was I was riding with him because he needed a CDL driver to ride with him to take his test. We were a mile away from the testing facility and he had to call and cancel his driving test.