• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Monteagle MTN Grade I-24

This is something to think about as well:

Tennessee Trailer Brake Laws
Every trailer or semitrailer of a gross weight of 3,000 lbs. or more must be equipped with brakes that may be applied by the driver of the towing vehicle from the cab and must be of a design such that in case of an accidental breakaway of the towed vehicle, the brakes will be automatically applied.

dwa2469 said:
I just copied and pasted the law the 3000# thing was what I was talking about

Yea, previously my trailer had some kind of garbage agricultural drop axles. It now has a brand new set of 3500# axles. one of which has drums, but i didn't get the brake mechanism inside them.

Anyway to lighten up your trailer? Take the middle out? If that's the only mountain it gets hot I wouldn't worry about it. But that's just me. Put a short bed on it? ( inside joke)

wizzo said:
People you know don't ride much! LOL

Expense is part of the reason why I'm looking to go to medium duty. For what I want to do, I would need a 1 ton dually. There's no chance I will spend 30k plus on a newer 3/4 - 1 ton diesel and then still be pushing it hard with a bigger trailer.
I have a 1 ton dually DMax and a nice 14K 30' goose and 22.5' 14K bumper. I ride plenty. I'm speaking of the people that have workaday jobs, new kids, not a complete buggy etc. They guys that want to get out more but there is always something to be done around the house or with kids. They buy a big ass truck and trailer with good intentions, then the cost of said truck/trailer/upkeep/cost of ownership unforseen add up and make it so they can't ride, when they could ride before with their slightly janky tow setup.
Seriously. Get trailer brakes. For my 7K axles, the brake backing plates fully loaded bolt them on were $43 ea. That's the backer, shoes, mag, all brand new, wires hanging out the back, fully assembled, bolt on/rock out. Through AA wheel, not sure where all their locations are. Put a trans cooler on. Is this a spare vehicle truck? Or your driver truck? For your uses don't buy a diesel. Tundra or GM 6.0 2500HD if you must upgrade and still drive it. Mileage is **** after you get one of the above mentioned trucks.
Cliffs. Get trailer brakes. Put on a trans cooler and make sure your rear tires are legit for the weight. If you must upgrade and you don't plan on using the heavy truck to work with and make you money, buy a gasser that will pull well and last a while.

blacksheep10 said:
I have a 1 ton dually DMax and a nice 14K 30' goose and 22.5' 14K bumper. I ride plenty. I'm speaking of the people that have workaday jobs, new kids, not a complete buggy etc. They guys that want to get out more but there is always something to be done around the house or with kids. They buy a big ass truck and trailer with good intentions, then the cost of said truck/trailer/upkeep/cost of ownership unforseen add up and make it so they can't ride, when they could ride before with their slightly janky tow setup.
Seriously. Get trailer brakes. For my 7K axles, the brake backing plates fully loaded bolt them on were $43 ea. That's the backer, shoes, mag, all brand new, wires hanging out the back, fully assembled, bolt on/rock out. Through AA wheel, not sure where all their locations are. Put a trans cooler on. Is this a spare vehicle truck? Or your driver truck? For your uses don't buy a diesel. Tundra or GM 6.0 2500HD if you must upgrade and still drive it. Mileage is **** after you get one of the above mentioned trucks.
Cliffs. Get trailer brakes. Put on a trans cooler and make sure your rear tires are legit for the weight. If you must upgrade and you don't plan on using the heavy truck to work with and make you money, buy a gasser that will pull well and last a while.

It's my daily. I think you're right. Trans cooler. aux fan. etc...

poolman said:
Anyway to lighten up your trailer? Take the middle out? If that's the only mountain it gets hot I wouldn't worry about it. But that's just me. Put a short bed on it? ( inside joke)

doubtful on lightening the trailer. Hell, this is a 4' collapsible mower trailer from harbor freight in your eyes.....

A separate tow rig doesn't really make sense because it's another something to maintain and pay insurance on. Sell your truck and get something more capable. The newer half tons are more than capable if you don't jack them up and put big tires on them. Trailer should have brakes on both axles. Sell what you've got and find a used 16-18ft car hauler with 3500lb axles. Widen with drive over fenders if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A separate tow rig doesn't really make sense because it's another something to maintain and pay insurance on. Sell your truck and get something more capable. The newer half tons are more than capable if you don't jack them up and put big tires on them. Trailer should have brakes on both axles. Sell what you've got and find a used 16-18ft car hauler with 3500lb axles. Widen with drive over fenders if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you cleaned the ac condenser and radiator, been a lot of tree dander and white puff balls floating this year, will block off enough space to cause heat issues under a load, my cousins truck did this 2 weeks ago, if ya got a mechanical fan ? Have ya checked the clutch part of it to see if it's wore out?
I pull 48,000lbs every day up a big hill about 1.5 miles long, and days when my loads are 46 or 47 I can feel the difference in the truck so a lighter trailer will definitely make a huge difference, I can also tell the weight difference in my zj to my Yj, my zj feels way heavier but Yj is on tons and 42's, no reason why ur truck can't handle that load if it's mechanically sound :dblthumb:

And I don't get the rap that diesels are so expensive to maintain, I own 2 7.3's and the only major cost was a set of injectors, I've owned my f250 for prob 6 years and all I've done is front wheel bearings , and I towed to windrock with my excursion and got 21mpg running 70-75 mph

not much to be gained with a "lighter" trailer. Maybe 500-1k if your lucky. Overall your not talking much weight with a typical 4-6k lb rig plus trailer and gear.

I would do as mentioned above, check the cooling system over good, no blockage etc, possible add more cooling capacity. going from 3.73 to 4.10 isnt going to make much difference at all, your probably pulling the hill in 2nd?

1000 lbs can feel like an amazing amount to a 1/2 ton. That's a lot really. That 5.3 is a pretty rock solid unit that can take some heat. The 4L60e isn't exactly bulletproof. Plan on 2k to fix even if it ins't your tow rig, typically between 125k and 200k. Some others go longer. Keep it cool

blacksheep10 said:
1000 lbs can feel like an amazing amount to a 1/2 ton. That's a lot really. That 5.3 is a pretty rock solid unit that can take some heat. The 4L60e isn't exactly bulletproof. Plan on 2k to fix even if it ins't your tow rig, typically between 125k and 200k. Some others go longer. Keep it cool

Half ton with a 6.2....problem solved.

There is a 3500 dodge on here for sail that needs an engine. Price the job and see if its worth buying. I suggest looking into seat covers and an air freshner if you go that direction

Latest posts