• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Zuk Based JHF/Goatbuilt Buggy

Blase said:
Is the 99 Vette motor all aluminum?

All LS motors found in Vettes are AL. So yes.

@sleepsontoilet : I think you make a great choice with this motor !

Bebop said:
All LS motors found in Vettes are AL. So yes.

@sleepsontoilet : I think you make a great choice with this motor !

Me too, shipped the doubler off to their new owners today, and trans was picked up Sunday. 1.6 should be picked up Thursday. It paid for the LS1/4l60 and left a little pile for a used Atlas. I think I found one, a local guy is swapping his the 4.3 gears into his 3.0 case and I'll grab the 3.0 when he's done.

Good deal !

With the extra HP/TQ do you still feel good about going with the 1550 stock shafts ?

Bebop said:
Good deal !

With the extra HP/TQ do you still feel good about going with the 1550 stock shafts ?

TIm Jackson has a nice turbo LS in the postal Jeep Crawl did a shoot on, and he runs them in it. I figure I'll try them out. Otherwise I'm looking at 7K plus to run the Overson Rockwell or RCV Rockwell shafts F&R.

sleepsontoilet said:
TIm Jackson has a nice turbo LS in the postal Jeep Crawl did a shoot on, and he runs them in it. I figure I'll try them out. Otherwise I'm looking at 7K plus to run the Overson Rockwell or RCV Rockwell shafts F&R.

I have followed Tim for a long time now. He does really cool stuff.
I'm intrigued by the shafts life length. I'll follow closely.

The cost of the RCV stuff is why I went with a non-steer rear axle in mine. At least for now...

Bebop said:
I have followed Tim for a long time now. He does really cool stuff.
I'm intrigued by the shafts life length. I'll follow closely.

The cost of the RCV stuff is why I went with a non-steer rear axle in mine. At least for now...

I have the stock 1480 shafts now and plan to have them for spares. I think the 1550 stuff will be fine. I don't know of much of an upgrade between the $320 set of stock 1550s, and the Baller $3500 shafts. That's a lot of coin for both ends, and the Overson stuff has no warranty. The great thing is they are all stock length, and should be able to overnight a set, or grab a spare set from any junkyard if needed to make a weekend trip. Way better than a custom one off shaft with no warranty on my portal crawler. between cutting, machine work, and heat treating they are never an overnight thing. I've grabbed several sets of complete 05 SD local for $400, so I'm sure just the shafts wouldn't be too much. I'm actually planning to grab one more, or at least unit bearings and shafts to have as a spare set for long trips like MOAB. I'm gonna do my best to leave the LS1 stock and be sensible when bound. I think between the 6.50 gears, and the 4.3 Atlas I just grabbed, I should have enough gearing to not need to beat on it too bad.

sleepsontoilet said:
I have the stock 1480 shafts now and plan to have them for spares. I think the 1550 stuff will be fine. I don't know of much of an upgrade between the $320 set of stock 1550s, and the Baller $3500 shafts. That's a lot of coin for both ends, and the Overson stuff has no warranty. The great thing is they are all stock length, and should be able to overnight a set, or grab a spare set from any junkyard if needed to make a weekend trip. Way better than a custom one off shaft with no warranty on my portal crawler. between cutting, machine work, and heat treating they are never an overnight thing. I've grabbed several sets of complete 05 SD local for $400, so I'm sure just the shafts wouldn't be too much. I'm actually planning to grab one more, or at least unit bearings and shafts to have as a spare set for long trips like MOAB. I'm gonna do my best to leave the LS1 stock and be sensible when bound. I think between the 6.50 gears, and the 4.3 Atlas I just grabbed, I should have enough gearing to not need to beat on it too bad.

Makes total sense.
Hence why I'm an RCV fan boy and will only run their shafts when I'm in the position to do so.

kmcminn said:
Blows my mind that ouverson won't warrant his shafts.

It blows my mind that these MFG's offer a warranty. Literally, we are taking these shafts throwing them in an axle strapping 40-43" tires on it and LS power (for the most part) under the hood.

IMO, if I'm a mfg. I'd offer, to the original purchaser, material cost replacement set once, maybe twice, depending on the situation. After that, time to pony up. You either have an issue, need to learn how to drive or if you're racing, well... that's racing.

wizzo said:
It blows my mind that these MFG's offer a warranty. Literally, we are taking these shafts throwing them in an axle strapping 40-43" tires on it and LS power (for the most part) under the hood.

IMO, if I'm a mfg. I'd offer, to the original purchaser, material cost replacement set once, maybe twice, depending on the situation. After that, time to pony up. You either have an issue, need to learn how to drive or if you're racing, well... that's racing.

What kind of profit margin do think there is on a set of big bell 40 spline rcvs?

wizzo said:

Good thing I run 39s

The reason they are able to sell their shafts for so much money is cause of the warranty and they honor it. Also having a warranty on axle shafts is pretty standard throughout the industry. Hell, even Yukon does. If you start manufacturing shafts and selling them no one is going to buy yours cause the warranty sucks.

For what it's worth I have bought a set of RCVs for a 60 and I will be buying a big set in the some we hat near future. I considered calling Branik and Ouverson. I won't consider Ouverson now if it's true that they don't warranty custom shafts

Got some help in the garage this weekend, a good friend cleaned up my knuckles to prep for the high steer, and scored a used Atlas 4.3 that's been wheeling longer than I have.

8oUrzIIh.jpg

8eT2JDSh.jpg

wHTrC5qh.jpg

vW0Kdl3h.jpg

Looking like a great combination of parts now. For the price of the 1550 oem shafts it is hard not to notice them. Hell you could break several before upgrading for the $$. I'm interested in how they hold up. I am considering having a stock 1550 shaft shortened.

My Vette pan is the widest/shallowest LS pan I've ever seen, and it wasn't going to work with the skids. So I tried to find another cheap option, and sadly a used Fbody pan and baffle was the same price as most aftermarket pans. I ran one of these on the LQ4 in my last buggy and it survived a hard hit on a boulder that cracked the T350 bellhousing, so I figured I'd just run another one on this buggy. They seem to be backordered everywhere, but Wide Open Design had some on the shelf so I snagged it.

I ordered the $120 eBay headers everyone is ordering for these, and got the wrong ones. So they sent me a return label and said they're making it right. Hope to have those back along with the new 150tunes harness Wayne is making me soon. Drew said my trusses came in and should be shipping soon, so should have a full roller in a few weeks.

VI0Fwnah.jpg

Latest posts