• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Zuk Based JHF/Goatbuilt Buggy

Roll bar pad has been working great for me.
470e2eb736dbc8adeb5ce1bb1acba866.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Catch cans plumbed, radiator hoop tied in, hood mounted, skins painted, almost ready for a shakedown run. Seems a little sluggish off the line compared to my L67 car, but not sure if it's tune related or just needs a some upgrades.

ZGpKXHAh.jpg

g6gYywLh.jpg

GUYmgLRh.jpg

VGtNWBNh.jpg

D1b565Vh.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Forbanger said:
Is there enough room in the rear for the small bench seat?
I believe there is about 32" in between shock hoops. If you mounted the shocks differently and didn't have rear steer definitely. Look at Mike Johnson's rig (Hurleygo3 on PBB).

Shakedown run was a disaster. Ripped a new 3/4 x 3/4 rear steer heim in half, transmission lost reverse and the fan rubbed a hole in the radiator. Got it torn apart, did a lot of grinding on the steering arms and almost had a new trans, but all 3 at the junkyard were the early 4l80 with the wrong tailshaft.

pJIKj2Oh.jpg

CssjIBCh.jpg

dijwGBYh.jpg

v0YcJggh.jpg

Re:

That sucks.

The 7/8x3/4 heims have body hoops about 2x thicker than 3/4x3/4.

Details on how the fan was mounted/what caused the rubbing?

Re:

TBItoy said:
That sucks.

The 7/8x3/4 heims have body hoops about 2x thicker than 3/4x3/4.

Details on how the fan was mounted/what caused the rubbing?

It looks like when I sucked down the front the lower radiator mount moved enough it pushed it all together. Just going to have to make a bigger space in between them and beef the lower mount up.

smbroady82 said:
any idea what caused the joint to fail? just curious

It looks like a casting flaw, but I'm not sure maybe just undersized. I only had about 2 hours of wheeling on it and it was on flat ground not in any way bound when it pulled apart. I was lucky a buddy saw it go and stopped me in time to keep from doing anymore damage, and another buddy had a spare so it was an easy trail repair. Only pic I have proving I actually wheeled, and trying to learn something...

TjFmig6h.jpg

fW5biIth.jpg

So what'd you find in the trans? Direct clutches toast? Low servo issue? Valve issue?

It was always motorhomes that would toast reverse. I know we do different things with our rigs. Lol

So just curious

I've had a few questions about my fix, so I figured I'd post a couple pics to help someone. Having just ripped a 3/4 heim in half I figured I would share what I learned this weekend. Trail Gear 3.5 9" housing using 05+ Superduty Cs and outers with stock Spicer 1550 shafts and a PSC 2.5x10 ram.

I ground the back side stops flush with the knuckle until I just had daylight between the caliper and shock. If you inboard the shock more, you could probably grind some more.

I ground about 1/2" off the lower steering arm of the JHF kit until there was barely daylight at full lock.

kYHfcD8h.jpg

PH5DbByh.jpg

oNRH6fXh.jpg

OzWZo2sh.jpg

LightBnDr said:
So what'd you find in the trans? Direct clutches toast? Low servo issue? Valve issue?

It was always motorhomes that would toast reverse. I know we do different things with our rigs. Lol

So just curious

The fluid is brown and stinks to high heaven, some of the sprags show a lot of heat, and the clutches show a lot of wear. I've been doing a ton of reading and it seems very common to lose reverse. One opinion is the reverse solenoid piston is too short not allowing enough pressure causing it to slip. Smoked clutches allowing them to weld themselves together is another.

I also found one I'm leaning towards but can't prove because it's apart. The plug was pushed in enough it was leaking fluid. From what I'm reading if fluid gets in the plug (and it was) it will cause it to short out and default to only forward gears, even in neutral. From what I'm reading, I could have cleaned the plug and it might have fixed the reverse. Regardless with the smelly fluid, it definitely won't hurt to rebuild it. Or now that I know how easy they are to pull apart, I could swap tailshafts into another donor if this one has too much ruined.

I'm trying to study all I can and learn how to work on them. Always been overwhelmed by it, just like doing gears. But once you grasp the basic concept of it, people say it's not that bad with the right tools. Just keep it clean and check your tolerances.

Fluid in plug won't cause a no reverse for sure. Reverse is 100% hydraulic. No solenoids are affected. I used to see fluid them all the time. Plus remember that on the other side of that connector are bare pigtail connections at each solenoid that are fully submerged all the time.

That low servo, the band and direct clutches are on in reverse.

You should see your issue in there unless you have you modified the VB a bunch.

If you got fried direct clutches, look at the piston in the drum. The aluminum pistons crack when you get silly with VB upgrades.

I was just curious man. Rig looks great!! I guess you're not up for 24hrs of Burris??