• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Toyota t case gears

Yotanut

I currently run 22r on propane, 5.29s, and dual cases sitting on 38.5 tsl S. truggy crawls well and is geared pretty dang low with current setup. I currently only use 1st and 2nd gear while crawling. I have to drop my tranny for some maintenance and would like to hear from some guys running dualcases and 4.7 gear reduction in case if they like that setup or are they geared too low. I'm afraid if I put 4.7 s in the case I will be geared too low and not be able to get wheel speed when I need it.

Just use the 4.7 with the front case in high.. It'll be about the same as doubled stock cases. Put your front case in low if you need deeper gears.

But to answer your question, i thought it was too low and I stuck with dual stock cases in my other trucks.

I run 4.7 in my rear case. And at one time it was all I had, I added 2.28 in the front. The thing I like about it is, it gives me more options and with no horsepower to speak of it is nice. For example: in some situations I run 1st and 2nd (at times 1st is too low and second a bit high) with the 4.7 case in low and front in high, but, 3rd and 4th in double low are between the other 2, one a little lower than second and one a little higher. I would recommend you build a spread sheet comparing all the crawl ratios, and I think you will see the advantages.

I always thought doubler with 4.7 was to low but like mentioned before you have different gear options with it. I broke mine and went back with stock gears in both cases and like it much better than running the rear 4.7 all the time. Im pulling 43s with 22r also.

I know a lot of people that have went back to stock cases after breaking their 4.7. I think it depends on the type of riding you do and driving style. It has work great for me, but, my rig is light weight and I run 4.56 (wish they were 4.88) r&p , so that may make a difference as well.

I am running stock gears in both of my cases.

Every person that i personally know that has duals with 4.7 gears HAS busted something....broke gears....broken input shafts...broken outputs ect.

That was the exact reason i have not put 4.7's in my rig...i do not want to start braking parts...However it does seem Like it puts the torque range of the motor in a better usable range because of the gear choices.

Most of the time they run there rigs in third with the case in LOW-LOW when it is rough and when it is just trail riding they put the rear box in HIGH and run in First/second.

I just run mine in LOW-LOW first/second in the rough stuff and i just put the FRONT case in High with the Rear case in Low for normal trail riding....and by doing it this way you only have to move one lever on the case vs fooling around shifting the cases around.

I do personally think they can work well....BUT expect to have DAMAGE!

Stock geared cases can be a little bit of a trade off, but they put less stress on parts in my opinion.

Also for what it is going to cost to build Duals with 4.7's and a good output shaft and the damage it will cause you are well into ATLAS type money at that point.

Having to constantly work on your rig because the 4.7's keep braking parts is NO fun.

I always liked having the option of 2.28/4.7/10.7

I'd run rear case 4.7 90% of the time, then throw in the front case when I was really wanting to creep around on a good dry day and I wasn't in a hurry. if I needed more wheel speed than 1st/2nd Lo-Lo I'd shift the front tcase back to HI.

the only time I'd use front case HI/ rear case LO was easy cruising on trails... BUT I always ran 4.10 gears in the diffs, so it would barely pull 39s/40s with both cases in HI.

With 5.29 in the diffs, I think I'd just stick to stock duals, as a plus you can carry a complete ready-to-bolt-in stock rear case for a spare.

The only issue I have with stock duals is if you leave the rear case input 21 spline, that becomes your weak link and if it breaks you lose all drive (hence having a replacement case is a good idea for long trips and such)

I run a 4.7 in the rear case and love it. I think the 4.7 ratio is much better suited to my rig than 5.2 was ( 2 stock cases both in low). I now run my front case in low, rear case in high on the cruising trails and between obstacles. Rear case low, front high for 97% of obstacles and harder trails. And I have the option of GAWD DAMN low (both cases) on a good dry traction surface if I want to really crawl.
I also run Marlin Crawler 23 spline inputs on both cases and their bad ass outputs on the rear case, as well as comp gear set, so yes their is money involved. I just like the options of different ratios. And its not near the money of a 4 speed Atlas, not saying its anywhere near that strong either, But it is holding up well since upgraded to all good parts in both cases.
I think you would like the option of ratios available with a 4.7 in the rear case.

Latest posts