• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Best prices on Dodge Ram trucks

How bad are the trans in these 4th gens? I want one but man the trans have me scared.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigred350 said:
Anyone know anything about the ram 5500. My 3500 isn't quite big enough. Time for a upgrade. Goods and bads on the 5500???

We have a 2017 Ram 5500 we have equipped for a service truck and it is a HOSS, loaded down with Autocrane and welders and air equipment. Our mechanic has no complaints at all. :dblthumb:

ADMINISTRATOR

B.DRAKE said:
What the heck are you pulling?

32' dual tandem trailer. With full size bobcat with attachments. Plus a few tons of dirt/gravel/ brush or whatever every day.

On a typical day my duramax gross weight is 25,000#

Dot got me one day at 33,000# He told me to get a x3 tag and I would be fine pulling that kinda weight with a one ton.

94xjsport94 said:
How bad are the trans in these 4th gens? I want one but man the trans have me scared.

Everyone I know has had good luck out of them. Now a 3rd gen... good luck... bout 50/50 on whether or not they completely go out.

My next one will be auto.. I love my 6spd but then again I don't daily it. The times I get stuck In traffic in it drive me nuts.

94xjsport94 said:

I've had 2. One bone stock and one all hopped up on Mountain Dew. No issues. You can also still get the Ram with a man pedal.

Bigred350 said:
32' dual tandem trailer. With full size bobcat with attachments. Plus a few tons of dirt/gravel/ brush or whatever every day.

On a typical day my duramax gross weight is 25,000#

Dot got me one day at 33,000# He told me to get a x3 tag and I would be fine pulling that kinda weight with a one ton.

Yea you may need a 550 or 5500 :****:

smbroady82 said:
Everyone I know has had good luck out of them. Now a 3rd gen... good luck... bout 50/50 on whether or not they completely go out.

My next one will be auto.. I love my 6spd but then again I don't daily it. The times I get stuck In traffic in it drive me nuts.
Yeah but when you can get a pretty well built trans for a turd gen for only $3500 that's not horrible.

I bought an 18 2500 single wheel 4x4 and it makes me sad inside. The only reason I gave Dodge a consideration was the exact Ford was about 8-9K more. My 15 F350 will flat out pull the new Dodge with the same trailer. I average about 3-4 mpg worse fuel mileage pulling the same trailer compared to my Ford. The only plus the Dodge has is underseat storage and empty MPG. At 9700 miles I already got a CEL in it.

94xjsport94 said:

Why? I think Dodge finally has the trans thing figured out. My 68RFE has the H&S tune and it has been a beast. Never skipped a beat, never gets over 160 degrees, shifts super crisp. Then again I take care of it. I don't put my tune on level 3000 and let it eat either.

redneckengineered said:
Why? I think Dodge finally has the trans thing figured out. My 68RFE has the H&S tune and it has been a beast. Never skipped a beat, never gets over 160 degrees, shifts super crisp. Then again I take care of it. I don't put my tune on level 3000 and let it eat either.

You sir are correct. The 68RFE and the Aisin are both great transmissions. In my experience the 68RFE holds up better when you do deletes and turn it up. Plus there is more aftermarket support for it vs the Aisin in the case that something does go wrong with it.

sleepsontoilet said:
I bought an 18 2500 single wheel 4x4 and it makes me sad inside. The only reason I gave Dodge a consideration was the exact Ford was about 8-9K more. My 15 F350 will flat out pull the new Dodge with the same trailer. I average about 3-4 mpg worse fuel mileage pulling the same trailer compared to my Ford. The only plus the Dodge has is underseat storage and empty MPG. At 9700 miles I already got a CEL in it.

Gear ratio in the axles probably has alot to do with that.

Alot of the 2500s come with a high gear around 3.42. The F350 probably had 3.73 or more likely 4.10

Re: Re: Best prices on Dodge Ram trucks

MoparMan said:
You sir are correct. The 68RFE and the Aisin are both great transmissions. In my experience the 68RFE holds up better when you do deletes and turn it up. Plus there is more aftermarket support for it vs the Aisin in the case that something does go wrong with it.
I agree myself. I've had both, the manual and the auto. I wouldn't go back to a manual for anything. The 68RFE is awesome. I had the Aisin in my last truck and actually preferred the 68RFE.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Latest posts