• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Transmission coolers

The-Boss said:
That is the 40 row I was talking about. I assume depth must be your problem. I think the race Derale and maybe CBR are smaller length and width.

Gotcha, I seen the P/N was different and didn't look into it any deeper. Now I see the only difference is the inlet size.

yeah, trying to avoid the 8" thick on the CBR. I was going to run the thin basic $150 Derale, but having 3-3500 stall I was nervous.

I don't see one of the $150 atomic cool units beaing close to sufficient for that stall. I ran one down stream of a radiator mounted plate cooler and didn't like it on my 2-2500 stall. I use it for steering now. The 24 row 10000 series I have is only $50 more and is a much better piece but still might not be enough alone for you. I would either run the 40 row or the 24 row and could add a radiator mounted or heat exchanger cooler up stream if needed for that stall.

I'm running a massive oil cooler I found on some diesel truck at a junkyard.

Granted, I haven't put it on yet.....lol

The-Boss said:
I don't see one of the $150 atomic cool units beaing close to sufficient for that stall. I ran one down stream of a radiator mounted plate cooler and didn't like it on my 2-2500 stall. I use it for steering now. The 24 row 10000 series I have is only $50 more and is a much better piece but still might not be enough alone for you. I would either run the 40 row or the 24 row and could add a radiator mounted or heat exchanger cooler up stream if needed for that stall.

I didn't want to be the one to say it but glad you did. That's adequate for a steering cooler at best.

Are any of you guys that are running 303 tractor fluid in your tranny's finding any benefit when it comes to heat reduction? Kinda of topic but was just curious.

I am not sure what the viscosity of 303 is but the normal JD Hy Gard will lower your stall and that would definitely lower heat. I am trying the Hy Gard low viscosity that operates like standard ATF. Very happy with it so far. YellowBullet is a good resource for use in drag racing applications. Run a screen filter with hydro fluid or cavitation could be an issue and cause heat problems.

Transmission coolers

I used the parts store equivalent to Hygard in the powerglide and steering on my new buggy. Just added a little ATF for color to be able to tell the difference in any leaks. And I'm running the large Griffin oil cooler. It's basically a small double pass radiator.

Only had it out one trip unfortunately, but the hottest temp I saw was ~155* when I forgot to turn the cooler fan back on after we stopped for a few minutes. The rest of the weekend was pretty constant about 125* even when I was on it pretty good. That's measured in the outlet line of the transmission going to the cooler. I can't say that's better than straight ATF in that same setup because I don't have data to compare but I'm definitely happy with it.

193de5756ab88058be3ec70f4a4e0d61.jpg

The-Boss said:
I do have a PTC converter but it isn't a high stall. The 40 row is bigger and heavier than I anticipated. Looks like it would cool a 4 cylinder car. Once I saw it I honestly just thought it would be overkill but I could be wrong. It also didn't fit a space as well but that wasn't the only reason.

The 40 row is a nice piece though. I guarantee it will cool some fluid and might be the ticket for you. If I have any cooling issues I will probably run a 24in dual pass tube and fin on my radiator up stream and if that doesn't keep it down I will buy one of the new Derale racing coolers listed or the CBR. The 10000 Derale series is 2in thick and the racing one is over 4in.

Just seeing how the 25 row is cooling, about to pull trans to get rebuilt. Going to go ahead a put a bigger cooler. Now that it's getting hotter out my trans temp get about 210 and stays there

It worked well at Chocco this past weekend. I was having issues with the temp control switch working, so I added a manual switch. I just left the fan on with the ignition and it stayed about 180 all weekend. The weather was really hot but I didn't have any beatdowns. Mostly just normal wheeling. I did heat the tires up on Violator for a couple minutes and it was about 200 when I hit the top. In short, it is working well so far but the jury is still out if it will handle everything I will be throwing at it.

Side note, my temp readings are from the trans pan.

The-Boss said:
It worked well at Chocco this past weekend. I was having issues with the temp control switch working, so I added a manual switch. I just left the fan on with the ignition and it stayed about 180 all weekend. The weather was really hot but I didn't have any beatdowns. Mostly just normal wheeling. I did heat the tires up on Violator for a couple minutes and it was about 200 when I hit the top. In short, it is working well so far but the jury is still out if it will handle everything I will be throwing at it.

Side note, my temp readings are from the trans pan.
Thanks, I have mine wired to ignition also and temp reads from the pan. Going to do some measuring may even try to fit the 40 in just to be safe. Think I might you my old trans cooler for steering, my heat sink doesn't get much air flow where it's at now

I have had trans overheating issues from day one of building mine. Th400 with PTC converter. Stall seems pretty high, I just had them spec it. Beatdowns and long climbs would get the engine pretty hot and the trans skyrocketing. Put one of these in front of the radiator and now I cant get it past the 150s. Has also helped keep engine temps down.
b8ce631dac9ecb015802cbd6399e8172.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

GNorton said:
I have had trans overheating issues from day one of building mine. Th400 with PTC converter. Stall seems pretty high, I just had them spec it. Beatdowns and long climbs would get the engine pretty hot and the trans skyrocketing. Put one of these in front of the radiator and now I cant get it past the 150s. Has also helped keep engine temps down.
b8ce631dac9ecb015802cbd6399e8172.jpg

Thanks, seems like it would make it harder an engine cooling, pulling thru the radiator, guess not in your case. My engine stays 210 all the time

I was concerned with that as well. I think my setup was fine for a standard converter but that high stall was heating up the transmission so much causing the engine to overheat in the process. If I remember correct, that cooler dropped around 85 degrees when I checked with infrared. The old cooler in the pic was in the back. It dropped around 30.
eac18513497b282f2c7f32d1bb9aa5b7.jpg

Latest posts