• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

05+ superduty disc brakes

wizzo said:
Branik has nice stuff for sure. Are you going to use the 6 piston wilwood calipers? Or what calipers are you looking at? Reason why I ask is, I have 4 piston willwoods on all 4 corners, if I did it again, I would got with the 6 piston calipers.

I have a theory that the 4 pistons are really only any good on a thin 3/8 thick rotor. When you start getting into the wider, stock width rotors the caliper will flex since the body of the caliper is spaced out so much at that point. I cant really confirm that to be the cause with real data...but ive only seen them flex when they are on wide rotors, and when they are on wide rotors they almost always flex. ??? ???

slravenel said:
I have a theory that the 4 pistons are really only any good on a thin 3/8 thick rotor. When you start getting into the wider, stock width rotors the caliper will flex since the body of the caliper is spaced out so much at that point. I cant really confirm that to be the cause with real data...but ive only seen them flex when they are on wide rotors, and when they are on wide rotors they almost always flex. ??? ???

I'm running the wider vented rotor, it was what was suggested to me at the time. So my calipers have the spacer in the middle. They absolutely flex.

There are different models.

I have seen the 4 pot billet ones upclose and they are beefy and do not flex visually.

Maybe the cast version is weaker ?

I would like to get the branik kit eventually, but I would want the same on the rear. I have the late model 14 bolt with factory disc, so I haven't found much in the way of after market brackets and such.

The lugnut kit works good for what it is, I wish it would have came already drilled for 8x6.5. my buggy stops pretty decent with it

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Dirt700 said:
I would like to get the branik kit eventually, but I would want the same on the rear. I have the late model 14 bolt with factory disc, so I haven't found much in the way of after market brackets and such.

The lugnut kit works good for what it is, I wish it would have came already drilled for 8x6.5. my buggy stops pretty decent with it

My rig has the lug nut kit front and rear. It stops the buggy. But better would always be nice.

Re: Re: 05+ superduty disc brakes

I agree, and it would save some weight

wizzo said:
I'm running the wider vented rotor, it was what was suggested to me at the time. So my calipers have the spacer in the middle. They absolutely flex.

I run them on a 3/8 spidertrax rotor and they dont flex at all, have watched another set on 3/8 rotors that are probably 8-9 years old and they dont flex at all either. I have seen yours do it, and Ive seen 2 other sets do it when they are spaced out.

kmcminn said:
I believe 4 piston is what comes with the kit.

Most likely the standard 4 piston dynalite that is super popular and cost efficient

Bebop said:
There are different models.

I have seen the 4 pot billet ones upclose and they are beefy and do not flex visually.

Maybe the cast version is weaker ?

we are talking about the forged (I dont know about a cast version?) dynalite as the "standard" caliper from them, they just space them out with a spacer in between to get them different widths. I know they make some pretty wild billet 4 piston (and 6 piston) setups, but still would probably choose the standard dynapro 6 piston over anything like that in our application if you had a wide rotor

So the branik kit with 6 piston calipers would be the ultimate setup?

Dirt700 said:
So the branik kit with 6 piston calipers would be the ultimate setup?

Depends on your idea of ultimate. For me, there are certain components that I'd rather use "off the shelf" / parts store parts.

If you're considering using wilwood calipers, I would go with the 6 piston calipers.

Dirt700 said:

I used the Spidertrax hats and rotors (same thing as Braniks) front and rear on my single seater. Front is 2nd gen Dodge UB outers and the rear is normal FF60 outers. I had the hub ODs turned down so the hats would slip on from the front. For the rear I found a generic weld-on mount, it didn't fit perfect but I was able to make it work. I just made my own for the front.

bcdfa65736390b88c702714048dcd4f6.jpg

d342b09e730a66bcc5dd0170c85b18c7.jpg

I gusseted that bracket later after that pic.

slravenel said:
we are talking about the forged (I dont know about a cast version?) dynalite as the "standard" caliper from them, they just space them out with a spacer in between to get them different widths. I know they make some pretty wild billet 4 piston (and 6 piston) setups, but still would probably choose the standard dynapro 6 piston over anything like that in our application if you had a wide rotor

Sorry, forged not cast. Donny (rafterb2000) has the billet ones with hydroboost and they are working awesome.

wizzo said:
Have you ever actually ran a aftermarket hydroboost kit? Or are you just drinking the kool-aid with no actual experience?

I talked in great lengths with PHolmann when he switched his buggy to hydroboost from the CNC masters he had. Runs a stock HB. Brakes are perfect.
I talked in great lengths with Donny about his (he runs a WOD ported HB with billet 4 pot Wilwood calipers). He's super happy with the brakes.
I talked Amanda Brandenburg (Wilddogdesign) into swapping her buggy over from CNC masters (she could barely stop the buggy on flat ground) and sold her a stock HB. Buggy never had better brakes after that.
I bought Jessica's Huffman HB out of her buggy and sent it to France and installed it there on a friends buggy. He couldn't be happier with the brakes.

I drove every single buggy listed up there.

Selvey (Treetremor) swapped his buggy over to HB after seing the improvements the boosters made on Amanda's and Lori's rigs. He loves his and swapped his second buggy to HB also.

Everyone in our little riding group runs a hydroboost and is happy with it.

That good for references ? ::)

kmcminn said:
I see the 4 piston kit is 925 from burkey. Wonder how much extra the 6 piston kit is? Anyone priced it direct fron Branik.

Parts wise, the calipers themselves are ~2x the price alone. Not quite...but close to it.

Tend to agree with wizzo on the ultimate discussion. Ultimate for 1 guy isn't for another....keep in mind that pads alone are pretty $$$ for these things. I spend $90 an axle each season for pads that are run down to about 10% by the end of each season. And I have to order them from summit, so I cant just run to the store and grab some pads...I have to always have a set of 4 on my shelf just in case.

But mine also stops damn good.... WAY better than it did when I had stock brakes. Not even in the same ballpark really - even if I could fit a HB setup on this buggy, I wouldnt run it anyway

Latest posts