• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Zuk Based JHF/Goatbuilt Buggy

jordan7118 said:
If you don't mind disclosing, how much was all this and the chassis? Very tempting to do something like this.

About 28 hrs total, chassis is fully welded and subframe/skidplate is on.

sX7a58vh.jpg

jordan7118 said:
If you don't mind disclosing, how much was all this and the chassis? Very tempting to do something like this.

I spoke with Jesse and he said the lower mounts are good for about 32-38* steering, any more than that and they will need inboarding. I would consider skipping those unless you run wheels with minimal backspacing and full width axles. Otherwise I would advise the full kit just as it saves a lot of time and is way cleaner than I could crank out for aluminum work.

EguKYxCh.png

sleepsontoilet said:
Roof panel, interior panel, skid plates, subframe, link mounts, fixture kit, etc. Every option aside from a GheyK hood.

I'm glad you think they are played out too. In the fiberglass world, options are limitless...

55101a.jpg

sleepsontoilet said:
I spoke with Jesse and he said the lower mounts are good for about 32-38* steering, any more than that and they will need inboarding. I would consider skipping those unless you run wheels with minimal backspacing and full width axles. Otherwise I would advise the full kit just as it saves a lot of time and is way cleaner than I could crank out for aluminum work.

EguKYxCh.png

I've often wondered about leaving the subframe off the bottom and building the link mounts similarly to the way Jesse built his. Might even be able to get the old lower link mounts from Jesse instead of the subframe.

It seemed to work well for him for years.......

CarolinaCrawler1 said:
I've often wondered about leaving the subframe off the bottom and building the link mounts similarly to the way Jesse built his. Might even be able to get the old lower link mounts from Jesse instead of the subframe.

It seemed to work well for him for years.......

No reason you couldn't buy his drawings. I did before building my last buggy, just didn't buy any software to use them and have them cut. This way is really nice, and makes mounting the skids, etc really easy.

Blase said:
any pictures of how Jesse built his?

Trying to find a good pic of it, as he changed his design from the original Torchmate car. Mike Johnson (Hurleygo3) used it, but it's hard to see in his build pics.

EDIT -

gOtkU5yh.jpg

jethrobodean said:
Ron; Curious what the overall height of this thing is? I found every dimension I was curious about but that one.

I'll have to put a tape on it, but CAD drawing shows 22.75" from bottom of frame to bottom of A to B shoulder bar.

MaPRumSh.png

So if I read this right (which I probably didn't) you are saying that narrow axles can't get 40* steering with the sub frame that comes with the kit but if you use something like pictured above you can?

Blase said:
So if I read this right (which I probably didn't) you are saying that narrow axles can't get 40* steering with the sub frame that comes with the kit but if you use something like pictured above you can?

I'm saying that Jesse said if you use the lower link mounts as designed by Goatbuilt, they are limited to 32-36* steering. There is a threaded insert that slides into the subframe, and a tab for the other side. This places the heim right next to the subframe. He is saying if you inboard them a few inches on each side, it will allow 50* steering.

76f11f882bb83e65577e113db2318a9d.jpg

You can see where my lower mounts got put on the subframe. 68 wms with 4.75 backspacing wheels. 10" ram running 9.75" stroke. Tires actually barely rub the frame at full stuff full lock in wheeling situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got all the roof and interior panels tabbed out, and front bumper on.

DxT5QRwh.jpg

yNdqcpbh.jpg

XJGMu7Th.jpg

Got all the Goatbuilt link mounts welded out and tacked in place.

sgPx7BPh.jpg

And it looks like the Zuk hood is going to fit the chassis ok.

yIK0wEbh.jpg

cHtZWUXh.jpg

Got this pic from CEO Offroad, just gotta go pick them up. Also got a text my doubler should be done today, so fingers crossed I can get the drivetrain mounted soon and start building the axles into a roller.

smMQHqDh.jpg

Doubler is looking good, definitely interested in how you like it when you get it installed and wheel it. What upgrades are you doing to the 300?

Latest posts