• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

6.7 Cummins vs 6.7 Powerstroke

RandysMJ

I'm in the market for a new truck. I'm looking at 15-18 Ford crew cab short bed 4x4 6.7 Powerstrokes and 13-18 Ram 2500 crew cab short bed 4x4 6.7 Cummins. What are the pros and cons of each? It will be my daily driver for a while also. So MPG's are kinda important also.

Also I'll be selling my current tow rig if anyone is interested. It's a 2001 GMC 2500hd, 8.1, Allison, 4x4, crew cab, short bed. $8500 obo

The Ford will feel more peppy and will outrun the Ram if they're both empty. If you haul any sort of a heavy load the Cummins will out pull the Powerstroke. The Ram will get better fuel mileage empty or loaded.

MoparMan said:
The Ford will feel more peppy and will outrun the Ram if they're both empty. If you haul any sort of a heavy load the Cummins will out pull the Powerstroke. The Ram will get better fuel mileage empty or loaded.

Heaviest load should be 32' camper that weighs around 8500 loaded. That's just a few times a year probably. I kinda figured the Cummins would get better mpg unloaded. Just didn't know about loaded.

Also why does a 6spd manual Cummins make so much less power than a automatic? I found a nice 6spd 16 Ram that i really liked until i looked i the power ratings. Then it turned me away from it.

I love my 6.7 Cummins but I don't care for the rear link suspension on the 2500s. For that reason alone I'd recommend the ford if you tow a good bit. Or just get a 3500 and have leaves. Mine is an 07.5 and lightly modded and runs off and leaves my buddies 17 F350 towing and my rig and trailer are heavier.

RandysMJ said:
Also why does a 6spd manual Cummins make so much less power than a automatic? I found a nice 6spd 16 Ram that i really liked until i looked i the power ratings. Then it turned me away from it.

I believe the clutch is what keeps the power ratings down on the manuals.
The new autos are so much better than the older ones that they can handle much more power, so the power ratings on them are way higher now.

Are you planning on deleting either one or keeping it long enough that you may end up having to work on it or get it worked on?

MoparMan said:
I believe the clutch is what keeps the power ratings down on the manuals.
The new autos are so much better than the older ones that they can handle much more power, so the power ratings on them are way higher now.

Are you planning on deleting either one or keeping it long enough that you may end up having to work on it or get it worked on?

I do plan on deleting what ever i get. I'll probably keep it 5+ years. Maybe....lol

RandysMJ said:
I do plan on deleting what ever i get. I'll probably keep it 5+ years. Maybe....lol

In that case, the Cummins is easier to delete.

And, if you end up having to do any sort of mechanical work on it, it's way easier to work on the Cummins. It is also cheaper to have it worked on since everything is so much easier to get to on it.

15+ powerstrokes are awesome, tons of power. The ford is the way to go, much nicer trucks than those flippy mirror ones.

If that's all your pulling I would also consider a gasser. That's a pretty easy load for a modern 3/4 ton gas truck.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Re: Re: 6.7 Cummins vs 6.7 Powerstroke

RandysMJ said:
Heaviest load should be 32' camper that weighs around 8500 loaded. That's just a few times a year probably. I kinda figured the Cummins would get better mpg unloaded. Just didn't know about loaded.
MoparMan said:
In that case, the Cummins is easier to delete.

And, if you end up having to do any sort of mechanical work on it, it's way easier to work on the Cummins. It is also cheaper to have it worked on since everything is so much easier to get to on it.
I think they should make modern diesel pick up trucks where the hood and front fenders all flip forward like they do on big trucks. Would make them way easier to work on. Surely they could figure that **** out.

onepieceatatime said:
If that's all your pulling I would also consider a gasser. That's a pretty easy load for a modern 3/4 ton gas truck.

I currently have a 2001 GMC 2500hd with the 8.1. I'm just wanting a diesel.

I have had a few 5.9s, auto & manual, and put 110k on a deleted 2012 6.7 cummins

I also have a deleted 17 ford 6.7
Stock for stock the ford runs way better hands down.
I drove a stock 18 3500 cummins and it was much better than my 12, but still not stock ford 6.7

I agree with everything said above on mpg, ease of maint etc.
I hand figure every tank. the dodge was lighter but still got about 3 mpg per tank better unloaded.

The ford's automatic is a beast, always seems to be in the right gear etc. annd i love the manual setting. The ford definitely has more **** crammed in under the hood, but i was pleasantly surprised how easy all the egr parts were to get to. Having just deleted another 18 dodge 6.7 a few weeks ago i would say the ford is actually a little easier just because of that damned back nut on the egr cooler on the cummins, even with a crows foot.

My biggest complaint with the dodge was the 68rfe, even tuned with shift points just the way i wanted it was like it was half retarded sometimes.

I'd say right now dodge is the best bang for your buck, the ford is nicer, more complicated and more expensive.

Either truck will laugh at 8500 lbs, stock or deleted

Kubotaorange76 said:
I have had a few 5.9s, auto & manual, and put 110k on a deleted 2012 6.7 cummins

I also have a deleted 17 ford 6.7
Stock for stock the ford runs way better hands down.
I drove a stock 18 3500 cummins and it was much better than my 12, but still not stock ford 6.7

I agree with everything said above on mpg, ease of maint etc.
I hand figure every tank. the dodge was lighter but still got about 3 mpg per tank better unloaded.

The ford's automatic is a beast, always seems to be in the right gear etc. annd i love the manual setting. The ford definitely has more **** crammed in under the hood, but i was pleasantly surprised how easy all the egr parts were to get to. Having just deleted another 18 dodge 6.7 a few weeks ago i would say the ford is actually a little easier just because of that damned back nut on the egr cooler on the cummins, even with a crows foot.

My biggest complaint with the dodge was the 68rfe, even tuned with shift points just the way i wanted it was like it was half retarded sometimes.

I'd say right now dodge is the best bang for your buck, the ford is nicer, more complicated and more expensive.

Either truck will laugh at 8500 lbs, stock or deleted

Good info. Thanks. Only thing i worry about the Ram is the trans. They have never really had a good rep for transmissions.

The tuned 68RFE will hold power well, especially if you upgrade the convertor.
I wouldnt bet on it holding up long term with a max effort stock fuel tune, but drive with some sense and it will be fine. They just have a tendency to act retarded and clunky now and then.

I like the way the Aisin drives, kind of reminds me of the ford 6R, once they get the tuning figured out the Aisin will be up there with the ford trans.

MoparMan said:
m

Lmao funny I will disagree with you. I currently have a 2012 6.7 ram and a 2016 f350 6.7 and 2017 f350 6.7! You seriously can't compare the ram to the ford not even in the same world. It will out run the ram in every way :smoke:

86chevota said:
m

Lmao funny I will disagree with you. I currently have a 2012 6.7 ram and a 2016 f350 6.7 and 2017 f350 6.7! You seriously can't compare the ram to the ford not even in the same world. It will out run the ram in every way :smoke:

You're such a ****ing dipshit. Why don't you do us all a favor and go crawl back under that rock you've been hiding under.

Latest posts