• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

New-used truck red flags

The Luke

What are some red flags for y'all when buying a used truck besides the obvious?

For example, I'm in a debate with a friend of mine about this tundra I'm looking at. Truck is immaculate. But it has a flip over gooseneck ball installed in the bed(appears to be brand new) and an aftermarket brake controller added in.

Every time I see a brake controller, gooseneck or helped bags in a half ton truck, I automatically assume it's lived a miserable life pulling d9 dozers up mont eagle six times a day.

Or for diesels when there's a 9 mile long aftermarket parts list. It makes me feel like it's been ragged out by some teenager.

Exactly what you said above, plus I look at the overall appearance of the undercarriage. Bent / dented THICK brackets, tons of scrape marks, petrified mud/dirt in every nook/cranny.

I also check out the rear inspection cover to see if it's been in to before. I also like to pull up on the door sills and see if any sand/tons of mud/dirt are there. Car detailers are pretty awesome at turning terrible stuff into nice stuff. Which is good, but if the truck was that nasty to begin with it I ASSUME the rest of the harder stuff to maintenance was given the middle finger as well.

I went and looked at two different trucks yesterday at Murfreesboro toyota. One(had not been detailed yet)was immaculate on the outside and inside of cab. Engine bay had 1" thick of awful on everything. Belts were cracked, hoses swollen, etc.

2nd the outside was beat to death. Inside was overall nice. But it had a 4" lift and 2" leveling kit. Pulled super hard to the right. I'm out on all that. I know it could be an alignment. But my current truck has a leveling kit and eats a cv boot about once a year. And as for the pulling, the steering was at all kinds of crazy angles. I guarantee that's the best they could get it.

The only modified vehicle i've ever purchased was my Jeep. I just have a rule to myself even if it costs more, to not buy modified vehicles. I've made it this far with this philosophy and I think i'm waaaay to the good on vehicle drama.

As for the Jeep....I love it. Everything I need and the only drama with it has been caused by me. Jesse, the previous owner on here really gave me a reliable rig and that honestly is 90% of any purchase I make. Cool factor and ability are in that 10% range.

Now I have SOLD my modified vehicles and usually you get a complaint here/there but i've actually been called and thanked. I still see my 2001 Explorer, lifted, locked, 33's, stereo around town. Nothing has change. Guy drives it everywhere and has just replaced wear items.

I still see my 335i BMW around town. Car still makes 380+whp, gets 25mpg and has over 140K miles on it now. Guy says he puts 93 octane in it and changes the oil when it tells him to.

I buy everything assuming it needs $500-800 in maintenance items (all fluids changed, belts, most of the steering components, shocks, at least brakes on one end) within the first year.

And I always assume it will need a clutch, auto trans rebuild, or rear end rebuild within a couple years...

If you go in with low enough expectations, and get it at a price that meets those expectations, then you'll never be disappointed! laughing1

The Luke said:
Or for diesels when there's a 9 mile long aftermarket parts list. It makes me feel like it's been ragged out by some teenager.

Most Fords need that to be able to keep up with the Cummins though.....

Pretty much ANYTHING diesel that came out after the 7.3, 12 valve, and 6.5...

Pretty much ANYTHING gas that has a bowtie or a ram on it... :flipoff1: :fish:

But I buy junk from the 80s and 90s for reliability and cheap easy fixes, so what would I know? :dunno:

5BrothersFabrication said:
Pretty much ANYTHING diesel that came out after the 7.3, 12 valve, and 6.5...

5.9 Common Rail is alright. The 24 valve had some issues but the common rail is hard to beat. I love dad's truck. He's got a 04' with a turbo off of a 09 i believe ??? i cant remember but its variable and has an exhaust brake. It tows like a champ. easy to control EGT gets decent mileage too.

Be smart do the jd thang... find what ur looking for... google it and join all the forums associated with that model/brand and find all the issues with said vehicle and do ur research, it's actually a good idea lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've found one I like. Certified used thru toyota. So it actually will have a lifetime drivetrain warranty. Something about never having to worry about any of that any more as long as I take it in for service, makes me pretty happy.

The last four or five wheeling trips I've had to spend more time fixing my tow rig than my actual rig. Ova that crap

Highest tow rating in my price range without going to a diesel. I can't justify the added cost. A dually is out since I do so much downtown. Also, resale.

Also also, I have a friend with basically the same tundra that I'm looking at. He regularly pulls a gooseneck camper that dry weight is 7k and loaded is 9400. Zero temp issues. So I figure my Jeep and stupid heavy trailer will be just fine.

What's the tow rating on the yota? Thought about ecoboost ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

10600 on the yota

In order to get that out of an ecoboost you have to find a crew cab, long bed, 4x4 with the "max tow" package. I've not Really found any used in my price range that I actually like. When they get that long, I think they just look ridiculous. Not to mention driving and parking a crew cab long bed downtown would be hell.

It also goes back to the lifetime warranty that toyota is offering. And the fact that I like the yota better. Haha