• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

New-used truck red flags

The Luke said:
Patrick's old 450 with the 12' flatbed might be about right then

It's over in Memfrica and I still have the buyers contact info.

At 26 foot long bumper to bumper, have fun parking it downtown though.

You shouldve jumped on that 2500HD with the 8.1 that dude had posted on here in Nashville.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

My truck gets like 14 ish now and about 10 loaded down. I don't think it's going to be that big of difference. Also just got the word the my office is moving about eight miles from my house. Compared to the current 32.

The Luke said:
My truck gets like 14 ish now and about 10 loaded down. I don't think it's going to be that big of difference. Also just got the word the my office is moving about eight miles from my house. Compared to the current 32.

Dad got 18 towing to windrock last weekend with two jeeps....

I know those Tundras have the power and a high tow load rating, but my question would be how does that compare to drivability while towing vs something like a 3/4 ton gasser. Tow load on my old 2500hd 6.0L was only 10,300 lbs per the Googlez, so right along with the Tundra you are describing. But things like how the tranny is geared/shifts, differential gearing, etc also plays a part in "how well it pulls", along with brakes.

Here's a comparison between my old 2006 2500HD 6.0 vs my current 2005 1500 z71 5.3L L33 engine.

2006 2500HD 6.0L
HP - 300
Torque - 360

2005 1500 5.3L L33
HP - 310
Torque - 335

Very similar numbers, but that 3/4 ton gasser would outpull the **** out of my current truck because of how the tranny is geared, rpms it shifts at, and the 3/4 ton had 4:10's in the diffs. 3/4 ton 6.0 was rated at 10,300 towing capacity, my 1500 5.3 is rated at 7,700 towing capacity, despite little differences in engine specs.

I've heard the Tundras are good at pulling ****, just something to think about though. Just because something is "rated" to tow 10k lbs doesn't mean it will be fun doing it, much like your current truck.

blacksheep10 said:
like 11-12 empty, and same as a tundra when towing. My tundra buddies love their trucks but hate the mileage. Its bad

Also, I've heard the 8.1 trucks definitely got under 10mpg during normal driving. My old 6.0 truck got around 11mpg under normal driving and 8mpg towing my crawler and all steel car trailer, so idk :dunno: Best it ever got was 13.5mpg unloaded on the way to Auburn on back roads running 60-65mph.

Onepieceatatime has an 8.1 truck, maybe he'll chime in on current fuel economy.

Hay ima diehard ford guy but them 8.1 are hard to beat. Pull like hell and honestly are not any worse on gas then any other fullsize truck. My uncal is on his 3rd one now. He was pissed when thay quit making them

c6ea13c2ed3a593c1e5ccda1924732d5.jpg

I have a 2010 tundra with the 5.7. My enclosed is around 8-9k with my rig and all my junk. Truck has zero trouble pulling it. Now it gets about 7mpg towing but nothing gets great mileage towing heavy giant boxes behind them. With my flat deck trailer I'm around 6k i figure and it holds down 10mpg. When I first purchased my truck I drove it to Utah to go hunting and got around 15mpg. I put right at 50k on the truck in less then 2 years. It averages 13 mpg.

My dad has a 6.0 gas truck. It does not hold a light power wise or drive comfort to the tundra.

My wife says the tundra doesn't drive like a big heavy truck and enjoys driving it.

Tundra has 4.30 gears and a 6 speed auto. I have never seen any gauge move while towing except for the fuel gauge and it moves quickly at times.

My only complaint with mine being a 2010 is that it has a 26 gallon tank and the range sucks. The newer tundras have a 36 gallon tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pplblazerdude said:

I have a 2010 tundra with the 5.7. My enclosed is around 8-9k with my rig and all my junk. Truck has zero trouble pulling it. Now it gets about 7mpg towing but nothing gets great mileage towing heavy giant boxes behind them. With my flat deck trailer I'm around 6k i figure and it holds down 10mpg. When I first purchased my truck I drove it to Utah to go hunting and got around 15mpg. I put right at 50k on the truck in less then 2 years. It averages 13 mpg.

My dad has a 6.0 gas truck. It does not hold a light power wise or drive comfort to the tundra.

My wife says the tundra doesn't drive like a big heavy truck and enjoys driving it.

Tundra has 4.30 gears and a 6 speed auto. I have never seen any gauge move while towing except for the fuel gauge and it moves quickly at times.

My only complaint with mine being a 2010 is that it has a 26 gallon tank and the range sucks. The newer tundras have a 36 gallon tank.

That's pretty awesome, 4:30 gears and a 6 speed tranny sounds just right for that kinda thing.

Nice spot of land you got there, too!

Re: Re: New-used truck red flags

TacomaJD said:
Onepieceatatime has an 8.1 truck, maybe he'll chime in on current fuel economy.

10-11 empty and 9 pulling my Jeep on a car hauler. One of the best things about pulling with my truck over most other gassers I've towed with besides the torque curve is the Allison transmission, especially pulling really hilly terrain.

pplblazerdude said:

I've always liked that Toyota put the 4.30 R&Ps in these trucks. Seems like a good thing to help the trans survive.

Do you have an issue with not exceeding the rear axle weight rating? That's what I see as being a potential problem for me going from my 3/4 ton back to something like a Tundra for one weekend a month towing of ~8,000lbs. Staying under the trailer rating is easy, but after the tongue weight, plus some junk in the bed plus passengers the rear axle rating can be over. Thanks for any input.

Scott F. said:
I've always liked that Toyota put the 4.30 R&Ps in these trucks. Seems like a good thing to help the trans survive.

Do you have an issue with not exceeding the rear axle weight rating? That's what I see as being a potential problem for me going from my 3/4 ton back to something like a Tundra for one weekend a month towing of ~8,000lbs. Staying under the trailer rating is easy, but after the tongue weight, plus some junk in the bed plus passengers the rear axle rating can be over. Thanks for any input.
I use a really nice weight distribution hitch and try to load my trailer to keep tongue weight down. Also all I put in the bed is my coolers and beer.

The tundra has a hell of a rear axle in it. 10.5 inch drop out 3rd but it is a semi floater.

Plus all my spare parts and spare propane tanks sit over the trailer axles under my rock crawler
cb4f5e636e6829f620ca63850fdea1e6.jpg

I have a good bit more stuff in my storage box but this was right after i started loading it and hadn't got all my stuff in the trailer.

I feel i have it all within the safe but who knows.

No thanks. The new truck has 65k and a lifetime power train warranty. I think it's gonna work out pretty well for me

onepieceatatime said:
You shouldve jumped on that 2500HD with the 8.1 that dude had posted on here in Nashville.

That was mine. On long trips the best it got was 13. It averaged around 12 most of the time. Of course towing it went down. I can't believe to interest i got about that truck. I posted it on Facebook and it sold within a day!