• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Got a job in Memphis need advice on where to live!!!

candocantrell

Hey hardline!

I just accepted a job at Barnhart crane and rigging in Memphis. The only time I've been to Memphis was for the interview so I'm looking for some help on choosing an area to live in.
I'm relocating from middle tn.
Budget is 1000/month
I would probably be willing to drive 30-40 minutes max
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Eric

creepycrawly said:
If I had to work in Memphis, I would live in Southaven or Olive Branch, MS and commute.

Thanks for the reply
Would like to stay in TN to avoid state income tax though

Munford Atoka area is pretty nice. Their is a lot of new residential growth in atoka so the prices on newer construction is higher though. For the most part everyone try's to stay out of Shelby county. Crime rates are higher and schools aren't great if u have kids. A lot of people live in Tipton or Fayette county and commute. Both still have a lot of rural areas with everything u need relatively close. I live in Burlison tn and we have a small off-road park about 8 miles from me so that's a plus but it's pushing ur 40 min commute time. There are nice places to live in Shelby county but most are expensive.

I agree on the state income tax reason......Collierville is my vote, it has been invaded too! Keep your head on swivel, keep your valuables locked in a safe and do not leave anything valuable in your vehicle. And the best advice is do not go into bad areas of Memphis at night time (that's pretty much all of Memphis)......oh and if the Police say stop, show your hands......listen to them. You won't wake up dead. skully

Don't sound like you are even considering it but just in case it crosses your mind...... Mississippi is second highest in the US for auto insurance rates. I learned this the hard way.

My family all lived in the Germantown area but I can't remember how far that is from Memphis and how nice it is now.

If you are friends with John Allen Campbell on FB send him a message. He is a good guy and works over toward some of the worst parts of Memphis. He could probably give you some pointers of where you don't want to be.

Good places:
Germantown
Collierville
Oakland
Roseville
Mumford
Atoka
Arlington
Lakeland
Parts of Bartlett
Downtown Memphis

Anywhere is Germantown or Collierville is fine. South and west of Gtown is a no go. Riverdale Road around 385 south to Ms is rough. There are patches inside the 240 loop that are ok but I would stay towards the suburbs. I sent you a Pm I'be been here all my life so I'm familiar with the whole area.

We lived in apartments on Mud Island and loved it, but it was also the closest spot in Memphis to home (Hot Springs, AR). Made travel back home easier. Worked in Southaven, Mississippi, and went to grad school at night at UofM. I thought you just had to work in Tennessee to avoid income tax, not work AND live in Tennessee?

Most of East Memphis is pretty good but it seems to be getting pricy with people buying the old houses on big lots and building McMansions.

Mississippi has a state income tax. If you live in MS you pay the state income tax. It doesn't matter where u work. Also besides insurance being high, the car tags are crazy expensive if you have a newer vehicle. The sales tax there is cheaper than TN though. It also seems most people and business are choosing to develop the northern tip of MS.

I work around the corner from Barnhart. Its a rough neighborhood.

As far as TN. I think anything in Fayette Co with in 40 minutes is going to be pretty expensive. I hear a lot of people complain about the school system. Most people i know in Fayette county use private schools.

I am bias. I was raised nd lived in Tipton County for almost 40 years. We lived there until around a year ago. It is a good place to live and the schools have a good reputation. If I was going to be within an hour of Memphis I would choose the Munford/Atoka or /Brighton areas of Tipton County.

Renting or buying?

Boz said:
Mississippi has a state income tax. If you live in MS you pay the state income tax. It doesn't matter where u work. Also besides insurance being high, the car tags are crazy expensive if you have a newer vehicle. The sales tax there is cheaper than TN though. It also seems most people and business are choosing to develop the northern tip of MS.

I work around the corner from Barnhart. Its a rough neighborhood.

As far as TN. I think anything in Fayette Co with in 40 minutes is going to be pretty expensive. I hear a lot of people complain about the school system. Most people i know in Fayette county use private schools.

I am bias. I was raised nd lived in Tipton County for almost 40 years. We lived there until around a year ago. It is a good place to live and the schools have a good reputation. If I was going to be within an hour of Memphis I would choose the Munford/Atoka or /Brighton areas of Tipton County.

Renting or buying?

Thanks for the reply.. I will just be renting for now. Im only 23 and this is my first job since graduating from TN Tech. No kids & no wife so i'm mostly looking for a 1 BR apartment unless houses are cheaper to rent