• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Brakes

I faced similar issues with 1" and 7/8 on rear. Ive got Ford D60 w/ dual piston calipers and 14 bolt w/ chevy 3/4 tons and wilwood 7:1 pedal. I switched to 3/4 mc up front w/ residual valve and 7/8 in rear. After tweaking the pedal bias some it was night and day difference. Basically what I learned after buying 3 different MC's is the larger the diameter of the caliper piston(s) smaller MC bore size.

If you think it's the converter just throw it in netural and hit the brakes. If they are still bad it's the brakes.

Re: Re: Brakes

jmf said:
I'm running 4an braided hose. No hard line at all. I would have put residual valves but I figured my mc's were mounted high enough that it wouldn't matter.
The residuals are because of how big the caliper piston is vs the master.

To get the correct force from the master, you need the smaller master, but it cant push enough fluid to completely fill the caliper... the residual keeps the caliper full, so you don't have to pump the pedal to get brakes.

Might sound like weird question but, what size master cylinder would you suggest for 3/4 ton swap brakes but 3 of them? 2 on the front but only one on the rear axle with just one pedal and master.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Grant117 said:
Might sound like weird question but, what size master cylinder would you suggest for 3/4 ton swap brakes but 3 of them? 2 on the front but only one on the rear axle with just one pedal and master.

Pinion or drive line mounted brake in rear?

Update:

Swapped the front mc from 7/8 to 3/4 and installed residual valves. Riding around the house can't tell much of a difference. Pedal feels a little more spongy. Also bleed the brakes as recommend.

2 of the 3/4 brakes on the front and 1 on the rear is working really well with just 1 pedal and 1 inch mc

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

jmf said:
Update:

Swapped the front mc from 7/8 to 3/4 and installed residual valves. Riding around the house can't tell much of a difference. Pedal feels a little more spongy. Also bleed the brakes as recommend.

Put the 3/4 mc to the rear and the 7/8 back to the front and brakes are better. May try a 1" on the front.

Could someone post pics of the residual valve you are using an where it needs to be put in line ? Does it need to go on both front an back? Thanks

crawler nut said:
Could someone post pics of the residual valve you are using an where it needs to be put in line ? Does it need to go on both front an back? Thanks

260-13706-lg.jpg

I have one on my front MC and one on my rear MC. Just down stream from MC.

jmf said:
Put the 3/4 mc to the rear and the 7/8 back to the front and brakes are better. May try a 1" on the front.

Got the 1" on the front. I finally have great brakes. Can lock all 4 tires up.