• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Steering

jmf

Just curious of the steering difference noticed from using a double ended ram vs single ended. What about from a tractor cylinder to a psc type ram?

When we went from a single sided to a double ended we noticed that the steering was quicker, easier. and we had full steering ( had a problem with the tie rod rotating sometimes).
And it would push off the rocks easier.
We love it and would never go back to a single sided ram.

for crawling, it really doesn't matter. go fast you would want double ended. If you have the room, go double ended. If packaging is an issue, single.

my best suggestion is buy at least the orbital and ram from PSC, Howe, who ever. Unless you know a good amount about matching orbital with ram. There are also other options out there for pumps besides PSC, do a little research.

I use a TSC ram on mine and it works fine. It rotates some but I am going to rework the mounts and the ends so it doesn't rotate. Not a problem, but not ideal.

I've been using a tsc ram as well for years. It works ok. Just wanted to see if it would be worth it going to a double ended ram.

jmf said:
I've been using a tsc ram as well for years. It works ok. Just wanted to see if it would be worth it going to a double ended ram.

Depending on the size tire you run, double ended is the only way to go in my opinion. It is a push/push type of situation rather than push one direction and pull it all the way back the other way. I recently changed mine from the single to the double and notice a huge improvement in quicker turning response.

ADMINISTRATOR

I went with the whole kit from psc with the p pump and 2 3/4" de ram. My steering was awesome.

Thanks for all the comments. I'm running 43s and have a psc pump What cc orbital is everyone running? I'm not sure what mine is. It is an Eaton and has the p/n: 200-0757-002.

wizzo said:
for crawling, it really doesn't matter. go fast you would want double ended. If you have the room, go double ended. If packaging is an issue, single.

my best suggestion is buy at least the orbital and ram from PSC, Howe, who ever. Unless you know a good amount about matching orbital with ram. There are also other options out there for pumps besides PSC, do a little research.

I've actually found that double ended was easier to package. That's why all my shitty Toyotas ended up with double ended rams... but the axle was always occupying the same space as the frame/harmonic balancer/radiator.

Having a stationary object mounted in close to the axle with only the little tie rods swinging was much easier to fit in tight space around the frame/engine, than a big swinging tie rod with a ram piggy-backed on it somewhere.

Plus DE drive better, and is easier to protect (since you have to mount the ram anyway, just make it an axle bumper/skid)

Dang...some of you autocrossing your rigs? Everything points to the DE being better.....but WORTH it is what comes down to me. Extra joints, short arms aren't as flexible if rock contact happens.....not many places around that'd carry a DE ram if serious failure happens.

Sure the SE ram has the different speeds/power on the push pull.....but has that ever hindered anyone in a make it/don't make it situation?

I've been dumped over on my side on Little Mule at Windrock and the "weak" side still pushed my whole rig over.

Simple design for non racing use, only 2 joints and big long single piece of .250 wall steel / 7075 aluminum that will take a better shock load.

My whole rig is built around the keep it simple stupid method. Couldn't ask for a better one for my goals.

CHASMAN9 said:
Depending on the size tire you run, double ended is the only way to go in my opinion. It is a push/push type of situation rather than push one direction and pull it all the way back the other way. I recently changed mine from the single to the double and notice a huge improvement in quicker turning response.

ADMINISTRATOR

and you still can't miss the one tree on the course......

jeeptj99 said:
and you still can't miss the one tree on the course......

This is true. I guess I need to look into a Triple Ram set up or a snow plow bumper. molaugh

ADMINISTRATOR

CHASMAN9 said:
ADMINISTRATOR

Only differences in terms of function are going to be :

1) the volume of each ram chambers being identical left to right (in a DE ram) or different left to right (in a SE ram). This will affect the speed the shaft moves in and out for a given steering input and the number of turns the orbital has to be turned in order to move the shaft a certain set distance.

2) the surface of the ram piston being identical left to right (in a DE ram) or different left to right (in a SE ram). This will affect the force the ram is able to make. Actually a SE ram will have a greater force in one direction (the one pushing the shaft out will be "stronger") compared to the DE which will have the same force on both sides (which is comparable to a SE pushing the shaft end in).

In order for your steering setup to have improved the speed of the turning response, the big difference had to be a different volume in the ram. It makes complete sense, especially on the non-shaft side.

By personal experience, I can recommend going DE ram if any kind of fast travel speed will be achieved, but for a strict crawler a SE ram will be just fine IMO.
My buggy is going to be SE for now because that's what I've got. And I'm not too worried about that.

EDIT : Also, know that some unequal volume orbitals exist in order to have the same number of turns and speed in both directions with a SE ram.

TBItoy said:
I've actually found that double ended was easier to package. That's why all my shitty Toyotas ended up with double ended rams... but the axle was always occupying the same space as the frame/harmonic balancer/radiator.

Having a stationary object mounted in close to the axle with only the little tie rods swinging was much easier to fit in tight space around the frame/engine, than a big swinging tie rod with a ram piggy-backed on it somewhere.

Plus DE drive better, and is easier to protect (since you have to mount the ram anyway, just make it an axle bumper/skid)

I agree 100%

Latest posts