• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Information is power

Eddyj

"I believe the currency of life is experience, the more you do the richer you are. Also, bad experiences are more valuable"
I'm fortunate to get to experience a lot of new obstacles in my day to day life. It gives me a chance to grow as a person and gain knowledge. I have challenged myself to learn a minimum of one valuable piece of information everyday and share it to see who else needs this information.

I'm not saying I'll make a post everyday or you should, but if you learn something valuable share it. Maybe someone can expand on it.

Today I challenged my employees to do the same. To learn something everyday at the end of the week share what you learned, whoever learned the most valuable information gets a bonus.

Eddyj said:
Today I challenged my employees to do the same. To learn something everyday at the end of the week share what you learned, whoever learned the most valuable information gets a bonus.

How do you determine value on something learned? Valuable to the company? Valuable to help the person grow? What might be valuable knowledge to one person might not be much use to the next.

Jduck said:

How do you determine value on something learned? Valuable to the company? Valuable to help the person grow? What might be valuable knowledge to one person might not be much use to the next.

In associate meetings, countermeasures and root cause analysis I have used the "WD-40" story to some. In most cases it has helped bring morale and thinking outside the box answers and idea's.

It's not about being smart or a hard worker, it's about not repeating past failures and expecting different results.

Had a boss tell me once that God gave you 2 eyes, 2 ears, and only one mouth for a reason. Spend 80% of your time watching and listening and only 20% talking and you'll be a lot better off.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Jduck said:

Excellent question. I don't know, if I have 2 that are equally valuable I'll post on here for a vote.
I'm in a unique position my employees are usually at low point in their life when they start working for me. I'm not looking for a lifetime employee, I want a guy who needs to get his **** together, work 2 or 3 seasons with me and get back on track and move on with their life.

onepieceatatime said:
Had a boss tell me once that God gave you 2 eyes, 2 ears, and only one mouth for a reason. Spend 80% of your time watching and listening and only 20% talking and you'll be a lot better off.

A wise old owl sat in a tree
The longer he looked, the more he could see
The more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke, the more he heard
Why can't we be more like that wise old bird

Here is a saying I use a lot when working cattle, but it is definitely applicable in other activities also. "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast".

Re: Re: Information is power

AllGoNoShow said:
Here is a saying I use a lot when working cattle, but it is definitely applicable in other activities also. "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast".
I remember watching a thing on TV about Nascar pit crews and they talked about the fact that they were so fast because the practiced things slowly until they developed their routine and eliminated ways they would make mistakes and then would slowly start going faster until the point where you see them flying through **** on TV but they can only be that fast by not making mistakes. I try to imply that into my job every day.

AllGoNoShow said:

I've always applied that to drawing and shooting from concealment..

"Don't stomp on the toes that might be connected to the ass you may have to kiss tomorrow."

Old machine superintendent advice as I told a 22 yr process engineer to go sit in the office and let the actually worker's do the job. He already knew but 6 months later she was the machine superintendent.

My other favorite was a "former" employee that used to tell them all the time "there is a reason why you sit in an office and we work on a machine" :rolf:

Probably not words of inspiration but very true in both cases.

Mike Tyson once said "Everyone has a plan until they get hit in the face" which is true. Planners with no experience can't execute when their plan gets hit in the face and experience with no plan is chaos from the begining. Plan well, execute your plan until it is altered and lean on experience to finish (task, job, project, fight, etc) as close to planned as possible.

halcat said:
Roses are red
Violets are purple
Sugar is sweet
And so is maple surpal
Im the 7th out of 7 sons my pappy was a pistol im a sonofa gun

Re: Re: Information is power

onepieceatatime said:
I remember watching a thing on TV about Nascar pit crews and they talked about the fact that they were so fast because the practiced things slowly until they developed their routine and eliminated ways they would make mistakes and then would slowly start going faster until the point where you see them flying through **** on TV but they can only be that fast by not making mistakes. I try to imply that into my job every day.

This is exactly why I coach baseball the way I do. Once you go over a scenario so many times, it becomes second nature. When you are in a game and have to think about what happens when you get the ball, you slow way down. If it is a reaction, it speeds things way up.

"Repetition is the father of learning"

Ok so payday is here, I asked each employee what was the most valuable thing that you learned working with me this week.
1. Commutator rings hurt when you touch them.
2. Never saddle a dead horse
3. Never trust women
4. How to measure pipe and tube

What is the most valuable?

Latest posts