• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Electric power steering

Eddyj

I know people of been using these for a couple of years now. What is the best set up for a lightweight rig from the junk yard?

I never knew that Saturn Vues had electric steering even though I owned one. Guess it's gaining traction as a popular Rzr upgrade. Waiting on a kit for my Ranger.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Junk yard has a "kit"
The grass routes drift crowd has been using them for a while, also I believe the European guys been using them.

EPS is taking over just like Unit Bearings did the tried and true spindle/tapered bearings. Only a matter of time....

So now instead of repacking/replacing 30-50$ bearings, you get to buy $350 unit bearings. :)

Chrysler 300 has a decent setup I think. Check out the kid buggy page on f.b. ive seen quite a few on there using different ones

Put a lift kit on a 2012 f150 this weekend with it, turns 35x12.50's sitting still lock to lock with ease.

Anyone have a crash course on how it works?

so has anyone hooked this to a steering box?

electric power column to manual box?

or is there an electric steering pump?

how do find the EPS column thingamajigs at a part store or on rockauto?

I got to looking into this and it shows here that it is a belt driven deal. Anyone know if this is true?

330h6aq.jpg

Re: Re: Electric power steering

civicmindedex79 said:
I got to looking into this and it shows here that it is a belt driven deal. Anyone know if this is true?

330h6aq.jpg
Some of them... the Saturn vue one is all in the column. My wife's durango uses a massive electric pump, with a traditional power rack.

Here is a vue column:

s-l225.jpg

Electric steering is awesome. Not electric over hydraulic i mean full blown electric. No fluid no mess no guesswork when you have a problem. It has programmable adaptive assist that can react to speed, load, and how fast you yank the wheel. Its years from going on a big buggy but its coming. The f150 has a pretty neat self contained unit that may work on smaller rigs but good luck finding someone to program it stand alone. They have sensors in the column that look for inputs you would also have to use.