• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

I’m sure this has been covered.......

money_pit_yj

Debating between a Denali with a 6.2 or a 15 passenger van to tow with. I am getting a company truck and the wife is getting a TJ to commute in so it will be driven on vacations, hauling the rig and camping trips. Trailer and RZR and Jeep bump about 7k lbs. (maybe less) and only get pulled 5-6 times a year. Denali is "cooler" but the van seems like it would be nice to throw camping and bikes and junk in the back and rock out, plus it's 3/4 ton. So Denali with a 6.2 and a more cool pout s or a 3/4 ton 15 passenger van with 0 cool points a tad bit of creeepy but a ton of versatility and practicality. :dunno:

Denali's also have bags in the rear if you're talking SUV style, not denali pickup. Buddy had a 6.2 one, pulling an enclosed and got OUT OF CONTROL in front of us. It was the shorter one, like the Tahoe length, not burban. Didn't like to tow well, even with load equalizer, didn't have sway control deal.
Vans aren't that uncool. Not sure you'll get what engine you want in it. Buddy has a dmax van. Not sure if swapped or factory, I just see him driving it around town and have never asked particulars on how it came to be.

The big question here is do you really want to drive a big dumb non handling van everyday? Yes they are useful, but unless I absolutely had to drive one everyday, there is no way I could stand it.

I'm looking at a van to replace my half ton. I think this is the better/cheaper way for me to have a place to sleep in and something that can tow better than my current vehicle.

I would miss having a bed to throw **** in that i didnt want inside the truck. Muddy Stuff. Wet Stuff. Smelly stuff. etc.

Maybe I'm wrong but wouldn't a crew cab 2500HD with 8' bed and camper shell do pretty much everything you need it to? And why a denali? Just for the little bit bigger engine and awd? Just seems like there are 27 better options than either of the two you are trying to choose between. :dunno:

Buddy of mine has a for Econoline 4 wheel drive with a 4bt cummins in it. It's also got the pop up top and has all the stuff inside it except shower and toilet.

TacomaJD said:
Maybe I'm wrong but wouldn't a crew cab 2500HD with 8' bed and camper shell do pretty much everything you need it to? And why a denali? Just for the little bit bigger engine and awd? Just seems like there are 27 better options than either of the two you are trying to choose between. :dunno:

the_white_shadow said:
I would miss having a bed to throw **** in that i didnt want inside the truck. Muddy Stuff. Wet Stuff. Smelly stuff. etc.

I am getting a company truck at the first of the year so I will have that to throw stuff in and do "truck stuff" with and drive daily.

I am going to get my wife a TJ because she is about to drive me crazy for a jeep.

In order to keep from having 4 vehicles (Company truck, family travel vehicle, Tow pig, and Jeep) I want to combine the middle two. I hook a trailer and pull stuff a lot and generally a half ton with a 5.3 will handle it, but the Jeep/rzr combo is a little heavy. There is always the option of buying a Class C motorhome and using it as a Tow pig and just have half ton truck and Jeep. Decisions, decisions.

money_pit_yj said:
State and local police frown upon having kids in the bed of a truck.

so you arent looking at a denali truck then?

???

the 6.2 in the denali yukon/suburbans dont' really make them tow any better than any other 1/2 ton truck

money_pit_yj said:
State and local police frown upon having kids in the bed of a truck.

How many kids you haulin'? You ain't got but 2 right? Crew cab diesel truck = decent fuel mileage, great tow capacity, seats 5+, 8' bed + camper shell for dry storage of luggage on vacation or good place for an air mattress to camp.

TBItoy said:

It make very little sense to have a 3/4 ton 4x4 to get my Jeep to off Road parks 6 times a year at most. I would love to find a 1500HD. But you can get a lot of van for the money. Tint, rims, black paint with a red stripe and it is kind of cool. Take the back two seats out and plenty of cargo area. Like Enzo said, place to sleep when we go ride bikes or Jeep with just me and my oldest.