• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

I’m sure this has been covered.......

I just bought a van for this purpose. Grew up with vans in my family and missed their versatility. I'm done with diesels... had them all, bulletproofed them all, spent tons of money repairing them all.

Wanted dry camping, and decent towing but multi - passenger, (son started college this year, playing football at James Madison university -4 hours away - lots of games to go to with tailgating) . And of course towing the Comanche on wheeling weekends.

Van fits the bill. Writing it off under Cutler Fab.

2016 3500 Chevy Express Extended. 6.0, 6l80, baby 14 bolt, 12 passenger, air bags all around, 110 a.c. outlet, front/ rear air, back up camera, 5800 curb weight, 9600 gvwr, 16,000 gcwr. Don't like the new euro style vans; ford is a unibody with piss poor gvwr, and biggest gas engine is a puny v6- didn't even look at the dodge, Nissan, or Mercedes. Chevy has the only cab on frame traditional van with a gas v8. AND it doesn't have the extra cabin just tacked on there end of the standard cabin. The Chevy extended version, is actually a longer wheelbase at 155".

Got it around $20g with 35k miles and remainder of factory warranty (5y/60k), previously a rental.

Got 18 mpg driving up to the university last weekend with 5 passengers. Uphill both ways...

Pop all the seats out, plenty of room for activities, throw down couple sleeping bags, couple mesh window screens add a roof rack and an ARB awning with screen room.

869b85b225120d2ca167ff652dec3582.jpg

db7b8cec2d3ed3cb138282774f036bb0.jpg

Still have an f450 crew v10 for hauling my recycling business, f250 std cab long bed 5.4 gas back up truck, wife's ford edge, and the manche.

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Tapatalk

If you don't haul to make money you own a diesel for cool points. :****:

I'd go for a van if it was for tow duties or family vacation, as long as it is a secondary vehicle your money ahead IMO. Trucks are expensive period

P said:
If you don't haul to make money you own a diesel for cool points. :****:

I'd go for a van if it was for tow duties or family vacation, as long as it is a secondary vehicle your money ahead IMO. Trucks are expensive period

I'm "supposed" to be getting a company truck so it would be a secondary vehicle per say. Even if it's not, I got nothing to prove. I out kicked my coverage on the wife, I'm not that cool even in a cool truck and I am overweight and have a small case of Dunlap disease so there is not much a van can hurt :rolf:

Re: Re: I'm sure this has been covered.......

CarolinaCrawler1 said:
Just for future reference, Nissan also makes a traditional cab on frame van with a v8, the nv series vans.
Ten four, I didn't look at them, aside from appearance, or research them, not a fan of their v8 or the euro styling- LS all day over any other for me. Their specs are not bad, but that is one ugly SOB.

015cc41b95d0bb2bae080c60e8cf32b6.jpg

e60a520a6ad0fc2e931e71a43914c10b.jpg

f6b658907b03aae9b09aaa567aeb227a.jpg

Cutler

mcutler said:
I just bought a van for this purpose. Grew up with vans in my family and missed their versatility. I'm done with diesels... had them all, bulletproofed them all, spent tons of money repairing them all.

Wanted dry camping, and decent towing but multi - passenger, (son started college this year, playing football at James Madison university -4 hours away - lots of games to go to with tailgating) . And of course towing the Comanche on wheeling weekends.

Van fits the bill. Writing it off under Cutler Fab.

2016 3500 Chevy Express Extended. 6.0, 6l80, baby 14 bolt, 12 passenger, air bags all around, 110 a.c. outlet, front/ rear air, back up camera, 5800 curb weight, 9600 gvwr, 16,000 gcwr. Don't like the new euro style vans; ford is a unibody with piss poor gvwr, and biggest gas engine is a puny v6- didn't even look at the dodge, Nissan, or Mercedes. Chevy has the only cab on frame traditional van with a gas v8. AND it doesn't have the extra cabin just tacked on there end of the standard cabin. The Chevy extended version, is actually a longer wheelbase at 155".

Got it around $20g with 35k miles and remainder of factory warranty (5y/60k), previously a rental.

Got 18 mpg driving up to the university last weekend with 5 passengers. Uphill both ways...

Pop all the seats out, plenty of room for activities, throw down couple sleeping bags, couple mesh window screens add a roof rack and an ARB awning with screen room.

Still have an f450 crew v10 for hauling my recycling business, f250 std cab long bed 5.4 gas back up truck, wife's ford edge, and the manche.

How long until Cutler Fab does a Solid axle Swap on the new van???

The Nissan nv is not a bad van, got a buddy with a black one, panel sides. tons of room and the v8 is a stout engine. But I'd rather go with a chevy as well.

We had a 1984 ambulance I bought on Ebay for 1200.00.
The 460 towed great. The back slept two nice and more lights inside and outside than you ever needed. lots of storage.

I would still have it, but a buddy needed a tow rig and I Inherited a truck.

standard.jpg

ridered3 said:
How long until Cutler Fab does a Solid axle Swap on the new van???
Got the Manche's new chauffer ready for travel today.

12'x5'4" of space for activities. Two 32x80 cots with roomy storage underneath.

Frankly, as quick and easy as this was, I don't think I'll do any interior modifications or permanent fixtures for future off road trips. The storage afforded under the cots takes care of my needs, and the bench seats slide out in about 5 minutes. Now if I was going alone, I wouldn't remove the seats at all, or if there are more than 2 people, we would just bunk down in the floor on some padding.

4e80ddd0d8f362dc65ae44ed2394fdc0.jpg

bce77169d4acb3700f35e67e32cce501.jpg

b2d6f659e3f44a8d6fb7cad2ba62bcde.jpg

c174ea2d2276ebd4e016cb5dfd5d6e20.jpg

89450b41fc0ae9a144b7e6822bff8275.jpg

Cutler

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

How did the craftsmen generator run?
I bought a generec two years ago on clearance at Costco and it wouldn't run my freezer or A/C. I wanted a Honda but they spensive.

Eddyj said:
How did the craftsmen generator run?
I bought a generec two years ago on clearance at Costco and it wouldn't run my freezer or A/C. I wanted a Honda but they spensive.
I let you know after Dixie run!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I needed something that would fit into parking decks at work, traffic, and towing so I went with a 6.2L Denali to tow my rig. Very happy with it and honestly the air ride is nice.

Other than the DOD it's a great rig and very happy with it.

Latest posts