• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

2rz/3rz toyota Trans and t-case options

billstoy

2rz/3rz auto ?
I'm looking for a upgrade on a Toyota case. may go th350. need a small light case with 5 to 1 options.
Yes I looked at atlas, may do 2 sp.

Re: Stak t-cases

Yup, all of the above. I have a 3 speed monster in my XJ, I have had no issues. Not for sale though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Re: Stak t-cases or toyota options

looking for a light, maybe direct drive case, Options ?

billstoy said:

https://behemothdrivetrain.com/collections/colossus-cases/products/dana-300-colossus-case

I know this guy got a bad rep in the past but I have talked with him a few times recently and he is doing everything he can to make things right. He is making some really cool stuff now. This Colossus box may be an option but they aren't cheap. I am considering the 205 case for the weight saving and the possibility of turning my 203/205 doubler into a 4 speed.

billstoy said:

5:1 Atlas is what I would do. Tried and true. Trailworthy Fab makes the Hero case which is what came out of the Stak purchase/takeover. But those cases are bigger and heavier than and Atlas, and more $$$. The mini Stak doesn't exist anymore and you would not want anything Stak anyway because they are no longer supported.

You could look at SCS direct drive cases.
https://www.scsgearbox.com/

If you really just want a simple single speed case, one of these SCS "Straight thru" cases would be your best bet.

https://www.scsgearbox.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Straight-Thru-Powerglide.pdf

Straight-Thru-Powerglide-300x212.jpg

Or if you want really light weight, just build a chain drive reduction into the chassis

transfercase3_zps4080d10c.jpg

what transmission are you going to be running Bill? I've gone round and round on this topic.. Do I keep the yota transmission? if so do I buy the $500 atlas to yota trans. adapter? If so, where do I find one? Do I swap out an auto? If so why not just go ahead and do a motor swap while I'm at it? all of the above means new drive shafts...rabbit hole

I wouldn't mind investing in a better case but that seems to be the cheap part in all those options :dunno:

let me know what you end up doing either way

From my understanding you can use the 22r bellhousing on a 2.7 5 speed trans then put an atlas right on the back of it

Supercharged 3.4 toyota v6 to toy 5spd, toy crawlbox to 3.8 atlas.

I went through what sounds like the same deciding factors as you and that's what I came up with. I had dual toyota cases at first then decided I needed a stronger case. I looked at all the options and the cheapest and best suited one was to go with the atlas behind my crawlbox to give me essentially a 4spd tcase. It works very well and I'm extremely happy with it. You won't regret spending the money and having the piece of mind knowing it will stay together.

C4 transmission and Atlas behind a 22r
GotPropane buggy.
311705d1182866672-got-propane-truck-gets-makeover-year-atlas-back.jpg

I did not know this post was still going... I want to go non computer automatic. May do th350 ,, looking into direct drive. I need light, as I can.. Want to go auto.. I have a early 22r auto. I don't know how tough they are. I could go adapter to crawl box to atlas. Need short, tight and light.
Been told I'm stubborn, I would always stay Toyota. But in this case. May be harder on it than ever on it.. non-computer, Turbo, 2rz. Plan to beat it like a bouncer. :spin:

You gonna get a 2rz with a distributor and run propane ?

I'd probably run a th350 and straight drive scs.

LCE adapter plate and a custom torque converter (which you would need anyway)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ToyotaTom said:
C4 transmission and Atlas behind a 22r
GotPropane buggy.
311705d1182866672-got-propane-truck-gets-makeover-year-atlas-back.jpg

I think Mo and I looked into this a few years ago and I believe the issue was trying to track down the adapter for it. Just like the yota 5 speed to atlas adapter, its really expensive and a pain to try to find.

Re: 2rz/2rz toyota Trans and t-case options

still doing my research,, Looks like the SCS may be out. the 10.5" drop is over 20" over all . I am still looking for other options. may be stuck with a 2sp atlas. need 5 or 6 to 1 in a small package.

billstoy said:
still doing my research,, Looks like the SCS may be out. the 10.5" drop is over 20" over all . I am still looking for other options. may be stuck with a 2sp atlas. need 5 or 6 to 1 in a small package.

You should be able to fit a 4spd atlas. My crawlbox atlas combo is behind a toyota 5spd and inside a 105" wheelbase. Hope that helps with visualizing size.

What is the one pictured with the c4 ? looks long to me.

billstoy said:
What is the one pictured with the c4 ? looks long to me.

maybe because the trans is really short + the adapters ?

a 4 speed atlas with the short rear output (no speedo or VSS) is ~14", Toyota case is about 13" iirc.

Atlas%20length%20with%20flange_small.jpg